What's the most embarrassing moment you've had dancing?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Suaveson, Feb 12, 2004.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

why have I never been this fortunate ?:cool:
    twnkltoz, jiwinco, chomsky and 4 others like this.
  2. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

In our ballroom club, we often have more follows than leads so follows will have to dance by themselves sometimes during rotation. Well, on the last day of the semester, our standard coach was teaching a "just for fun" open quickstep routine involving hops and skips (my apologies for layman's terms, haha!). So while having to dance by myself with the rest of the couples, there was a part where we had to skip backwards - and not having a lead to warn me that there was a guy right behind me - I caught my heel on the back of his shoe and fell (rather inelegantly) with a crash. I was fine, but everyone else was freaking out and it was so embarrassing telling them that I was fine and they should keep going and not mind the klutz. :p Quickstep has never been the same.
  3. stash

stash Well-Known Member

O my goodness something similar happened to me when I was warming up with our open quickstep routines. So we have a part where we step hop and lock and I am going backwards the entire time. It's only for 2 step hops, but it's enough time for someone to get in my line of dance without me being able to see them. Anywho so I was warming up by myself and ran into a guy just standing in my line of dance at full speed. I apologised of course and he still glared at me as I walked away. Now I understand floorcraft and I am always trying to be aware of my surroundings when practicing by myself, but 1) this guy was not in my line of dance when I could see him, and 2) I don't have eyes in the back of my head to see him, nor am I an owl who can turn her head all the way around the check blind spots. Lol. I can't dodge people I can't see.
    Ailuene likes this.
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Did a small one-day comp last month. After the smooth portion in the morning, I ran back to my room to change. Normally my DW and I would change together, but this time she was doing some multi-dance heats with her pro and I wasn't. And my shirt was very sweaty and uncomfortable, so I went upstairs to change by myself. I decided not to change into street clothes for lunch, and instead went ahead and put my rhythm outfit on.

After rhythm, we went upstairs to change for dinner. In the closet, I went to move my smooth shirt out of the way to get at my other shirts, and... found my number still pinned to it. I'd just done the entire rhythm session without my number on, and nobody said a word to me. o_O
    chomsky likes this.
  5. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Oh no!! Why didn't anyone say something? :( Hmm, maybe they were afraid of the competition. :D
  6. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

OH. MY. GOD.
    Not even the DW?
  7. fascination

well look, the DW probably didn't have much opportunity to see his back
    chomsky and cornutt like this.
  8. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

If there wasn't too many couples on the floor, they could have figured out your number.
  9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Apparently they did. Either that, or my notoriety precedes me.
    chomsky likes this.
  10. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I'm stealing this...
  11. UMASSshoesandcostumes

UMASSshoesandcostumes Active Member

I am a terrible klutz. Normally I am able to avoid that on the dance floor (but my partner does have to keep an eye on me, as he puts it "You really need me to keep an eye on you, you're always bumping into someone, or something or knocking something over or tripping or falling or breaking something... How did you exist without me to clean up after you?"). However semi-regularly when we're practicing S/S I'll somehow trip over his feet or my own feet and end up falling. To date he's never let me hit the floor-- he always manages to get his arm around me to pull me back upright.
    So I have 2 embarrassing stories to go with this:
    1) I ended up teaching polka for the weekly social lessons that our ballroom team hosts for the general population around campus. Not 5 minutes into the lesson I pull my normal 'trip over my own feet' trick and because I'm dancing with a leader with whom I don't often dance, he wasn't ready for me to be a klutz and so I end up sprawled on the floor at his feet. On the bright side we were demo-ing 'what not to do' so our pupils really got the message loud and clear. My normal partner still doesn't let that leader forget it-- "I'm so careful with her, she's such a klutz and I'm so careful. I've NEVER dropped her, but I loan her to you for 5 minutes and what do you do? You drop her."
    2) My normal partner and I were competing MIT this Spring, and to date we had been lucky that we hadn't ever had a problem with me being a klutz at competition. So we're starting our Standard Tango and we literally do a progressive link and go to take our first step into a close promenade-- unfortunately another couple came too close doing a reverse turn and somehow the follower's leg got caught up in my first step (still don't really know how that happened, it was very strange). She kept going but pulled my foot out from under me. So I literally am thinking "Oh, so what, I'm going down. At competition. I always hoped I wouldn't be one of those people," and suddenly I'm upright again. Luckily enough for me I do this semi-regularly in practice and as soon as my partner felt my leg go he was ready to pull me upright like he always does in practice. :) So it all worked out okay but it was still slightly embarrassing.
    Dean, chomsky, latingal and 1 other person like this.
  12. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Man can I relate. Just yesterday in practice I actually somehow managed to get the heel of my right right caught in my left shoe. And since I've never actually had any problems with balance, my partner was totally not ready for it and I practically dragged him down with me. LOL. It was kind of terrible. Luckily it was just us, so only my partner was there to laugh at me though he tried to contain it. (It really was quite funny though). :p
    chomsky likes this.
  13. Raquet

