What's with the little colored squares?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Peaches, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

;)
  2. fascination

ah...if only that were true...this is just more overt:rolleyes:
  3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

hear! hear !
  4. fascination

I think lots of folks agree...i also think it isn't worth taking too seriously
  5. bordertangoman

and yet this thread has run to 77 pages!

a very trivial pursuit, methinks

as Wilde might have said " the unspeakable in pusuit of the inconsequential"
    1 person likes this.
  6. fascination

look how long the lunch thread is!!!! LOL...but yes, there are many ways in which the feature, not the thread, is as problematic as it can be interesting...and I am glad that the thread is still up so that the frustration or hurt that folks experience can be made known...and I trust that the admins are taking that to heart as they evaluate the feature
  7. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I understand, and this is the type of problem that we were having on another board. It's like a popularity contest in it's own way, and this type of thing does make you feel like you are a little kid, because oh... you can't make someone mad or they will give you negative points lol. I don't care, because it's like I have said before, I don't care if I'm liked... I'll still state my mind. And I'm not going to beg for points either, but that's just me. Anyways, they finally had to remove the system on the other board, because people were complaining about that and other things that were going on.

And to those posters that have more points, just be careful in saying that you shouldn't feel this way, or not take it to seriously, because some people do, and I bet that you would probably feel the that way if you didn't have as many green squares as you do.

Also just to point out that the way that I see negative points is not because I may not like this or that person, it's because the person slammed down someone for no reason, and/or weren't watching how they were coming across to another person, and/or being rude in general. ;)
  8. fascination

well we are all subject to the red squares and we all get them....I rather doubt anyone here is wasting too much time trying to avoid that b/c it really isn't possible...if people don't like you they don't like you...and that is unlikely to change..as for begging, I think that is more of a lighthearted thing that acknowleges how silly it can all be and again when many folks jokingly do that they are subject to the red as well as the green....
    there is a big difference between telling someone they should or shouldn't feel a particular way and suggesting that the whole thing shouldn't be taken too seriously...green squares are not merely a reflection of popularity either...they accrue due to the sheer volume of posts one has and the amt of stature that the person giving the reputation has...so they shouldn't be viewed merely as popularity either...I think regardless of how green someone is, red still hurts at times so I rather doubt that I specifically would feel any different with fewer green squares...that having been said...this feature is still being evaluated ...so it is good that folks are concerned... that any one of us has alot of squares doesn't reflect our opinion about the merits of the feature
    agreed...i have voted green to people who are not particularly my favorites because they said something bright or funny or kind...and I tend to give out red when someone is being malicious or has said something that I think rises to the occasion of being a really destructive or incorrect comment, and that is exceedinlgy rare...
  9. bordertangoman

given the above, isn't it clear that it is such a subjective matter that it is rather a waste of time and will sow the seeds of envy, discontent etc. blue doesn't like the comments, others don't lie their anonymity and I for one think the whole thing sucks.

see you in hell, folks, bye.
  10. fascination

we don't disagree....I think most folks have concerns...they may not rise to the same level as yours but they have them, myself included....I don't know what will eventually be decided or when but I do know that the people deciding are good and caring folks who want what is best for the forum and are listening to what everyone has to say
  11. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Yeah, but one of the arguments here is that why do you want to feel as though you can't state your mind when you come to a discussion board when you basically come to get away from things like that in the real world anyways? You are going to be judged no matter what, but why do you have to see it like when we see the green squares? It's like you have to constantly think this or that now when you are writing posts, and to me that's just silly in my opinion. But I'm older now, and I really can see both sides of the argument. However, to me it's almost like you don't want to get any red squares thinking that maybe you'll get kicked off the forum or something, because you aren't with the in crowd lol.

Actually, this whole thing is about reputation is it not? And from word reputation is, you can either be liked or not liked. For example, one definition for reputation is,
    "
    the state of being held in high esteem and honor
    "

:confused: Isn't that what these squares are about?

You know like let's see who can get the most green squares, cause you'll win the prize for being the best poster ever lol! ;)

Yeah that's good. I'm glad to hear it! It took a while for the other board to get evaluated too. So, I understand. But I knew as soon as this feature was installed that this type of thing would happen eventually, because I've seen it happen elsewhere. ;)

You mean we agree on something!!!! I think this is a celebration!!! :D
    1 person likes this.
  12. fascination

i for one would like to hope that folks would be that careful about what they post without the feature...that folks would care not to hurt others intentionally...that folks would modulate their emotions....so that folks may bear that more in mind is not a bad part of the feature IMO...there is a difference between that and selling out for the "love"

yes and that is different from just being liked....for example...when I first came on here Joe rubbed me the wrong way but I really really respected him, his wit, his intelligence, his knowlege of dance....there are certain folks who I respect for a variety of reasons and the system is meant to respect both a person's level of participation, seniority, the degree to which their posts are respected by others with greater degrees of similar reputation...etc...that is what it is meant to reflect...I am not certain whether it does or doesn't

its nice but as you said, not neccessary or a priority for either of us....but yes I am up for any good news
  13. bordertangoman

what does this have to do with DANCING???????
  14. fascination

what do any othe the threads in DA have to do with dancing?...if you will note that's what it says: for some reason you folks want to talk about something other than dancing....look at the forum description of this category
    1 person likes this.
  15. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Here!!
  16. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

*waves*

(love your new avatar!)
    1 person likes this.
  17. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

very nice avatar:)
  18. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

*hi!*

it won't last more than a day or so... just looking for something new.
  19. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I also love the new avatar, Larinda. Simply gorgeous.
  20. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

yur sew pwitty.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.