What's the most embarrassing moment you've had dancing?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Suaveson, Feb 12, 2004.

1. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

No keep wearing them, just tie it in a double knot. Unless he's really concentrating and doing some sort of weird move behind your back, he'll never pull it undone!

2. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

Hehehe!

I have some that are all one piece at the back..I still think I will stick to those ones! I would just be too worried...no knot could make me forget those 2 stories!

3. NeoDevin

NeoDevin New Member

Or unless he's practiced undoing double knots just for girls like you ;)

4. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

Maybe, but his hand is not supposed to be anywhere near my neck! I'll stop him before he even gets started. :lol:

5. twodance

twodance New Member

My wife and I where competing in a national competition and my pants split on the first measure of the Cha Cha. Of course I didn't know this and we danced the rumba, swing, bolero and on the mambo I found out. The judges said it wasn't bad, I finally had some color in my face. :oops: Thats when I found the importance of wearing black shorts instead of white ones. Or the time one of my students was doing a solo routine and her fishnet hose got caught in my zipper. Try fixing that one on the dancefloor !! :lol:

6. NeoDevin

NeoDevin New Member

Awwww, shucks... spoilsport :p ;)

7. alfr dís

alfr dís New Member

i only have 4 yrs background, but for me the most embarassing thing thats happen to me at dance is when i busted my ankle. i did it on a leap, when i landed my ankle rolled in and pow, i was on the floor. everyone was really nice about it but i still felt like an idiot.

8. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I've been thinking...and thinking...trying to remember a time I truly felt embarassed. Finally I breached the mental block that was in place to protect me from the horrible experience! :lol:

This past Nov I was in LA visiting my huge group of salsa friends out there. It was a good friend's birthday so of course we hooked her up with a birthday dance. Problem was...it was one of those uber fast salsas; the kind I hate and normally sit down when they're on. Well I couldn't, it was her dance. And when I finally cut in to take my turn with her I was horrible. Couldn't stay with the tempo, didn't execute one good combo, and EVERYONE was watching! I passed her off as quick as possible and tried to find a place to hide. I think I psyched myself out more than anything. I can dance at that speed, but REALLY didn't want too. Plus I felt horrible that I couldn't even give my good friend a great birthday dance. ::sigh::

9. LindyQuest

LindyQuest New Member

I was at my first swing event, in Oakland last May, and I think it was the beginning of the evening. If I remember correctly, I was led into an inside turn, but I hadn't learned how to tuck my elbow in as I turned. I accidently smacked the guy right on the nose as I turned - I was so embarrassed! :oops: Luckily, he was all right and he just laughed it off, but ever since then I am really careful to make sure my elbow doesn't come near my lead's face!!!

10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

On behalf of all leads everywhere: Thank You :!: :!: :!:

11. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

Tell me there arent guys out there like this :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Although I have yet to dance with a guy who has put his hand on my neck! Upper back when in open outs and such..but I guess the strings DO hang right there..... eek!
    I think Ill stick to my original idea of NOT wearing the tie ups anymore!

12. NeoDevin

NeoDevin New Member

I was kidding :lol: :lol: :lol: To the extent of my knowledge noone would actually do such a thing...

13. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

Me and my big mouth! Hehehe! After saying that I hadnt had any yet, Last night I stood on MY OWN toe!

Seriously! I mean standing on someone elses toe is acceptable, but your own ????
    I made it bleed so of course I had everyones attention!

I still cant believe I stood on my own toe! Its not like I dont know where my feet are :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh well one notch on the belt :wink:

14. Adwiz

Adwiz New Member

Only mildly embarrassing, but certainly memorable:

My wife bought a cute black Jive dress that has what looks like thousands of threads hanging down in multiple rows all over the dress. I discovered during a Jive that they aren't just threads but loops of thread, because my hand got caught during a whip spin and I couldn't get it out. I ended up half behind her with my arm twisted around behind me and unable to extricate myself in the middle of the dance. People were laughing all around us.

I suppose more embarassing moments have been things like stepping on my own foot, but I may be the only one who noticed, unless you happened to notice the look of sheer pain!

15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

At least you protected your wife at the expense of your arm. Who says chivalry is dead? :wink: 8)

16. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Now this...if it actually happened on a dance floor...would be utterly humiliating.

I had just learned the tandem Charleston. Excited about having learned this really neat little dance, I was bound and determined to perfect it. Thus, my practice session in my kitchen. I was wearing one of my usual cute little swingy skirts and heels and dancing to some great old music. As I went for the part where the dancers 'travel' I kicked up a little too high, got my heel caught on the hem of my cute little skirt, and dropped the sucker to the floor. THAT would have been SO embarassing on a dance floor. :oops:

Horrified...I realized that I had just purchased a strapless-dress. Nightmare images of the same happening have already flashed through my brain...so my new strapless dress now sports straps...courtesy of needle and thread. :nope:

17. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

Hmm… There were so many embarrassing moments that I don’t quite know where to start. OK, here’s one.

I was dancing Kizomba with a lady (African dance where you normally dance close to your partner). We were about the same height and somehow my belt buckle got stuck on hers (swear I didn’t do it on purpose). :shock: It was as if we were glued to each other. Anyway, it was kind of awkward so I tried to unglue myself from her buckle without moving away from her or getting off-beat as a good dancer should... After about 10 seconds I managed to disconnect myself (had to invent strange moves in order to do so). We kept dancing as though nothing had happened and to my surprise our belt buckles got entwined again. I tried to disconnect again but this time I wasn’t being very successful. I heard my partner giggling and was starting to feel embarrassed. :oops: She finally told me not to worry about it because we could disconnect after the song was over. Last time I dance a Kizomba with a lady with an enormous buckle...

18. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I don't know if this is the most embarrassing, but I was thinking of the time at a party where I had an 80 year old lady trip, do a couple of rolls and land flat on her back. People were gasping and gathering around as I explained that she tripped herself and I was being careful, but was not able to catch her. She was not injured, but it was quite embarrassing.

19. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

DanceMentor, how many beers do you think she had? :wink:

20. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I needed a beer after that episode. People were looking at me and you could tell they were thinking, "What a dumb bass!"
    (note: reference to fish intentional to avoid foul language. Hmmm...foul language...maybe I should have said dumb parrot...)