when a beginner becomes intermediate

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by shopper-lisa, Nov 18, 2004.

1. shopper-lisa

shopper-lisa New Member

In Lindy Hop what is the difference between a beginner and an intermediate dancer? When does a person go from being a beginner to being intermediate?

Obviously a person who is just learning what 6-count and 8-count moves are, or what the basic patterns are, is a beginner. But at what point after knowing those, is there a transition?
  2. blue

blue New Member

I don't think there are universal definitions of "beginner" and "intermediate". It probably varies in different places.
  3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I don't think I ever will be an intermediate dancer. :)
  4. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

I agree with blue. But for myself I would say I went from beginner to beginner/intermediate when I had my first revelation, when I went from walking through patterns to feel that i were actually dancing.
  5. Vin

Vin New Member

There are two ways that I look at this question,
    first from the point of view of someone looking to rank themselves:
    The labels, beginner, intermediate, and advanced are misnomers when it comes to dancing. Rather than worry about what level one has attained instead you should be constantly looking for areas in which your own dancing can improve.
    I have seen it written that the break point between beginner and intermediate in salsa is double spins, well I have recently been learning double spins and when I got them I didn't automatically have some sort of salsa epiphany.
    More important than knowing alot of moves is understanding the underlying principles of the dance.

If you are looking to make a syllabus for a course than the above argument still applies. I once took a Lindy Hop class, I progressed quite quickly through the class simply through having experience dancing salsa.

I was far from what one would call an advanced(or even intermediate) lindy hopper in terms of moves but since I understood alot of the underlying principles of partner dancing I was still able to progress quicker than many in the class who had a larger repertoire of moves.

The point is that a teacher can make a syllabus as hard or as easy as they want(within reason). The "beginners" will struggle to get anything useful out of it. The "advanced dancers" will spend the class learning subtleties, the "intermediates" will move up to the level where they are struggling but learning alot.

Where I learned Lindy Hop, just the act of learning Lindy Hop itself was a status symbol showing one was at the very least intermediate. The swing community was largely east coast swing with only those that took it a bit more seriously bothering to learn Lindy.

The real transition you should look for is
    How comfortable is the person dancing to the music?
    Is the person on time with the moves that they do know?
    In general do people enjoy dancing with said person?
  6. huey

huey New Member

Good question shopper,

Probably when you start feeling the connection and music instead of thinking about moves. I think the number of people
    who want to dance with you regularly will be a guide to the above.