What's the difference between NY and LA Salsa?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Sakura, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Sakura

Sakura New Member

That's actually a really cool way of looking at it, SC! (More so because I LOVE language. =^__^=)

Have fun, study hard! :wink:

Sakura Kitty :kitty:
  2. Sabor

Sabor New Member

i'm not disagreeing tj.. i'm just looking at it from a beginners perspective after knowing what i know now.. hence my 2nd post:

my point is simply not to overcrowd them trying to explain it in detail from the beginning but to give them the benefit of their own experience and phase development.. after a certain point they hopefully will experience the different styles and adjust to it almost immediately and naturally.. but it has to take its time .. phase after phase.. thats all.. and to try to explain to them the mechanical differences through words when they are relatively still starting is .. well, putting myself in their shoes.. would indeed be a confusing ordeal. Hence.. the major difference- at this stage is timing - and this is what they start with first.. timing and music.. the musicality of the dance is in my view the highest priority .. to guide them to their natural rythme vs. salsa.. then comes the rest as second priority, etc..
  3. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

And just when I thought the matter was settled, my teacher does a small demonstration in the class -- comparing NY style vs. LA!

He taught a move, which he said was a NY mambo move (translated to on1), and proceeded to do exactly the same move in LA style, and they looked different! In terms of the move's sequence, they were exactly the same. However, when done as an LA style move, it looks bigger -- the follower is thrown further away, so the couple is at an arm's length in the slot. It makes the move look more dynamic, sharper (since you need to travel more in the same number of count) and, as a result, flashier. In the NY mambo version of the move, the leader stays very close to the follower, making the whole move look smoother and more compact.

I wonder if this is a general difference between the NY and LA styles?
  4. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

When the floor is packed the use of slot, and the philosphy of "dance on 2 tiles" is used a great deal. But if the floor is pretty spaced out we tend to open up the dance. There are a few dancers who just don't like to open up the dance, even if the floor is empty, but aside from that, very many people like to use the floor and open the dance. "Performance-like"

It is however true that NY Style uses a "tighter" feel of dancing, and doesn't really call to be all over the place opening up "too" much.

Which might just be what you saw...
  5. KiwiMambo

KiwiMambo New Member

That's the first noticeable differences between NY and LA.

NY is lighter (no jerking the follow around), smoother and more compact (small steps). Because of this you can pull off more complex turn patterns in NY. For example a double free spin followed by a 180 pickup (Travelling Inside Turn or Rotating CBL) followed by a double CBL inside turn followed by another 180 is far easier to pull off when dancing small than big. Small steps means you have more time to do more complex things or style.

NY is On2. LA is On1. On2 gives you that extra beat to style and play with the music because On2 you are spinning the girl on counts 2&3 where as On1 your are spinning her on 5&6&7. This is also why you see more of the whip whip pause effect in NY. This gives it that smoother look and why NY style looks slower.

I dance light, smooth and compact when On1 or On2. I cringe when I see leads dance big, tossing and jerking the follow around. Gentlemen, you have to treat the follows like ladies not like a rag doll.
  6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I like that too. Dance compact, dance smooth, dance light. That's my prefered style. :)
  7. KiwiMambo

KiwiMambo New Member

You are seeing more and more of this light, smooth and compact in LA now. New Yorkers are influencing the west coast! The best example of this is Al & Edie. Take a look at their first series of videos. Then take a look at their new Millenium style videos which were made after they spent some time studying in New York. The first set is very LAish. The Millenium style is more New Yorkish with Hip Hop and Poppin styling thrown in. In LA we also have former New York instructors such as Seaon and Bernard Martinez and we are seeing their influence in their students.
  8. Sabor

Sabor New Member

the difference between LA and NY salsa?

well, one is in LA and the other is in NY .. DUH!

HAAAAA!
  9. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

:doh:

We really do need a raised eyebrow emoticon...
  10. Sabor

Sabor New Member

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Umm, these are qualities of dancers, not of styles. LA style does not, for instance, require "jerking the follow around." While it is true that LA and LA style seem to give rise to more than their share of flash & trash dancers and dancing it is not the style, itself, that mandates this.
  12. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:lol: :lol: I second the motion! (=o_O= <-- Closest thing I've got.)

SK :kitty: