What's your favorite quote and why?

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by chomsky, Aug 28, 2011.

1. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Come again? No way, I urgently need a translator, and to think I'm supposed to be one a decade now...
  2. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

"He who saves one life, saves the world" - I love the idea that we each have to do our part to make world changes.
  3. chomsky

luv it!
    You are so so right, I think it's like a chain...you do this to someone and they do it to someone else, and then that someone else does it to someone else...
  4. chomsky

Cogito ergo sum. I think therefore I am. Je pense donc je suis. Rene Descartes

I dance therefore I am. Maria aka Chomsky...
  5. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I'll give you two, which sum up my outlook on life:

"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle." -- Steve Jobs (RIP)

"Excellence is not an act, it is a habit." -- No idea who originally said it, but one of my mantras.
  6. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

:cheers: to those...
  7. chomsky

The first one of your mantras deeply hurts me. The only thing I've done ever since I finished uni was settle. Jobwise, it's not as if I ever had a choice, I always had to make money. I'm a teacher by profession but work as a clerk for a leaving...Still, as my DH very well pointed out to me you don't work to enjoy yourself, you just work to be able to afford to dance. So, there you go...;)

I just love your second mantra...It's such a nice idea to make excellence a habit!

8. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

"Leap empty-handed into the void". Frank Langella's favorite quote when going out there on stage for his theatrical performances. I feel the same way in various endeavors! :)
  9. chomsky

Nice one Ray Sison!I'm definetely going to use it!
  10. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

(a metaphor for living one's life)

"The secret of immortality:

Plant a tree,
    Write a book,
    Teach a child "

m
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

two down, one to go...can I leave then please?
  12. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary." - Steve Jobs
  13. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

:cheers: Phil! That definitely is one of the quotes that I love the most. On NPR the other day, I heard a recording of Steve Jobs saying it. Along with the whole commencement speech he gave at Stanford...
  14. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

A guy and a girl can be just friends but at one point or another they will fall for each other. Maybe temporary, maybe at the wrong time, maybe too late or maybe forever...
  15. chomsky

Friends are the sunshine of life.
    John Hay
  16. chomsky

“I do not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it” Voltaire
  17. chomsky

Michel de Montaine (1533-1592) “My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
  18. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

ON THE other hand if you follow that advice you arent living your own life because you are doing something someone else suggested

AAAH! my logic circuits are about to explode!!!...
  19. chomsky

no, quite the opposite. Is it just me? I don't get it that way...Is it my english? You are supposed to follow your heart and intuition, am I right?
  20. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

Sein oder nicht sein, das ist hier die Frage. Need I say more?