Raquet New Member

I had an embarrassing incident when I was learning to do pot stirs (for those who don't know it, it's where the lady crouches down on one leg in front of the man, and does multiple spins).

I unfortunately lost my balance just as I spun around to face him, and toppled face-first right into his crotch.
    chomsky, dancelvr, latingal and 2 others like this.
  14. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

WOW!! That is a VERY difficult move!
    chomsky likes this.
  15. Aura

Aura Active Member

My stories have been pretty "meh" on this thread, but I finally remembered one that truly made me turn red. It's not ballroom, but it does have to do with dance. When I was in eighth grade, my class had to take mandatory social dance classes every Friday just so we could get our feet wet. Most of the guys hated it, but they did enjoy the culminating social at a nice club where everyone was expected to dress semi-formally. Mom and I chose a cute pink dress that went down to the top of my knees with a black belt around the waist complete with rhinestone buckle. Unfortunately, it was strapless and we both were a bit careless when it came to buying the proper bra. Come dance time, I realize, to my horror and mortification, that the bra wasn't tight enough around my chest so it kept sliding down while I danced. To make things worse, we'd decided to pin the bra to the dress to keep the whole ensemble together. At one point, I was dancing a line dance and looked down to discover both my breasts are slightly exposed. :oops: Luckily, the lights were dimmed and no one ever noticed. But, I spent the rest of the evening hiking up my dress and going to the chaperones for help. I haven't worn a strapless dress since.
  16. leee

leee Active Member

The last class of a hot weekend workshop focused on a solo jazz routine. When my line rotated to the front, I was so tired that pppfrrrrrippp, I accidentally let out a fart. The music was, I hope, loud enough to mask the sound, but it wasn't much longer after that that I decided I'd had enough and was past the safe point of pushing my luck.
    chomsky likes this.
  17. novemberecho

novemberecho Member

I once danced a full scholarship round with my leg warmers on, and nobody said a word to me. Almost half an hour later I was sitting at a table thinking, "wow, my legs feel so warm and toasty" and then I looked down...:eek:
    dancelvr, cornutt and FancyFeet like this.
  18. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I'd never thought I'd see anyone post something like this! Hilarious!:rofl:
  19. fascination

oh yea...if you read back far enough, he isn't alone in that....never eat beans before a good tango :)
    chomsky likes this.
  20. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Not dance related, but you reminded me of something that happened to me in a figure skating show (I did those ice capades things after I retired from competition). During one of the group numbers, we had a section where people would split off and briefly skate a little solo, doing like one or two tricks by themselves. In mine, since I was always better with the stretchy moves than the jumps, I was supposed to start out doing a forward spiral (essentially a moving arabesque) around the front of the ice and then do some footwork tricks before going into a charlotte spiral which goes backwards and looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    The charlotte was supposed to take me through the back curtain, which would cue the next girl to come out and do her thing. Well, during my first spiral, one of the straps on my costume broke and my entire right boob flopped out. I could feel it freely swinging in the breeze and could hear the audience gasping and tittering, but couldn't very well just run off the ice because I was the only person on it and the show must go on. So I did some "hug yourself" gesture, scrapped the footwork section entirely, and went straight into the charlotte... which I then had to hold all the way down the ice while trying not to commit seppuku in my great embarrassment. When I got backstage, there were at least three anxious mother types standing there waving safety pins at me and squawking in distress. At least I gave a memorable show.
    llamasarefuzzy and chomsky like this.