What to take for comps

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by sbrnsmith, Jul 10, 2013.

1. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

nuts just smell bad on my breath and aren't worth it for me...but I get their value
  3. fascination

as to other threads;
    yea...we do, but the last time I tried to merge threads, all hell and mayhem broke loose..so, it is what it is :)
    FancyFeet likes this.
  4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

even almonds?? the seem mostely odorless
  5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I just don't find I have any desire to eat. I try to be reasonable and eat something before I go to the ballroom, but after that I'm not really interested in eating. It might have something to do with the whole strange time sense, too--being in a windowless room with not-very-natural lighting for hours on end really messes with my sense of time.
    dancelvr likes this.
  6. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

Agreed. I make myself eat a few bites at breakfast then don't eat a meal till I'm done dancing. I admit to sneaking in some candy when I get shaky from low blood sugar. Not healthy, I know, but I try to eat a nutritious dinner. What about alcohol? Anyone brave enough to indulge in comp week? I don't.
  7. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I don't bring much in the way of food - snacks at best, usually breakfast bars or energy bars, maybe a bit of fruit. Always the cell phone - my pro brings his, but he's usually running around juggling rounds and students, so I end up texting and calling his students for him when they don't show up on time. Usually bring a little bit of cash, but also one credit card or debit card for the impulse buys in the ballroom (rare, but running back up to your room, or worse to another hotel, to get a method of payment is a pain). Big must have - safety pins and extra bobby pins. If I don't need them, someone else will. Comfy shoes for before and after all dancing, something warm to wear over the costume, and, because it's me, usually a Band-Aid or two for the inevitable self-injury.

Outside of the comp itself, all of the usual hotel stuff...plus nice clothes for each evening I will be attending but not dancing, decent clothes for the ballroom for any days (or long hours) I will be in the ballroom but not dancing, and a whole separate suitcase just for hair products. And, of course, tanning lotion, fishnets, extra dance shoes (never needed them, but it's like a security blanket). The things I used to take, but somehow never need these days? Anything non-dancing to pass the time.
  8. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

I did my very first comp (pro-am silver) a few weeks ago and the most important thing in my bag was my headphones. I listened to music to chill out, to pump myself up, to warm up, give me confidence and to practice my routines. I think I would have been a wreck before that very first dance without that prep.
  9. fascination

alcohol...before dancing; not more than one...after dancing but dancing the next day; more than three is courting disaster...when completely done; no one's business
    billman, jjs914, stash and 3 others like this.
  10. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

This sounds almost exactly like me! I have to force a down a few bites of food (usually half of a whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter), then I don't eat again until I'm finished dancing. I don't do the candy thing, because I don't want anything gumming up my teeth. About the alcohol....once, when I was dancing latin (I do Standard now), I took a shot of Stoli before my heats. I can't say for certain what the actual effect was, but I will say it was my most successful competition to date. :rolleyes: After dancing....all bets are off. As I only dance one style, multiple days of dancing are not a concern of mine, so....bring on the martinis. :hungry:
  11. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

You're a stronger person than I am. We had a margarita night at our local studio a few weeks ago. I had *one* drink, which was followed shortly thereafter by a quickstep which I danced with my am partner. The results were ... amusing. I may possibly be a cheap date. :oops:
    dancelvr likes this.
  12. fascination

lol....I have built up a tolerance, and probably also outweigh you :)
  13. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I only bring food because I know there will be a limited number of places where I can get food because of my allergy. We usually stick together as a team, so we didn't really leave the site except for late lunches and dinners. I've just learned that I rather have snacks or something closer to a full lunch on me at all times then being able to find nothing besides the few candies I can eat at a snack bar.

I have thought about having a little bit before I compete to try and loosen up a bit. But I could have no more than half a glass... Total lightweight here.
  14. Mr 4 styles

ive met you both I don't thinks so fasc but jude could bulk up a little :eek:

25 minutes of yoga first thing in the morning will handle that no calories!!
  15. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

I usually would bring an extra costume when competing and an old pair of shoes, just in case.

As far as not having some place to carry a cell and a small amount of cash, I always put that stuff in my shoe bag and carried that down to the ballroom with me...along with hairspray and lipstick/gloss to reapply. I rarely used the phone, but you never know when you might need your partner/pro and he has mysteriously disappeared!
  16. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I don't mind the calories so much... Yoga is amazing I will give it that. But I don't think it'll keep me calm for the entire day. lol

Partners have the wonderful habit of disappearing when you most need them...
  17. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

Partners have the wonderful habit of disappearing when you most need them...[/quote]

True story!
  18. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have my doubts as well on the first point. No arguments on the second. When I win the lottery and move to New York, I'm totally hiring Andrey Begunov to be my personal trainer. :p
  19. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I only drank before (or rather between) heats one year at Ohio--had to fly in that morning (God help anyone who has to be an airport with me-I HATE flying and find the entire experience miserable) borrow a hotel room because my own roommate wasn't there yet, change, makeup, hair, compete and by that point I was wobbling through Bolero. Rhythm Pro took me seriously about needing a drink, and actually? It worked. After only if it went really, REALLY badly and I don't have to drive anywhere.
  20. Mr 4 styles

true dat he is ripped!!

Rodney yee power yoga for flexibility give it a try