What's the most embarrassing moment you've had dancing?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Suaveson, Feb 12, 2004.

1. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Nice!

2. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I've wiped out during quickstep not once, but three times, during competition. Twice I full out landed on my butt, lost a shoe, had to retrieve it and put it on again. One time I was legitimately afraid of flashing people because my skirt had flown up so high. Fortunately we just got back up and kept going...once to the audience's applause. Still mortifying though!

3. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

I was part of a team formation at a local competition. I was lifting up a woman by one arm while another guy was lifting her other arm and we were turning around in a circle. I was walking around backwards when my foot stepped on her dress and I slipped backwards and fell flat on my back. There was so much adrenaline going that the moment I fell on my back, I bounced back up and got back into position. I was down and up within 8 beats of a fast Tango tempo.

Fortunately, the woman I was holding didn't fall down. She just finished the turn herself. Some of the audience thought it was part of the routine because of how quickly I recovered. At the end of the season, my team made a video of the season's highlights. My fall was placed into the end as a blooper on a constant loop.

4. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Not sure if these qualify, but here goes:

Many eons ago at a Hustle event, I asked this one particular woman to dance. I noticed she hadn't danced hardly at all the whole night, and in about 10 seconds it was bloody obvious why. She totally berated me and made me feel like I was the worst person there and couldn't do anything right. Felt like an eternity. :-x:doh:

At a social dance about a month ago, I did a Salsa with this one woman who was a nightmare, she had the "You're doing it all wrong" attitude, and to boot, she sabotaged and short circuited every lead I did, capping i off by saying something to the effect of, "Yeah, I know I'm show-offy and all--" WHATEVER!!!!:headwall:

Once at a swing dance, I had the experience of dancing with someone who not only was VERY energetic but had nails like talons on a bird-of-prey and they were DIGGING IN! :-x I came so close to letting out a VERY uncharacteristic yelp of pain.

At another swing dance, I started dancing with this one woman of a petite build, very sweet and excellent dancer too. Just right when we started, she fell to the floor and landed on her seat. I was VERY apologetic and felt so bad, but she said, "don;t worry, my shoes are VERY slippery, not the first time it's happened". The rest of that dance went exceptionally well though.

5. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I have one of those tops with the loops of string, and at one point during cha cha, they managed to get caught in DP's shirt buttons. We managed to untangle while still dancing, but got a lot of odd stares from around the room.

Apart from that, nothing for me. However, DP learnt why, exactly, he should not cup his hands in latin. If you look closely at my display picture you can see why...he was mortified when I pointed it out.

6. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

Oh yeah, that reminded me of a time when I was dancing with a woman with hair down to her lower back. She was doing the delayed head snaps when making turns. Her hair was straight and loose. It looks really nice when she does her snaps. Somehow, the hair got snagged on my pants and got all tangled. Then the song ended and we happened to be standing where everyone gets on the floor.

So there we are, her head bent at an odd angle close to my body while I try to figure out how to unwrap her hair. Of course, everybody was passing by and giving us odd looks. We couldn't go anywhere or else I'd pull her hair out. It took me a long two minutes to get it untangled with all the people sitting nearby watching us amusingly.

7. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Wellllllll, it wasn't me but it was my son and his pro. DS and pro - for showcase and competition solo - stand in front of folding chair, pro leaps into DS arms in the and forms a "fish" ballet position - so she is completely off the floor, something goes amiss with the leap, DS catches her, and he ever so slowly (picture very slow motion), falls into the folding chair and the folding chair collapses onto the floor but he never drops his pro - while he hits the floor, chair and all. She is still in position. Hysterically funny, to standing applause.

8. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I guess I've been lucky because I've never had what I can call an embarrassing moment--even as I try to conjure up something like that from my memories... :)

9. Laurie

Laurie New Member

A costume "malfunction" doing a show at a comp was the one for me. Good thing that my partner had the presence of mine to help me when it happened.

10. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

Truly Serious Wardrobe Malfunction

Viennese Waltz.
    Can't count the number of times I've fallen in this dance.
    But this one's the worse by far (well... read on, I suppose).

Last weekend, during dress rehearsal for a VW number.
    Partner is wearing a red sheath, spaghetti-strapped, bottom flared number.
    Midway into an Int'l Rev Turn her heel digs into my pant hem.

Down I go.
    She falls as I hit the floor hard.
    I--more specifically my bottom--lands on her hem.
    She rolls to avoid me.
    Tears the dress,
    Spaghetti strap gives.
    She stands.
    I roll over to survey the damage.

