What's the most embarrassing moment you've had dancing?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Suaveson, Feb 12, 2004.

1. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

That, NonieS, is terrifying.
  2. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Apologies for damaging your delicate sensibilities ;).
    dbk likes this.
  3. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

with a position like that, I'd be more concerned about your crotch opening up :eek:
  4. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Might not be the most embarrassing, but certainly the most irritating.

The AV guy wasn't half paying attention when we were to perform at a small charity event once, so the lights screwed up, and then he didn't start the music right, so, for the first time ever, we actually had to stop, my partner called out "Ah, can we just start over? This isn't working," and then we did a restart. Of course, we're not hardened "real" dancers with a thick armor of tanner and rhinestones, so it kind of threw us off-kilter. We went through it okay, but none of the "this is fun, I like doing this" felt like it was there. They didn't bring their end of the bargain, and it was difficult for us to do ours, even in a room full of wine-soaked drunks who were only half-awake at that hour.
  5. ajiboyet

LOL!!
  6. OreganO

OreganO Member

Well I think "crotch opening" is a nice segue into one of my stories...

My partner and I were at a comp earlier this year (most of the truly embarrassing stories always seem to happen at comp or performance). I had recently lost ~15lb so my smooth/standard dress was fitting funkily: straps everywhere. I was quite happy that the dress was actually held up by a collar. Anyway, being all distracted by the strap situation, I didn't really think about other potential malfunctions. I should have.

Mid-developé, I felt this ping around my crotch. A few seconds later, I realized that my crotch snaps had just popped open. In all of my worrying over straps, I hadn't thought to make sure that the snaps were properly closed. The thing about comp undergarments is that I'm never quite sure if they're covering as much as they aren't and, while dance partnerships are close, there are some boundaries.

After that, naturally, my partner continued to lead me through a series of developés for the rest of the round, many of which happily coincided with the main battalion of cameras. Thank goodness for long, multi-layered skirts.
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

if you scroll back several pages, you will discover that it could have been much worse...see; "never use a safety pin in the crotch of a snap-less latin outfit" because I left my brain at home that day
    Ailuene and OreganO like this.
  8. ajiboyet

*remembers* *cringes* OreganO, you were lucky.
  9. OreganO

OreganO Member

Oh dear! Very very thankful now...
  10. This is ancient history, thank God. I've tried to duplicate the move multiple times with no success,but during a flick I got the heel of my shoe caught in the elastic of my dance briefs and dragged them down far enough to knock myself over. Fringe skirt.

Thought this might be a good post with which to introduce myself.
    NonieS, chomsky, sbrnsmith and 5 others like this.
  11. ajiboyet

You are most certainly welcome to DF!
    lake chapala ballroom likes this.
  12. UMASSshoesandcostumes

UMASSshoesandcostumes Active Member

I once got my heel caught in the hem of my partner's Latin pants at comp, and we couldn't get it unhooked and actually had to stop and unhook it.
    And for some reason the snaps in the bottom of my S/S costume always come apart during Standard, but never during Smooth, I don't understand it, but it works out that at least I don't have to develope with my snaps undone.
    As a follow up to my falling post from a year ago, this semester I fell during a V-Waltz Final and because I was with a partner who had never had to catch me before, he didn't catch me and I went down hard. At another competition I was warming up with a TBA partner and I tripped on my own skirt (we were trying to duck under someone, which in retrospect was probably not the best idea), he tried to catch me, and I ended up bringing him down with me. A bit later during our Quickstep semifinal with the same partner he ended up falling on the floor too-- it was really interesting because we were just dancing then my partner disappeared. He still doesn't know what happened, just one minute he was on his feet and the next minute he was on his knees. He got up and we kept dancing. Clearly I have problems with staying on my feet.
    chomsky likes this.
  13. architeuthis

architeuthis New Member

Oh wow, I have a bunch...

I was at a lesson that was far too advanced for me in the first place, and on top of that, the instructor kept getting confused and changing the steps in the combination. I was also having a terrible day personally (can't remember why now, guess it must not've been too important!) and at one point I just started sobbing and ran out of the lesson. I had been dancing with someone I didn't know well, and for months after that, he always talked to me in this concerned tone, like I might burst into tears at any moment!

Then at my second comp ever, an older man (this was a collegiate comp btw) asked me to dance during the fun dance section, and I was a little confused because he didn't look like the typical age, but agreed. Turns out he was the coach of one of the best universities there! I've never been so lost in a waltz in my life.

Luckily this last one wasn't in public! My partner and I were practicing our v-waltz and somehow - no idea what caused it - we both COMPLETELY wiped out. I fell flat on my back and he was inches away from falling right on top of me.

(Last one, I swear) - while warming up the morning of a competition, I punched him in the mouth in a nerves-induced overzealous crossover. Oops.
  14. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Lately we've been using a lot of different devices for music during lessons and practice... there's the studio laptop, a tablet, and then several of the instructors and students have their own MP3 players and phones. So the audio input jack gets moved around a lot. To avoid pops and loud hums, I've been getting onto people about turning down the volume on the mixer before they move the connection. So last week, while connecting the laptop, guess what I forgot to do... and the volume was all the way up too... BAAAAZZZZT! POP! :rolleyes:
    leee likes this.
  15. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Shoe-farts that you can't replicate to prove that it was a shoe-fart, not a butt-fart.
    MaggieMoves, dbk, NonieS and 2 others like this.
  16. s2k

s2k Active Member

My story begins with a positive phrase, one which every woman likes to hear: "Apparently I've lost a bit of weight."

NO ONE wants to discover that those crucial ounces were the golden threads that kept you from being naked on the floor, mere minutes from performng.

My rhythm dress has a low back and a fringe skirt. 30 minutes before the session, we're warming up, and I do four jive kicks, when I realize that the back of the dress is inching down my rear because the fringe and gravity are weighing on it and it seems as though the shelf of my tuchas has shrunk since the last time I wore the dress. I turn away from the audience and feel around back there and realize that there is just no way I can dance a family show with the back edge of the dress riding so low. And I mean, my partner looked and said, "You can't dance like that."

But I have body glue! Yay!
    Which has glued itself shut. Boo!
    All I need is hot water to loosen it. Yay!
    There is no hot water anywhere in the venue. The taps have been removed. BOO.
    Someone microwaves a cup of hot water for me. Yay!
    The cup is made of plastic. Facepalm.
    But I have safety pins. Yay!
    I pin my fishnets to my dress. Do some kicks. Now the dress is pulling my fishnets down, too. SRSLYBOO.
    <minutes to our first heat are ticking down. Gorge rising. Partner has no idea where I am. As far as he is concerned, I may have left.>
    Guy helping me has knife. Yay!
    "Wait," I said. "You've had a knife all this time?!" BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Guy pries open body glue. Yay!

I glue my dress to my backside, and it stayed put. YAY!
    Sania, nikkitta and leee like this.
  17. What a great post. yay!
    s2k likes this.
  18. ajiboyet

That made me laugh heartily. Thanks for sharing!!!
    s2k likes this.
  19. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves New Member

The most recent pro-am I did, my hair came loose during american rhythm/latin and I ended up hitting him in the face with my hair with every turn I did which had a judge smiling at us the whole time. Not particularly embarrassing, but I think it was hilarious.

My partner and I have done the wrong dance before in a competition. To be fair, a cha-cha worked far better for it than the swing.

I've gotten my heel caught in my partner's pant straps and we both fell on top of each other. We both didn't realize what had happened until we were in the midst of falling. It was a Viennese Waltz and we both ended up flying away from each other, legs still stuck together.
    architeuthis likes this.