When do you stop being a beginner?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Luckily you aren't one of those... :kissme:

2. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

3. newbie

newbie Active Member

When you sign for an intermediate class and after the warm-up dance, the teacher does not come to you and say, excuse me, you don't qualify.

4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

or roll his or her eyes :rolleyes: :D

5. Imbrace

Imbrace Member

Funny :)

I'd say when you're very comfortable leading/following any partner who's at your level or higher.

6. Zoopsia59

When you take any workshop or class on any topic and the instructor doesn't correct your posture or walk at some point in the class.

(making me still a beginner... :rolleyes:)

7. sixela

sixela Active Member

Actually, I observed the reverse. Teachers will always try to correct your posture or your walk, since you're usually dancing your dance and not his/hers, unless there's so much work he/she doesn't know where to start. Argentines are especially likely to do so. Often you do learn something, but that usually doesn't make you dance exactly how they'd expect you to dance.

I think you're not a beginner when at the start of the workshop he/she corrects one thing but gives you more than your fair share of attention in doing so, gives up in the middle, and pats your back with a big smile at the end.

8. LoveTango

LoveTango Member

Or at advanced workshops, you are used by a teacher as a partner for demonstrations?

9. Zoopsia59

Yay! I'm not a beginner after all!!

Although, if I'm being totally honest, this happened more some years back than recently. I think it had less to do with my own level and more to do with the comparative level of me to others in the classes... and the others caught up eventually.

And I DO still get corrections on my walk and posture. :mad:
    ONE DAY I'll get them mastered! :rolleyes:

10. newbie

newbie Active Member

It happened to me a couple of times.
    :banana:

Then the teacher said "See, class? This is bad. Now let me show you how to do it."

11. bordertangoman

hmmm I get this with my regular dance partner; she systemises her dancing into "moves" and not following. bloody polymath.

12. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I have often used beginner followers to demonstrate. I was trying to demonstrate to leaders that, if I could lead a beginner through a step, it was not her fault if they could not lead her through the same step.

13. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

...And to followers, that if a leader, instead of trying to "instruct" her verbally, just shuts up and leads, it actually would work much, much better ;)

14. LoveTango

LoveTango Member

It seems that one can never prove that he/she is advanced. ;)
    Who cares, as long as we get to dance with our favorite partners.:D

15. pascal

pascal Member

It happens all the times during the class. We see pupils having trouble, I lead the follower and it's ok, I say it's not her fault, while the female teacher follows the other pupil and tells him he's ok too.

16. pascal

pascal Member

This is more something we have to tell to our follower pupils. Shut up and follow whatever he may lead, instead of telling him "This is not the sequence" or "With the teacher I am following fine."

17. bordertangoman

hear hear

18. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

The hardest way to learn is with beginners dancing with other beginners. Unfortunately, that's how it typically is done.

19. bordertangoman

I dont see why anyone should have it easier than we did. :tongue:

20. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

That's true, the same goes for both parts: blaming and/or instructing the partner will most probably make things worse, not better. It is just around here we mostly see men doing that, but YMMV.