What's the most embarrassing moment you've had dancing?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Suaveson, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Izzy20

Izzy20 New Member

these stories always make me laugh.

Just a few weeks ago I was dancing with this guy who keeps hitting on me (and every other female in the area). We were dancing tango and so I was looking to the left and I notice he's grinning. I don't think too much of it but then the dance ends and I look down. Apparently I had lost weight since the last time I'd worn the dress and it had twisted around showing almost all of one boob. The guy just smiled and kinda laughed. I was mortified but just laughed and pulled the dress back up. I went to the restroom after that and taped myself into the dress to be sure it didn't happen again.

Another one from when I first started social dancing. I am a very shy person and was kinda hiding in the corner without meaning to so no one was asking me to dance. My teacher came over and danced with me and then told me to sit in the front so people could see me. I then noticed him go over and talk to this guy who then came and asked me to dance. I was embarassed that my teacher had to ask him to ask me. Then when were dancing waltz our knees kept banging together. I was new at waltz and he was the same height as me (unusual since i'm 5'1). I actually fled after the dance and took me about a year to get up the courage to go again.

2. Nvm

Nvm New Member

Sneeze on partner.

3. LaWa

LaWa New Member

I "lost" my left foot yesterday evening at a social. We were doing basic quickstep stuff down the long wall, when the couple behind us got so close that my left foot was clamped between their leading feet :oops: I inserted a special hopping step while DP dragged me free. It must have looked really funny from the sidelines. No injuries thankfully.

4. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

That does not sound like something to be embarrassed about! Sounds more like effective floorcraft! :cheers:

5. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I almost lost a skirt last time I went to a social. I flicked my foot, and the heel caught the edge of my skirt and pulled it a bit down.

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lolz...this week at usdc...pro was wearing a buttoned latin shirt...which is not always the case...we are both in the blondish reddish hair hues...so I spotted some hair on his shirt between heats and figured it was miy hiar on his shirt...lolz...but when I went to pull it off I soon discovered that I was yaking on his chest hairs...lolz...properly offended he was...and then later in the day on some move, I grazed his chest so hard with a long fake nail that he told me he was certain I had taken off his left nipple... :)...poor man

7. megeliz

megeliz Member

Worst gaffe, or what has embarrassed me the most?

My worst gaffe was during late night at a dance event, and I had had a few too many tequila shots, and ended up falling on the floor during 2 consecutive dances doing nothing more complicated than like, a tuck turn...they made me go to bed after the second time. I didn't know the first guy from Adam, but you KNOW he found me on facebook like, the next day (he included a message mentioning the fall in his friend request). It still gets joked about almost a year later. I was too drunk to really be embarrassed about it though (I make for a very giggly drunk).

What really embarrasses me the most are really just those off nights where I can't seem to follow anything - when I'm off-time, and seem to stumble through even basics. That really embarrasses me. Falling? Pft, either I was drunk, or the guy lead me in too many spins that he well knows I'm not capable of (or both). Not being able to follow a perfectly good lead? That's embarrassing to me.

8. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Dancing Salsa in a competition, somehow-someway, my pro and I became "stuck" together at our beltline with my costume literally in his belt buckle...and it got pretty creative from that point. lol.

9. Dots

Dots Active Member

I have been lurking in this forum for a while now and finally decided to join. Somehow, it seems fitting that my first post would be about my most embarrassing moments :p

1) One day between group classes, I had a terrible cramp in my lower back; the kind that only goes away after a good stretch. We had spent most of the previous evening doing exercises while laying flat on the floor during an arm styling class so I figured “why not?”. I laid flat on my back and started stretching, closing my eyes as I popped everything back into place (to my great relief). When I opened my eyes again, I had 8 people surrounding me with concerned expression on their faces:

- “Did you get hurt?”
    - “Did you fall?”
    - “Are you all right?”
    - “Is there a doctor in the house?”
    - “I’m a doctor!”

Me: “Um… guys… I’m just stretching my back.”

