What's the most embarrassing moment you've had dancing?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Suaveson, Feb 12, 2004.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Here's one from last night that I'm sure all you leads out there can sympathize with. DW and I were dancing in our studio comp last night. We get up for a tango, the music starts and... it's an electronica thing with weird polyrhythms, and I can't find the 1 beat! I was totally flummoxed. So I tried the usual cheat -- peeking at a pro to see what beat he is on. I see two pros out of the corner of my eye, and... they are on different beats! I stood there frozen for about ten seconds before I finally decided that I was going to have to just pick a beat and dance on it. The whole dance felt weird because I kept feeling like I should stop and get back on beat, but just when I thought I could hear it, it changed again. Several of the pros told me later that they couldn't find it either.
  2. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Shing A Tin Tin does that to me. But not for very long.
  3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I normally wear thongs inside my costumes. One time I actually wore real white briefs. Dunno why I ever thought to do that.

I was dancing around in a dress that was just one layer of chiffon, completely see through down to the nude body suit, doing pro-am. I noticed some of the male judges standing near one another were smiling and joking while watching us. Being vain I assumed they were ssooooo impressed with our dancing. I spun out for a bow right in front of them, big grin, all proud of myself. One of the judges said quietly to me... "your underwear is showing." The briefs covered more than the built in bodysuit did. And as I danced the briefs scootched down around my hip flexors, completely uncovered by the bodysuit.

That wasn't the worst part. The worst was stepping off the floor and trying to readjust my undies while whole room watched and the mc waited patiently for me, before calling out the next dance.
    frotes likes this.
  4. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Ugh, my worst nightmare. My first comp back with my Rhythm partner last week, it was just us and another couple on the floor for Champ Rhythm, but I couldn't find the beat in the swing to save my life. Eventually I just went for it and realized four measures later I was off by two beats. And there was no good place to stop and start the routine until like 3/4 of the way through the routine. So embarrassing.
  5. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Oh Larinda!
  6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

7. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

All too similar to cornutt's: I was at the Carolina Fall Classic today. I stepped onto the floor for my first competitive heat with my new am partner and was completely unable to find the beat in the waltz. I spent the entire dance knowing I was off beat, but not able to figure out how to fix it.

Suffice it to say, we said not make the finals in the bronze WQ, and I blame myself entirely. I'm supposed to be the experienced dancer in the partnership. I wasn't thrilled with my dancing the rest of the comp, but that happens. That waltz though was humiliating.
    chomsky likes this.
  8. basicarita

basicarita Member

That happened to me too. Yikes.
  9. LordBallroom

LordBallroom Member

Mine's a toss up between dropping my partner on a crowded dance floor while doing a dip and elbowing someone in the face turning an underarm turn
    chomsky likes this.
  10. BreAna

BreAna Member

well, I wasn't dancing while this occurred, but it was at a social. I was about 16 at the time, and a woman asked me if my instructor and I were together...he's in his 40s. So I made this ridiculous face and explained that he was just my instructor (I was wearing all of my stage makeup because I was performing that night, and the woman thought I was in my 20s. Still. Awkward.) A few days later the studio posted pics from the event, and someone had taken a photo of me when that woman asked about my instructor and I. I don't think I've ever made a less attractive facial expression in my entire life!
  11. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Oh man... it was great to see you Friday night, but you must have had a long drive.
  12. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

My instructor decided it would be a good idea to teach me the hip lean step in rumba (I don't know what he was thinking). While this step could go wrong with anyone, adding that I outweight my instructor by probably 45 pounds gave it some definite interest. He just kept saying "you have to trust me" "you will hurt me if you don't trust me". I was thinking to myself "I am going to snap you like a twig". We managed a few poor attempts at it and a couple of times it came out ok. But there's just something so incrediably embarrassing about having my matchstick dance pro hold up this plus size girl's entire body weight. AWKWARD!! And he wonders why I hate dips and leans, etc. It's just not right lol
    jiwinco and chomsky like this.
  13. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I do the lean dip where we start out standing next to each other our bodies and feet in contact on one side. I step out to my other side and the follow leans over with me. Not sure what the hip lean step is, but if it is anything like that it is a very stable position, and I have done huge people. Now if the follow panics and moves her center of gravity etc then she could roll off and if I maintain my connection I could get hurt.
  14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Open position r-r and l-l, r-r above l-l. I keep l hand down and rotate follower clockwise, veil with my right and then go around the follower clockwise with my right hand wrapping etc. Now the follower right hand has elbow sticking out. If the follower struggles it can give you a nasty knock, just saying...
  15. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

You description sounds exactly like what we were doing. In any case, I will try to avoid doing it in the future. I am terrified that I will hurt one or both of us. I am ok holding my body steady and we actually didn't have any close calls or anything. It's more just the thought of it for me I think. I "think" I have no business leaning over onto him like that :eek:
  16. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

I am following my own post. I guess all of you DFers don't have embarrassing things happen to you at the rate which they seem to happen to me :) . No matter, this one was worth sharing:

My instructor decided he was going to prove a point about me following the wrong path when I turn out of this particular rumba step. So he decided he was going to stand his ground and not compensate for me. He stood his ground, and what he thought would happen, happened. I took the wrong path, backed right into him, stepped on his foot, lost my balance while trying not to put my full weight into the foot that was on top of his, and while trying to catch myself with my arms I managed to grab his a$$. That'll teach him...
    twnkltoz, chomsky, SwayWithMe and 2 others like this.
  17. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

I was wearing a lace dress, and my skirt got in my teacher’s pant zipper. That was embarrassing to pull the skirt out.

Not wearing lace for dancing anymore. Nope.
    chomsky likes this.
  18. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

what were you doing???... oh nevermind I think I know :eek:
    chomsky likes this.
  19. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

I think it was waltz!
    chomsky likes this.
  20. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I seldom read this thread, but this got my attention.

Thongs for the memory .:oops:
    chomsky likes this.