When does Height make a difference?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Chris Eaton, Apr 16, 2013.

?

Does a difference in Height make ANY difference

1. NO never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. YES sometimes

57.1%
  3. Only a VERY large difference

28.6%
  4. Only if the Follow is Taller than the Lead

14.3%
  5. Only for certain Dances

28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Chris Eaton

Chris Eaton Member

Umm... We are still talking about height now aren't we girls?
    I'm starting to feel inadequate! Lol
  2. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

You'll be fine dancing with anyone up to 8 inches shorter. Beyond that, either the follower will have to stretch more or you have to bend your knees.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

ahh thats why the mrs and i struggle in standard! LOL
    Gorme likes this.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

and your arms
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  5. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

6. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

The better the dancer(s), the better at managing less than ideal height differences. Gorme's a good follower. I've led him in International foxtrot. And he's got 6 or 7 inches on me.
  7. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

When we get back to taking private lessons (that's another story) DH wants to learn to follow WCS. He's 6'3"; I'm 5'7". I think it will be a challenge but we can make it work. But I would prefer to do this only in private lessons ... some of the leaders in our group class are enough shorter than I am that I sometimes have to bend my knees a fair amount. I can only imagine what would happen if one of those leaders tried to dance with DH!
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

certainly....as we have a height difference and managed to have a lovely time
    Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  9. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

I don't know what he's talking about. I think it's because he can't see where we're going that he doesn't realize everything that we run over.
  10. Mr 4 styles

table...chair... Inna and Artem...:eek:
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

As do I...looong arms for my height. Let's dance! :):D
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  12. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

In my experience, there's a point where the normal, "proper" frame starts to break down in standard. That point is, however, pretty extreme, and there are still things one can do to make the dance work. Assuming he'll be at Gumbo this year, I'll be interested to see whether or not Mr4S is taller than I am. There's a lady locally who's comfortably under 5 ft. Suffice it to say, while I *can* dance standard with her, we surely don't dance in a full-up body contact frame.

Alternately, consider the case of female pro-am instructors who dance with students who are juniors. The case I'm thinking of, it was lovely dancing, but it was a modified hold. (It was such a specific modified hold that it probably even has a name, but I wouldn't have any idea what to call it.)
  13. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

By the way, got american smooth it's own hold? I know this style only from watching YT: and some couples mimick the standard frame while others tend to something that is more upright or tending towards an argentinian embrace.
  14. Mr 4 styles

so do my pros and one of my former younger am partners she felt great in closed hold

it would be my honor someday
  15. Mr 4 styles

6 foot three wife 5 4 and 3/4

you bet ill be at gumbo but just smooth and latin this time see you there??
  16. Mr 4 styles

practice hold??
  17. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

You shall indeed. And you have to understand. I usually give my height as 6'2", but I've never actually met a 6'2" or 6'3" ballroom dancer that I wasn't taller than. I'm just curious if the pattern will hold. :)

I do feel your pain though. My old partner was 5'3" on a tall day. Oddly enough, while I can't imagine you'd have any recollection of me, you may actually remember her from Gumbo the year before last. There was a medical emergency, and she was the gal that basically acted as nurse to the MDs in the ballroom (she was a freshly graduated physical therapist assistant) until the paramedics arrived.
  18. Mr 4 styles

I was out of the ballroom at the time that happened but heard about it
  19. millitiz

millitiz Member

Maybe I am really bad, but for standard close connection, I basically can't dance with people more than 6 inches (without heels) shorter than I am. 8 inches...many many many figures will be out of the window. Although this is more on the competition side; the optimal height difference range is narrower than a social dance height difference range.
  20. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

I'm taller than most leads at my studio (I'm a little over 5'9" in my socks), and it has necessitated some adjustments. If they are more than 2 or so inches shorter in shoes finding a standard frame that feels secure is tough, and underarm turns in latin are a challenge. Do-able though!

I even notice it during my lessons. Pro is a bit shorter, and does a great job at adjusting the frame, but when I have to step through his feet in standard, I have to cut my stride a bit short. Not backward though, as his floor coverage is better than mine. He also occasionally has to remind me not to bend my knees so much (unconcious effort to match height on my part - not supposed to be developing this habit... supposed to just dance long and tall and stretched and not care that I'm a giant).

Actually, come to think of it, I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I've danced with someone taller than me, but it certainly hasn't made me stop dancing. Finding a competition partner, on the other hand, has been made a bit difficult by the whole height issue.