What's the difference between NY and LA Salsa?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Sakura, Jun 8, 2004.

1. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Hmmm, this beast always seems to come back. Other than the timing differences, your perception of LA and NY salsa are gonna depend on what dancers you choose to observe. If you go to Steven's and hang out around the 'dracula' circles you'll see that flashy, trick filled, LA style. If you watch the majority of the normal dancers it won't look a lot different than what you'd see in NY.
  2. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

Haven't seen NY style myself, but saw LA style in a presentation that one of the instructors did a few weeks ago. Flashy is an understatement! I was puffing just watching! :shock:
  3. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:? Hmm, I guess another big question that comes up here then is: are the *steps* the same between these two styles?? (stupid question, I know...) I see the flashy vs. smooth now, but, I mean, do the basics vary, the various steps, etc...?

Sakura Kitty :kitty:
  4. DiAnAoN1

DiAnAoN1 New Member

No regardless of the style or if your dancing on1 and on2 the basic step is the same. I've also taken classes on both NY and LA style where they showed us the same turn combination so the styles arent that different.
  5. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Diana, you're my hero!!!!!! *hugs* :banana: :banana: :banana:

6. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

Same here -- thanks!
  7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

True if you're comparing LA/on1 with Power2/Palladium2... but the steps *are* different for NY2/ET2... :?
  8. SD,

Now, what is ET2?

You all talk about NY, LA, Cuban style? What about Puerto Rican style?

What is the difference between NY and PR style? Is there any difference at all now?
  9. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

On2 Eddie Torres style?
  10. SDsalsaguy

salsera_alemana... ET = Eddie Torres

I guess one of the points your question raises is what, exactly, we mean by a "style." Almost every country and region has its own style... but when we're talking about NY/LA/Cuban we're talking about major "schools" of salsa. When I travel to Europe for instance, the basic structure will fall into one of these. I should say, however, that I have found that in some places in Europe NY & LA do not get differentiated but, rather, are counted as a cross-body "style" (vs. Cuban).

I don't have enough familiarity with PR dancing to be able to give you a good comparison, but, from my experiences big three seem to be the umbrella categories.
  11. Sabor

Sabor New Member

yeah.. it could get really confusing.. so i for one i just look at the classification very simply ie. interms of timing, either as

Salsa on 1 = 123 567 .. breaking on 1 and 5

Mambo or Salsa on 2 = 234 678.. breaking on 2 and 6

Cuban = street salsa.. ie.. salsa in its free-est form.. most playful..it obeys la clave and changes according to tiempo

The rest of the differentiations dont hold too firm too long nowadays as styles have many ways of mixing up .. its just fusion and alot of it is promoted by people in the business to make business.. to achieve some sort of uniqueness and originality that, like it or not, fades away in time because others will come .. take it and mix it up in a new way etc.. etc.. thus is the nature of art and its power to evolve, fuse and overlap.. in some way.. its globalization, u know..

so.. other than timing, it doesnt really matter which foot u start with.. wether u dance in a slot or circular.. wether u shine more or less.. wether u show off the woman more or less.. etc.. that is all really quite irrelevent to me.. things that work themselves out naturally once u start dancing.. no biggy :wink:
  12. SDsalsaguy

I agree with you Sabor, but I do find some basic mechanical differences in the connection between the cross-body and Cuban styles. Just an observation.
  13. Sabor

Sabor New Member

"sonnection" "croos" !?! :doh:

:lol: :lol: :wink:
  14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Yup, I agreed with SD. Cuban tends to be momentum based...
  15. Sabor

Sabor New Member

yep guys .. i agree with u both.. yet these are all things that can be mixed together .. eg. i can dance cuban style interms of body motion/ styling/ direction yet still be breaking on 1 or on 2 or on clave/contra.. know what i mean.. u just adjust with your partner and go at it.. but the only thing that will stay constant no matter what is the timing of your step/break.. accordingly what i said in previous post..

plus this is just a starting point for beginners to view the dance.. of course as u advance u relatively know more and understand more .. so i would suggest that phase to be dependent on each dancers perception and based on their own experience rather than giving them the whole 9 yards in words and explanation that they yet remain to experience ultimately getting them confused or more hyped .. when the issue is not that much of a big deal from a birds eye view.. that is of course only my opinion :D
  16. SDsalsaguy

:oops: :oops: :oops:

That'll teach me to go without sleep for too long!

[Actually, on second thought, it probably won't! :oops: :oops: :oops: ]

[Random fact: this = DF post #56,500]
  17. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:D :D And yet again, Sabor, you manage to reduce everything down to that it's just Dance, no matter what you're doing!

Someday, you're gonna open up a school of dance, and then we'll start talking about Sabor Salsa! =^_~= I look forward to it!

18. tj

tj New Member

I love the sentiment of what you're saying, Sabor. It truly captures the important essence of what makes dancing special.

But I gotta say that I agree with the other two, in that when you and your partner dance different styles, it's hard to find a good dance connection with each other. What that has become for me, is to have a little familiarity with each of the styles so that I can adjust my dancing to my partner in addition to the particular song.
  19. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

I dance in an two-centre salsa scene -- Glasgow with its strong Cuban style traditions and more slot-oriented Edinburgh -- and can say that followers exposed to both styles can adapt to the different mechanics of the two styles without too much difficulty. I have experienced dancing with good connection with both Cuban style and LA style dancers. And there are leaders who have taken both classes and mix the two styles. Makes for an interesting dance experience (though it doesn't help my problem of getting my CBLs and Dile Que Nos mixed up :oops:) -- so I'm with Sabor on this one.
  20. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Same here.

For years I've been able to show up at a salsa club & just dance. Until I realised that people on my dance list got fewer as the "newer" (read: development/evolvement) styles started to make appearances at the clubs & people I grew up dancing with started to disappear :cry: .....

It was a wake up call for me to evolve & adapt. It was almost as though the language changed :shock: ......in order to 'communicate' (via dancing) effectively with others you have to learn the accent/dialect, even if we are still talking about the same language.

This is how I view different schools/styles of salsa. Same language, different accent/dialect (hey, a lot like Spanish :wink: !).

On that thought, I'm off to 'communicate' some more 8) .........!