What's with the little colored squares?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Peaches, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I would hope so too, but it's not always the case as I'm sure that you are well aware of.

Well, I can tell you at this point if someone complains... even if it is only one person, then the system isn't working. I mean you can't please everyone, but why not at least try to figure out what can be done to please them? That's why most companies will ask you to fill out a survey if you leave them hoping you'll tell them what they did wrong, so they can think about what happened, and maybe try to fix it even.

I agree, because yes... I don't care if I'm liked or am not liked as you probably think this too. But it's nice to know that at least our discussion was kept at a positive level of conversation, and hey... I'm always open for a new celebration or even any old celebration whatever the case might be! ;)
  2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

The thing with the squares is "it is just a game" . A large portion of the DF population hasn't even noticed the squares or thought to question them. So why get all bent out of shape over them? I am very happy to have my squares but... is it really going to ruin my day if I get another red square? I hope I have more in my life than this...

We judge each other all the time when we read threads anyway. We agree openly and we snipe at each other. So what is the harm in throwing a bone to each other, or popping a red one to say we don't like a post.
  3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

In addition to what Larinda points out, and as DM stated in the 6th post of this entire thread, this is a feature that we have been trying out. It has both advantages and disadvantages, and is still under consideration.

I do have to say, however, that I think it is rather unfair to cast any "blame" on moderators who take the time to respond regarding a feature which they did not choose or initiate. Just some food for thought.
    1 person likes this.
  4. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Haha... you poor thing. You are trying! And you know I just got a negative remark for replying to Blue's thread, and I didn't think it was way off base. Why is it that you all can say that stuff and I can't, and why was that way off base when I said what I've been through which is what we are going through now, and with understanding of both sides lol? That kind of remark to me was uncalled for. Oh well. But see... it's those types of comments that people don't care for, and you will lose some really good people or they will just not comment any more. Not me! That doesn't change how I feel about what I say lol! ;)
  5. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

What about those that cast the blame on us common folk for trying to have a discussion about it? (Not you I'm referring to receiving a red square that I posted in my last post, because someone thought I was off base when I replied to Blue with my comment.) I call that abusing the system if you ask me. ;)
  6. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh now Monopoly should come up with that game! It might end up being a best seller!!! ;)
  7. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I'm just glad to have something to do when I'm bored at work. :D
    1 person likes this.
  8. Larinda McRaven

but see that is just it. We are all subjuect to red squares. What makes you think you are the only one getting them... I have quite a few myself including the one I just got 5 minutes ago for my post above.
  9. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

If you had actually read my posts, then you would see that I know I'm not the only one getting red squares. I'm making points with what I'm trying to say. You would also know from actually reading my posts that I can see things from both sides, because I had already seen this type of thing before. So, I'm not against the new system, but I'm also not for it.

Here's a thought: Why not make a poll to see who likes the system and who doesn't like the system or who doesn't care about the system etc., but give everyone a good amount of time to answer in case some posters are on vacation this summer?
  10. Larinda McRaven

It is when people act out and use the squares as a way of "Ha, I'll show you" that the system gets abused.

If people really only gave the squares when they really felt the post was worthy or way off base, rather than for emotional reasons, if it was used as it was meant, then what is the problem?
  11. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

The problem is that not everyone thinks like you and will abuse the system to their liking. I wish we all thought that way, because it would be a fun system if that were the case. But the fact is, we all think differently and you have to take those thoughts into consideration as well as the positive.
  12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

i am trying with all my might
  13. fascination

on point as usual
  14. fascination

are you being censored? it seems to me that someone simply didn't like your response but it certainly doesn't mean you aren't allowed to make it...just as your negative in my or anyone else's direction are fair game as well
  15. fascination

silly Larinda, READ before you post:rolleyes: (ducks)
  16. fascination

and SD ...I love you
  17. fascination

and FTR..we are all common folk ...no one in the mod, even the queen herself, really holds themselves above anyone else..we all bleed and hurt and have our own personal junk and have been on the margins and been outcast and all that crap...and whther or not the feature stays or goes...we would all do well to remember that when we speak to one another...imo...which is no better than any one else's
    1 person likes this.
  18. chandra

chandra New Member

Ok, heres my take on all of this. (bear with me if this is wondering and poorly phrased... I cant quite figure out how to get what I mean accross)

Ive been having fun playing with this feature, as have others. Incidently, all of my red squares are for square whoring posts. (I just got called an "ego maniac" for agreeing to square trade with fascintaion.)

Obviously, this feature bothers people. And I agree that the way we are using it now, is just a fun game. My 3 squares arent there cause I said anything really useful or serious (I havent been posting in serious threads much recently), only cause I play the rep game.

We KNOW that not everyone is going to agree with what we have to say, its just a fact of life. The way the system is set up now, with limits on how much rep one can give to a particular person, trys to lesson the damage that personal dislike can do to someones reputation. I think it is important to judge posts not people. (I have given rep to posters that in general I am not fond of their tone, for a good post) The over all composit of rep gives us our thoughts as a community on the quality of a persons posts. As its a new feature now, we are playing around, giving out alot of rep.

I agree and disagree that this system needs to be taken less seriously. I agree with it, the way it was implied, that its not that big a deal, and we dont need to get worked up over it. We can discuss it NICELY. But, I also think that for it to work the way dancementor seems to be invisioning it, and not as a popularity contest, it needs to be taken more seriosly in a way. People should give people rep cause they appreciate a post, or really dont appreciate a post, not just on a whim, or cause they ask. I really think thats the only way we will get what we want out of it. Also, I really think people need to give rep to posts not people, like I mentioned earlier.

Over the last (dang, more than a year now) I have been part of this forum, the mood seems to eb and flow. We have weeks where there are alot of arguments, and dissatisfaction, but I think, on the whole, DF is an amazingly freindly wonderful comunity that is very warm and welcoming to all members. I think if this system could work for any board, it could work for us.

Oh, incidently, I leave my name when i leave comments, cause I like to know who appreciates my posts, and I think others feel the same.

As ussual, IMHO, IME, etc.
  19. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

So if we fill out a complaint card to DF, does that mean we get free burgers?
    I want extra Swarovskis on mine, please.
  20. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well, I haven't had anyone name call me yet like what they did with Chandra, which I think is a bit immature. But it seems like even in my positive posts, there seems to be someone that doesn't like them, and will be pretty mean about it if you ask me. They don't give a good reason in other words, and just saying you are off base etc. when you know you weren't and had others look at it to see if you were, is a bit mean, because I'm like... maybe they are trying to get me not to talk, which you all know by now it's not possible lol. (Oh and I had others look in case I was missing something like why someone would have been mad, and I'm just not catching it lol.)

I just don't like giving out negative posts, so I really try not to. As I have said, if I feel they are rude etc., then I will do so. It seems to me though that this reputation system is bringing out a lot more rudeness than what we've been through in the past, and I think that's because it's hitting a more personal issue with posters than ever before because a person might not know how to take it.

Oh and can people that don't belong to the forum give reputation does anyone know?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.