What to take for comps

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by sbrnsmith, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I keep forgetting to put slippers on my list for those times where i'm waiting around the ballroom area in costume (or 'non costume' syllabus wear) and want to take my shoes off, but don't want to wear my street shoes.
  2. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

I have a pair of cute black and red dragon pattern china flats that are perfect for comps - harder soled so you can run outside to the car if needed, but flat, roomy, and comfy - and slip-on - for between heats.
  3. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I love my ugg boots for in the ballroom, but I typically can't take my shoes off until I'm done dancing or putting them back on will not be pleasant.
  4. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Yup, yup yup! Especially the latin ones.
    I have a snuggly pair of red fleece slippers that I love and live in my comp bag. Sometimes the ballrooms are so cold that I love having warm slippers and legwarmers to slip under my dress
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I cannot take my shoes off until I am done dancing...and, unless I have bleeding feet or a broken blister, I would never step on the dance floor in anything but my dance shoes as I find it disrespectful to do otherwise...that being said, there were a few times when walking was only possible with my shoes off
  6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Yep, I cannot take my shoes off unless I've got SUCH a long break I know my feet will have time to stop swelling and I can get them back on easily.
  7. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I'm actually considering buying a pair of court shoes a 1/2 size bigger than normal for those types of 'whoops' moments... since it's not unusual here to have single dances in the early morning, with multi and scholarships not until late afternoon or evening.
  8. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Well, let's see.
    I use a gym-bag/hand carry (participants gift from previous comp) for things I would take to the ballroom that have to deal with the daily life inside the ballroom, inside that bag in and the pockets of bag - Sport Chalet Gnu energy packets, extra pair of shoes, shoe brush, hand mirror, bobby pins, safety pins, blister band-aids, hand towel, a small battery operated fan -essential for me after several rounds to cool down with, extra pair of spare reading glasses, these things are always in the bag ready to go. Water Bottle or Sugarless Coconut Water, dried fruit. As for in the hotel, just things I would normally bring for a short hotel stay, plus workout clothing. I do not bring extra dresses at all. My DH and I do also bring a beach style collapsing/rolling cooler with plenty of water and the foods we like to eat, we still have horror attacks looking at a hotel breakfast menu and it says "$18" bucks for a belgian waffle. Like recently.
  9. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I haven't got to the point yet where my feet are swollen during comps, so a pair of flip flops or fleece slippers in between dances works just fine for me. How many heats are you guys doing? My feet only swell when I run more than 10 miles, and even so, it's temporary. Maybe I've just lucked out? I don't know
  10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

My feet don't swell either. I always slip out of my dance shoes and into fleece slippers if I have a long break between heats.
  11. danceronice

Usually five heats in a row. The strap of my Latin sandals start cutting into my feet if I wear them any longer than about 45 minutes, but at that point, if I take them off I'll need hours to get them back on. (Besides, I hate feeling undressed in public and slippers just don't feel like something I ought to wear outside. My legs look more presentable in heels.)
  12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

It is amusing to see us all early in the morning wearing expensive gowns, tons of makeup, and robe, slippers and dance bags!
    stash likes this.
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I wear crocs or my adidas flip flops to go into the ballroom because I don't like to wear my shoes through the hotel, but I have to be in my shoes half an hour before I dance just so that my feet can adjust to the torment
  14. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Believe or not, is important to carry a few safety pins in your comp bag, safety pins are so handy!

Last Blackpool, they only provided the regular pins- the kind similar to a needle pin not the safety pins with closure for pin men's # for back, this is definitely not secure enough, you don't want to lose your number in the middle of floor:( some guys who forgot to bring their own safety pins ran around like crazy trying to borrow safety pins; luckily I had a few so DP didn't need to run around to borrow:)

Also if you have a dress slightly too long, safety pins especially handy when stepped on skirt and need to pin it so not step on it again!

I also like to bring slippers to wear between rounds, big relieve for the feet!
  15. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I can't do slippers between rounds because my feet swell and I cant get them back into shots. I always keep snacks with me. and a spare of everything. there is also a sewing kit in my stuff because accidents happen.
  16. danceronice

They are also useful in the event of sudden costume malfunctions mid-dance.