What Would You Tell Beginners?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Oct 7, 2006.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

At the request of a new DFer, I'm re-starting this thread. It appears that the original must've gotten eaten, along the way, when we made one of our transitions. No worries, though, because the original thread probably wasn't nearly as good as this one is going to be. :wink:

If you had one piece of advice to give beginning dancers, what would it be?

2. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

1. Do not get caught up into the drama just enjoy the dancing.
    2. Bring at least one pair of proper dancing shoes with you.
    3. Take group lessons first before you sign up with a teacher, so you not only get to know the students but the rest of the teachers as well.
    4. Don't be shy and don't be afraid to ask questions.
    5. Have fun!

I'm sure that I'll think of more, but that's what I can remember from way back when lol. ;)

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

My advice? Dancing -- good dancing -- isn't easy. It's fun as all-get-out. It's the most natural thing in the world. But it isn't easy, at least not nearly as easy as it looks when other people do it. Give yourself some time. :cool:

4. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Be patient with yourself and, most important, have fun!!!

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

find other experienced folks at your studio and ask lots of questions...don't mistake friendliness for caring...don't let others set your agenda...remember, you love it

6. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

On the other hand, don't buy shoes until you know something about the dances you will be doing, which probably means after the first lesson.

7. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Good point! I guess what I did was that I bought two pairs. One was a practice shoe (so I'd have something to start off with), and the other was a ballroom shoe (because that was acceptable for all of the dances lol). But you are right though especially if you like Country Western or Lindy Hop or something like that.

I thought of another one. Let everything go at the door! ;)

8. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Anyway, my suggestion:

No matter how hard it is to see yourself doing some aspect of dancing, realize that everything can be learned, and everyone eventually will have to resort to that. You may see some who will find things easy at first, but to make continued progress everyone will as some point have to reconsider every aspect of dancing and learn it as a new skill. If you are one who has to learn new skills before you can dance at all, then you will be one of the first to discover what it is to be a dance student.

9. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

There will be times when it feels like you can't do anything right. Don't give up. It will get better with practice. Don't be afraid to dance like a beginner when you're a beginner. We've all been there.

Chris Eaton likes this.
  10. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

If you are choosing a teacher to take privates from, and one of your goals may be to someday compete, do not let the studio assign a teacher to you (I am assuming a non-franchise studio here) and do not automatically assume that the teacher teaching the group class is the most qualified to teach you.

Instead, go to the studio and watch the teachers and students. If you have a non-ballroom dance background, look for the teachers that really look like they know how to move well with good lines. If you have no dance background, ask around. Look for the best dancers among the students, talk to them and ask who they take from and who they might recommend.

If no one looks like a "real dancer" at the studio...find another studio.

11. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

Don't screw around with your teacher. They have a job to do, and so do you.

12. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

Be patient, anyone can dance.
    Dance with other beginners as well, they always get better.
    It takes time, but you'll get ot one day.

13. saludas

saludas New Member

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff...

14. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

:lol: Good one.

T_E

15. fascination

i like it too

16. Sabor

Sabor New Member

i would suggest to the beginners that if u have over 30,000 post on any forum u should get yourself institutionalized yesterday! haha

17. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Hehe, and in most cases, please don't screw your teacher either.
    :raisebro:

18. fascination

ahem...children present(rolls eyes)

19. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Dance . . . just dance. Then turn around and dance some more. Did I mention . . . "just dance?" Seriously, the more floortime that a person can get . . . the better dancer they will become.

Don't get frustrated because that can cause you to give up!

One last thing . . . whatever you learn, say in a group class . . . when you get where you are going to after the class, within two hours . . . practice it. Practice it within 24 hours again, then again with 72 hours . . . then again within a week - thus, one of the keys to getting your muscles to memorize that particular movement(s).

20. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Sorry fascination!!
    But my real advice, have fun with it. It's not life or death!!