2) During a Salsa group class, our teacher showed us how to do the waist spin. After a few partner switches, I got paired up with someone who was as tall as me with her shoes (6’3”) and I started the move. The first “cross body lead” part with a waist spin went well and then I led her behind me. Then we each made a mistake.

Being unable to see her (she was behind me), I reached back with my right hand, but at the same level as the other dancers… which was aligned with her hip instead of her waist. That would not have been so bad, but she also committed a mistake and led herself into the next spin, so when my hand reached back I very firmly grasped her by her bum. By the time that I realized what had just happened, it was already too late and I ended up spinning her by her bum.

We ended up facing each other, her eyes wide in surprise and my face growing bright red as I immediately stammered a horrified apology. She was kindhearted enough to immediately laugh and brush the incident away. I thought I was off the hook, but then we switched partners and the next one immediately jabbed a finger towards my chest while throwing me an evil eye and saying: “I saw that!”

Needless to say, I decided that I would “not” use the waist spin in any supervised practice or social event or at least not until I got a whole lot more experienced. It’s not technically hard, but the potential for an embarrassing mistake is just too great for my taste for now ;)

10. fascination

lolz...great posts...welcome to df

11. megeliz

megeliz Member

Hahaha, that just reminded me of another story! I was dancing with a guy who is NOTORIOUS for teaching on the dance floor, and during this particular dance, he was telling me that when he was leading me backward from behind, to make sure i kept my left hand out and available for him to grab...well, at one point, he leads me backward from behind, I have my hand out for him to grab...and it goes STRAIGHT into his crotch! ...served him right!

12. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Hilarious for my partner, at a Sunday afternoon dance, a song came on that sounded so much like Waltz (felt like it, but there was no drums or percussion to clearly set a beat), so we're going along and something just does NOT feel right at all. Bless her heart, my partner points out it's actually Tango--- D'OH!!! :doh:

I'm apologizing every which way and she got a good laugh out of it, and we continued on in Tango gear.

13. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I'm still very new to ballroom and already have an embarrassing story. Looks like I'm in for an interesting journey.

I was dancing with a very sweet older gentleman at one of our socials the other night. We were dancing a rumba and he led me into (I don't know names of steps yet) some kind of under-arm turn where I turn to my left. The turn actually went off without a hitch, but his right arm/hand were perfectly boob level, and when I spun around I got a nice palm to my upper chest area which started on my back, moved across my left boob, continued all the way across my right boob and then came to a stop once again on my back. I'm fairly well-endowed and not a small lady so in a way, I felt responsible for this little flub and whether my fault or not, it was completely embarrassing. The only thing that made it a little better was that this gentleman is a physician, so he just pretended that it didn't happen, and I was happy about that. :oops:

14. fascination

I don't know how new he is or not...but that flub is definitively on him

15. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Yeah, what fasc said. Watch out for him. It was probably a flub, but there is an occcasional one who will take advantage of a newbie. If it ever happens again, say something pretty sharp to him.

16. itsthisgirl

itsthisgirl New Member

stories: OH THE HORROR!!!

So we all have heard the success stories that make your heart skip a beat. Now lets make our heart skip a beat in a different way. What are some horror stories you have seen/experienced while performing/competing (wardrobe malfunction, horrible collisions, falling flat on your bottom...)? OH THE HORROR!!!!

(this should be entertaining) ;)

17. Griffico

Griffico Member

My number fell off once when I was a newcomer doing swing at a poorly ventilated smallcollegiate comp. The numbers weren't very high quality, so the pins tore right through. I just had to pick it up and keep going while holding it to my partner's back. Little did I know I was holding it upside down!

18. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

My hair got caught on another girl's dress (near her wrist)... during a quickstep... and neither of our partners noticed. It took me a whole measure to reach back and give it a few yanks until it finally came loose.

I've also had a few near-disasters, like getting my heel caught in the front of my shoe right at the end of a VWaltz and falling backwards. My partner caught me, but apparently a judge that was right behind me had this face: D:

19. fascination

we do have a thread similar to this somewhere...invoking the migty TC...and I only know because my own mishaps are posted there

20. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

*casts "Summon TC" on thread....now where's my d20...*