What's the most embarrassing moment you've had dancing?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Suaveson, Feb 12, 2004.

1. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I was dancing a quickstep with one of my pre champ friends at a social when he decided to try to do open quickstep with me and started a run down the floor. The floor was a little more slippery than I expected and I lost my balance and fell flat on my butt in front of everyone.

2. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Ah, quickstep. I had a similar moment once. Not long after I'd first started learning the dance, I was at one of the area's community dances. The first quickstep of the night was also the next to last dance of the night. Between the lateness of the day and the fact that it was quickstep, I was the only one who was inclined to dance it. But I did want to practice it, so I grabbed a friend of mine who knew roughly as much quickstep as I did. Now to be clear, I mean we had the entire floor all to ourselves.

Midway through the dance, our feet got tangled, and I went down *hard*. It's the only time I've ever fallen in a dance. My response was, of course, to hop up, grab my partner's hand and take a bow. It was the only thing I could do. :)

3. Paul.Long

Paul.Long Member

Stretching on the floor and my pants split. This happened literally 10 minutes before rhythm started in front of judges. The hole was about 10 inches and everyone could see my underwear. Luckily I always bring "back-up" clothes to competitions for just such an emergency.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

dancing with a safety pin in the crotch...and it opened in the middle of several sets in a row...not able to leave not able to explain to pro...not a good outcome

5. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

That sounds absolutely awful. Ow ow ow! I'm going to make sure to never usea safety pin down there!

6. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I have had escapist boobs on several occasions.... Once I was going to hug my pro and the strap unexpectedly broke at that moment. He got a front row view of, well, everything. He screamed, "oh my god I just saw your whole boob!" and then started laughing hysterically. The other time I was practicing after a lesson with a high level coach so I was wearing a lace tank top I don't usually wear dancing (not the same shirt from before). My partner and I do a lunge, I do this big shape, and my boob decides to join the party.

I wasn't particularly embarrassed by either situation bc I have no sense of modesty but I did find it hysterical.

7. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I vaguely recall reading a post here (don't think it was on this thread but on a pro appreciation thread maybe) and someone told a story of this guy getting stepped out of his shoe, then getting his sock ripped off by a nail, and the whole judging panel shaking with laughter.... I was always entertained by that story. Where is TC when you need him?

8. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

9. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

I think this one also counts as an embarrassing moment.

10. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

OMG YES!!!! I swear, I will never understand how you do the things you do, TC.

11. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

LOL I had forgotten about that post!! And yes, I suppose it was embarrassing... At the time I just wanted relief.

It actually reminds me if another story that I cannot remember for the life of me if I ever told here. It was most certainly embarrassing so I will tell it again:
    Same competition (MIT 2008 I believe), but different dress. After doing pre-champ, my partner and I were doing gold Latin the next day. I had decided to wear my old dress which was cut super low in the back with a skirt that was longer in the back than the front. I had lost weight since getting the dress made for me so it was sitting so low in the back, like right above my crack, such that I couldn't wear underwear. Now, my partner and I are on the floor for jive and I was dancing super enthusiastically and managed to get my heel caught in my skirt. Due to the low cut back and the fact that it was already hanging on for dear life, I pulled my dress down all the way past my behind, tripped over it, and ended up hopping for what seemed like eternity on one foot with my entire bum flapping in the breeze before I was able to free my heel. Mind you, I had my back facing several judges and the bleachers (anyone familiar with MIT will know that that means I mooned almost every spectator there). Glory.

12. fourand1

fourand1 New Member

Nonie, you seem like a really fun girl. I bet you get invited to all the parties.

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Pics or it didn't happen!

14. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

well, with all my body parts flying about, I cannot imagine how I couldn't be invited.

15. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I admire you for being so okay about it. I sometimes feel so reserved with my dancing because I know people are watching...I honestly wonder how you can do it! You rock!

16. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

aw shucks... thanks so much.

FWIW, I have never been the most modest or self conscious person and I am in no way, shape, or form shy... AT ALL. I have always liked being the center of attention, so I have been lucky in that I naturally have an easier time on the comp floor than other people.

In terms of being okay with wardrobe issues, I also have a long history of performance activities, from theatre to figure skating to ballet, so at this point I have experienced almost every malfunction imaginable while on display in front of large groups of people. I have had boobs escaping, brain farts (aka line/dance step forgetting), pants falling off, tripping, falling over, costumes/props breaking, inexplicable giggles, and on one notable occasion I have even peed myself (hey, I was 8 and it was an emergency :oops:). There is very little that can faze me any more, but I still have performance troubles here and there... i.e. for some reason I have recently picked up the habit of making a face when I am confused by my partner's lead. I never used to do that and it is frustrating because I am having trouble fixing it.

OT/Thread Hijack: With regards to performance anxiety: I have found it helps if I try to focus on my partner or the audience and make eye contact. Then it feels like I am having a conversation with them and it is easier to connect. Plus, when you look someone in the audience in the eye, they usually smile, and it feels better to be dancing in front of them. I also try to focus on how much fun I am having while I am out there on the floor.

It also helps if I am jittery before performing to remind myself that the worst possible thing that could happen, has likely already happened, will likely happen again in the future, and is really not that bad in the grand scheme of things, so there is no use agonizing over it. When I was super little, my skating coaches used to pull the "imagine the judges in polka dot underwear/gorilla suits/something funny" trick, and it would usually help me to smile while I was on the ice. I also have watched videos where I danced reserved, and videos where I didn't care and went all out... the dancing is easier/less effortful and looks better the more you free yourself.

Sorry for the hijack, guys. That took longer than I thought. I still have more tips on what at least I personally try to do to loosen up on the floor, but I should probably direct them to a more relevant thread. ;)

17. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

i'm speechless!!!

18. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I look at it this way, which is worse--a strap comes loose and I might accidentally flash the audience, or the worst that could happen to me at a horse show? (I come off and break my neck.) Worst that could happen at a figure-skating test? (I completely blow it and have to come back in 28 days and reskate it again.) By comparison, a wardrobe malfunction is relatively minor. Heck, it was more embarassing when my hair came loose in Jive (bun, hairnet, lots of pins, and it still wound up as a ponytail.)

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that story's hilarious and...i imagine, truly em-bare-knat-ing. :cool:

20. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

bwahahahahahah!!! badum chhhhh!!!!