What's the most embarrassing moment you've had dancing?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Suaveson, Feb 12, 2004.

1. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

That's a fun thread. I'm adding to it with the competition moment. It happened a few years ago, actually. I was dancing standard and during the break between my last set of single dances and a scholarship I went to the restroom and when I was closing the crotch snap the bottom layer of my skirt got stuck in it. I did not notice it and danced my scholarship heat this way. And after I was done, another lady pulled me to the side and told me I had an issue with my skirt.
  2. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

What was the color of your skirt? I'm trying to visualise the whole thing!!!
  3. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

I would guess you looked very cute.
  4. chomsky

I just need to make sure you got it I was making a joke...Hope it didn't sound bad in english...:confused:
  5. RumbaLucia

RumbaLucia Member

I have a history with halter-neck tops ... :eek:

I made the mistake of wearing a vest-style top with a halter neck which tied at the back to one of my first lessons with my new partner. He and our teacher schemed and plotted, and managed to catch me in a pincer movement so I had nowhere to escape whilst they pulled the bow at the back of the halter. Thankfully I was in Ballroom hold so the top didn't have the opportunity to fall far, but I think the new partner caught a fair eye-full. He is now my husband four years later - I wonder if there is any connection ...??!! :rolleyes:

I then wore a halter-neck dress to a social dance a couple of years later, and had a malfunction with the hooks holding it closed at the back. My teacher and his wife (and probably all of the band) got a complete eye-full of boobage - thank goodness for a friend with safety pins! :rolleyes:

May I just say that I have literally cried with laughing reading through the whole of this thread, to the point that my cat is now absolutely convinced of my total insanity!!! :uplaugh:
  6. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I didn't think it sounded bad at all..
  7. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

Continuing on with wardrobe malfunctions:
    My partner and I were dancing at the 2007 Spring Fling (NJ DanceSport Classic.) I was wearing my NEW black dress with a beautiful crinoline lined skirt.
    We were doing jive and SURPRISE the crinoline got caught in my heel and pulled my skirt all the way down.
    To make matters a little worse, I realized that the dress also gave me wedgies...Unfortunately, I realized that AFTER watching the video of us dancing... UGH....

Let's just say that dress got some much needed alterations.
  8. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

The one with green stones? If so, that is the same design concept as my blue dress that I was wearing when I mooned everyone at MIT 3 or some odd years ago... My heel got stuck in my skirt too. That design is a very naughty one.
  9. chomsky

Thanks for reassuring me...My english gives me a headach sometimes...;)
  10. dancewi

dancewi Member

When I started learning how to ballroom dance, i didn't know a few dance dressing-code things.
    One of them was : you have to wear dance panties under your skirt on your fishnets..
    and my dance teacher decided to spin me like 100 times..but he stopped after 5.. He was like:
    im sorry..what are you wearing under your skirt? i mean, are you wearing dance panties?
    I didnt even know what to say to him.. i was so embarassed.
    thank god my "normal" underwear didnt have words like "las vegas" or "juicy" on it...
    haha :)
  11. chomsky

:oops:
  12. QMSF

QMSF Member

I was dancing with a lady who I worked with in my old studio. We were doing a kind of basic demo after a class. It was basic, but it ended with a kind of cool dip. Spin, spin, spin, dip. The lady, who is tall and curvy and gorgeous (I am on the shorter side, but we have excellent chemistry), was spin spin spinning and then dropped down for the dip and grabbed my butt soooo hard to stabilize herself my knee buckled. She hadn't done it any of the times we practiced. We didn't go down but people definitely noticed. Afterwards someone was like, "is that what we're supposed to get ahold of in case of emergency?"
  13. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

YES ma'am! That's the costume in question.
  14. polishbloo

polishbloo New Member

Once, I had a cold during dance practice. We were about to do a super fast turn when an little spray came out of my nose and on my partners arm :oops: ugh soo embarassing. Now they call me nose plugs at the studio.:(
  15. Aura

Aura Active Member

Welcome to DF polishboo! It's about time this thread revived! As for my own, I haven't had one too noteworthy yet, but I'll be sure to post it when it happens.
  16. ktia85

ktia85 Member

I started dancing with a new instructor and he was teaching me viennese waltz. We started off really well after I learned the basics, then I ended up tripping over my own feet and started falling face forward and my instructor caught me but ended up catching me with his hands on my chest. Needless to say that created an awkward moment.
  17. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Not a really embarrassing moment, but I was performing a salsa once, and I forgot a piece of the routine...DP follows excellently, and I lead salsa well (I wish I could say that of Standard dances...soon enough), so we just went with the flow and picked up the routine a few bars down...we didn't finish it though because of my little 'implant'...but the audience was a non-ballroom audience, and they didn't even get the first hint.

My leg muscles got tense very quickly...
  18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I take it you're female?
  19. ktia85

ktia85 Member

Yes. :D
  20. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Super-awkward...