When did you start dancing?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Kenzie D., Nov 19, 2012.

1. Kenzie D.

Kenzie D. New Member

So I'm a youngin' as some of you might notice from my pic. I learned how to swing dance in middle school but I only just got into it this year. Like, in these past few months. I was wondering at what point in your lives that everyone else got started with swing dancing. I hear about these people who grew up with it or started when they were really young and they're just fantastic and I'm jealous because I still have to learn everything they were immersed into. So, yeah. I got my start at 16. (Which is currently) How about you?
  2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

First.. welcome to the best dance site on the net.:)

Youre at the perfect age to begin your dance journey, and ,you may eventually discover all the other styles that, will challenge you and give you more insights ,to all the possibilties that "dance " may provide .
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi Kenzie D. Welcome! :)
  4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Hi Kenzie.

Other than one time "free dancing," like at 2001 Odyssey in Pittsburgh (must have been 1973! I think I still have a post card I picked up there) , and the occassional polka at weddings and the Little Kro Bar in Brule Wisconsin, I can't really say I started dancing until the mid 90s.

Do the Math!

I may finally break down and add Lindy Hop to the list of dances I've learned. Over the years I've seen even grade schoolers tearing it up doing Lindy. So, no, I'm not jealous. There's too much stuff in the world to learn. I'd be jealous of too many people who already know so much more than me about the things I don't know!
  5. Kenzie D.

Kenzie D. New Member

See it's those kids that I'm jealous of! Because what grade schooler looks at his mom and says "I want to learn the Lindy Hop, mommy." Their parents were probably good dancers already or put their kids in lessons early. It's weird to say but I wish I had been given no choice to learn swing dance, then I would be as good at dancing as I would be at speaking English. I guess I'm just easily discouraged because it takes me a while to get certain dances and moves. It's just so much fun and I really want to be good! :)
    chomsky likes this.
  6. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

Started about seven months ago (I'm 31). Have been dancing ever since. Only wish I had started sooner. Feel like I am constantly "catching up" so to speak.
  7. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I looked at some old appointment books that I had in the closet.

April 6, 1992 Tush Push
    June 29, 1992 Mr B West Coast Swing 6:45
  8. jwn57030

jwn57030 New Member

I've been dancing for about one and half years. I started just before I turned 30. I never really knew about swing dancing before then. I met a friend who did it and invited me to go with her. I was completely hooked after that. I put in a lot of time to practice and learning and I am pretty good now. Even if you don't start young you still have time to learn. I would encourage anyone to bring a friend to dance classes or dances who have never been.
    juwest333 likes this.
  9. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF, Kenzie. I wouldn't worry that you're starting "late". Kids that start in grade school at that time are still lacking in basic coordination, and the ability to focus for extended periods of time. So they don't have that much of an advantage in the long term over people that start in their teens. I know of many people that didn't find their passion for dance until adulthood, and still went on to be respected professionals and competitors.
  10. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Did a fair amount of "free dancing" in my teens, but started taking ballroom lessons in 1984 (after watching the old Dance Fever TV show), still dancing to this day.
  11. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Started ballroom about 6 years ago, when I was 14. And I started swing 4 month ago, at 19.

My BF started swing at the same time as me, and he's 24. We're both absolutely loving it. 16 is definitely not to young to start, especially seeing as swing is more of a casual and relaxed dance style.
  12. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Got into C&W and then BR at age 26. WCS I expanded to only 8 years ago. You're picking a good time to do so Kenzie; keep at it and you'll get there. :)
  13. dancelike

dancelike New Member

I started at around 30, now I'm 40. I think no late for dancing, except for competition. Dancing for many people mean relaxation. They feel happy because they can play with it, doing an exercise and communicating with others. So do I. It's just for fun, for a better life. I like social dance!
    juwest333 likes this.