What to take for comps

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by sbrnsmith, Jul 10, 2013.

1. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Besides the obvious, dress, shoes, makeup etc, what do you guys pack to take for comps?

2. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Easy snacks, water or gatorade, or both, sweat towel, robe, comfy shoes and clothes, a set of nice clothes if there is a show, and a bottle of liquor or wine for after competing.

theAnnelis likes this.
  3. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

Looking only at the topic subject, and not the content: "Lessons"

Bailamosdance likes this.
  4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

All I bring if it's just one day is my dress, fishnets, an extra pair of fishnets if I'm thinking, makeup kit including extra bobby pins, hair spray, hair gel, hairnets, my comp makeup, makeup remover wipes, a fine-tooth comb, deodorant, PAINKILLERS (enough to share and usually at least two kinds), my studio jacket (which ones depends on who's on the judging panel ;) ) and my everyday purse (wallet, etc.) Overnight, just add usual hotel overnight stuff and my laptop as I cannot be pried off a decent wireless connection. I don't bother with food or beverage except in the very rare situation where the comp's not in a hotel--they have water coolers in the on-deck, usually, and most hotels have at least a Starbucks or similar so if I want to eat before I'm done, there's something available.

5. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

To OP...do you mean for the entire comp week, or just to the ballroom that day?

On the actual day, I make sure I have two pairs of shoes in case one breaks, plus comfy slippers for in between, warm robe/ sweater/jacket, cuz it's freezing when you are not dancing, Tylenol, iPhone for texting pro or other dance friends, reading glasses (sigh), pen, paper.

I used to take bottled water but there is usually water there. I used to bring snacks, but as long as I keep up with meals, I'm fine.

For the whole comp experience, lately I've been trying to dress up more for the evening shows, so I'll bring dressier clothes and accessories, but comfy clothes for travel.

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

oh lord...let me think about this;

essential:

make-up; eye shadows, mascara, pencil, liner, lashes and glue
    lip stain, foundation, blush, powder, body glitter, self -tanner just in case

mouthwash, breath strips, deodorant, white strips, toothpaste, toothbrush, floss, baby powder, shampoo, conditioner, exfoliant

hose, robes, numerous pairs of dance shoes, gowns, jewelry, hand towels

hairspray, flat iron, curling iron, small clear hairbands, bobbypins, super glue, needle and thread, safety pins. travel wine, advil, bengay

comfortable casual clothes and crocs, evening gown and wrap

bottles of lo-cal gatorade or vitamin water, bottles of unsweet tea...just off the top of my head

7. raindance

raindance Active Member

I now realize that you meant pantyhose there at the end of the above section, but on first read through I was picturing a garden hose, and thinking that was really overkill for washing off the makeup, exfoliant, etc. LOL.

Sorry for the sidetrack, I probably just need more sleep!

stash likes this.
  8. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I used to do this, but they added so much weight and bulk. Now I bring a water bottle and some sports drink mix and use that.

9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

I just buy the electrolyte replacement on site usually

10. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

11. sbrnsmith

Sorry, I should have clarified... I meant the few days of comp, not just to the ballroom. I did not take more than one pair of shoes, but I now know at least 2 pairs is necessary. How many of you take an extra costume just in case? Also what about cell phones in the ballroom? I don't have a place to stash it, except if I carry a small snack bag. My pro doesn't keep his phone during comp the entire day, so it's not like I can call him. Everyone else can wait till I'm done competing, so I figure phone is best left in hotel room. I used to take bottle of water, but stopped cos they always have it there. I always do take a jacket or cover-up for in between dances. What about cash? It's difficult to find a place to carry cash. I do take my laptop or iPad for use in hotel room. Basically for comps, it's amazing how much stuff there is to carry. Driving is easier than flying for this reason, but of course not always possible.

12. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I bring my phone to the ballroom with me. There's plenty of noise in the ballroom, and I carry what's essentially a fair-sized murse with me anyways. (It's actually my bag from Millenium in 2012. It's actually quite handy. My am partner wears the robe I got as a participation gift for the competition. Say what you will about that comp, but I don't think one can deny that it has nice swag. :D ) There's often a fair bit of downtime between heats. And, well, I'm not going to lie. There's only so much syllabus dancing I can watch before I need a break.

Personally, I generally don't bring much cash to the competitions. If it's pro-am, I'll try to bring enough to buy a program, as I like to have one. Beyond that, I usually go with just enough for incidentals like a sammich if my schedule doesn't allow for a real lunch break.

When I'm dancing am-am, I essentially bring an extra costume. That's a very different thing for me than it would be for the ladies though. Although my am partner did bring two dresses for standard our last competition as we had serious questions about the syllabus legality of the dress she really wanted to wear. As a guy, I'll make a point of bringing an extra tie to the ballroom with me. I was downright delighted when a gent from another studio was looking for one my last competition. Finally, my foresight paid off for someone! :)

13. fascination

I have my cell phone so that if someone is not in the ballroom and should be, I can text them....also as a second alarm...but yes, I leave it on silent in the ballroom...i take my lap top in order to decompress later, but never in the ballroom...as to cash...if I anticipate purchasing something, I will put a small amount of cash in one small compartment of my dance bag...I try not to use the water that the ballroom provides b/c there is usually spilled water all over the place around that and I don't want to gunk up my shoes....as to extra costuming, because I have it and I sweat profusely, I always bring it...as to shoes, I usually have an extra pair of every shoe I compete in, because I have had a shoe take a dump on me more than once at a comp

re: electrolytes, you would be surprised at how many times I have been to a comp where it was located inconveniently to running out to find stuff off site and in which there was no gatorade type substance on site...it happens...and I hate the powder...driving is easier, especially after trophies and medals

14. Mr 4 styles

HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I don't take an extra costume. Cell phone is a must...on silent of course...but necessary to text back and forth between pro, other students, take pictures for Facebook and text results to friends back home. I bring cash cuz there are a few things that are cash only systems at a comp. I don't bring iPad to ballroom, don't need it there since I have phone.

16. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

In addition to what's been mentioned a few biggies:

EXTRA SHOELACES - Nothing like having one of these snap at an inconvenient time.
    Sewing kit.
    Blistex blister spray.
    Binder reinforcers - paper numbers tend to tear after sweating through the back of my shirt by the third day of a comp and these greatly extend their longevity.

Other stuff mentioned but worth repeating:
    Snacks - organic nuts, bananas
    Drinks - Gatorade
    Clothing - I actually bring an entire extra costume in all black. It's nice to have a backup but more often than not I end up lending out ties, collar stays, vests, and even shirts and trousers.

17. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I have a cell phone, but only because without it I don't have a watch. I destroy watches and get lazy about replacing batteries so basically I don't bother having one any more.

I actually find people bringing some foods a bit annoying--I can't stand being near someone eating a banana, for example (in any situation in that case, but really irritating in enclosed spaces)--basically anything with a noticeable odor to it, especially fruity smells. It's really unpleasant.

18. fascination

I won't bring food if I am only in the ballroom for 4 hours or less....but if I am trapped there interminably, a banana will happen...shrug...mainly, I hate eating while competing and I try to avoid it

SwayWithMe and Mr 4 styles like this.
  19. sbrnsmith

Nuts, like almonds are the best snack. I too avoid eating during comps if I can, but fuel up soon after I'm done. Some of the gels runners use are great for energy. However, not everyone will like them . I find pro dancers in general don't eat while competing. Just something I've noticed.

20. Mr 4 styles

ditto a hand full of nuts maybe or if I have seven rounds of smooth with no lunch like millennium:eek: an energy bar cliff bar to be exact