I see one very cross Russian woman--al dente--hands on her waist, wearing ONLY a pair of shoes and a raised eybrow, , tapping one foot.

A looooong silence passes by, my mouth agape--in admiration, I might add.
    After a deep breath and a sigh...

Her first words: "You owe me a Prada."

My reply: "You'll need a thong."

So I'm out about $1000 (including tax).

What can I say? I love my partner.

m

[and P.S. she decided to wear underwear for the performance--which thankfully went without a hitch).

11. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

This could be used as a recruiting tool to get more young men interested in ballroom.

12. Laurie

Laurie New Member

lol :)

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

agree about vw...and definately have landed on my dupa plenty of times over stepping on a hem or something similar...
    lolz...your storu is lovely...have had a similar incident though not nearly as yummy...during american ballroom silver single dance vw at usdasc last year, pro was backing line of dance and though no one was visibly in his way or I would have warned him, a fellow had stopped and had a foot out while doing a picture line...pro trips over the guy's foot (hoighly unusual for pro who is masterful at floorcraft if I do say so) moving backward.... and while I generally know to just let go, he was going head first and it was usdsc and we had alot of dancing remaining..so I grabbed for him..well...he was too far gone...so down he goes, flat on his back..down I go, his largest student, full body right on top of him...am sure he was thinking; "why God, why couldn't it be one of the thin ones?"...so I roll off of him as quickly as possible...we both lay there for a few seconds checking for injury...I realize I have impaled myself on one of my bracelets and am bleeding pretty well on the wrist...but we pop up and finish the heat....and ...lol...WIN it...had several inquiries after our health afterward...and nice compliments from judges for having popped up and finished....mercifully my gown stayed on :)...but not nearly as fun

14. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

Oy! I'm glad that turned out well--at least karma came back and gave you a present.

Heh. The VW is more dangerous than the QS I think--the previous time my DP and I fell, it was the VW again, and that was painful: I caught a knee in the family jewels.

Had to stop for a looong minute on that one.

m

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lolz...perhaps this is why we so rarely practice vw...but I have a new open routine so I suspect things are about to get more exciting again...hopefully not in a way that jangles anything...oy...would die a thousand deaths if that were to happen

16. Mr.Atari

Mr.Atari New Member

Falling really hard during tango at our first dancing exam in 'real' ballroom clothing, with about 250 people that waited for the 'topklasse' (Sorry, don't know the English term yet) watching us going down... My leg was really bruised afterwards

17. kpm

kpm New Member

I was practicing lifts in a class, and had a girl up in the air when my hands got entangled in her shirt. I couldn't let go since she was airborne, and ended up nearly removing her shirt. Fortunately for her, we were facing away from the rest of the class when it happened.

18. Iolane

Iolane New Member

I was at a ballroom social when a gentleman asked to dance rumba. As we walked on the floor he asked me if my glasses had ever fallen off while dancing, and I said, "no." Well, I guess I spoke to soon because he led me into a double turn and my glasses flew off my face and slid across the dance floor. I took off behind them, scurrying across the floor, in a dark room, yelling, "don't step on my glasses!"

Needless to stay it was the last time I wore my glasses while dancing.

19. kckc

kckc Active Member

oh good, I'm not the only one whose story involves a chair. While practicing for a showcase involving a chair, which I am sitting in, my partner was supposed to gently pull the chair backwards at which point I stand up and twirl or something until he is in position, then we move on in the dance. Luckily this was only a practice, but I was unbalanced on the chair, and he ended up pulling me completely backwards and over. He tried to catch me, but of course it didn't happen, so I ended up (in slow motion with my arms flailing) on my back, still in the chair, in my skirt, with both feet sticking straight up in the air. I did have the presence of mind to at least cross my legs. He and the studio owner got me back upright, as the other couples there looked on in awe, amusement, horror, who knows what. The actual performance, however, went off amazingly well.

20. kckc

kckc Active Member

oh, and this just happened two hours ago at practice. I was practicing mambo, and I was trying to do some sort of backwards flick/kick for lack of a better term. For some reason, though it has never happened before, I kept getting my heel caught in my skirt and pulling it down to my knees in the back. In front of a group of about 20 people waiting for their class to begin. It was obvious my skirt kept going down since I kept bursting into laughter and then had to stop and pull it up, but luckily they couldn't see anything since we were facing them. Of course Mr. Man suggested we turn around so they could enjoy the show. Good times.