When does Height make a difference?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Chris Eaton, Apr 16, 2013.

?

Does a difference in Height make ANY difference

1. NO never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. YES sometimes

57.1%
  3. Only a VERY large difference

28.6%
  4. Only if the Follow is Taller than the Lead

14.3%
  5. Only for certain Dances

28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I can relate...my first pro was arguably an inch shorter than me when I was barefoot...adding heels, even with that small differential, made stepping through him a bit tricky...and I definitely put too much wear and tear on my knees staying low enough...a problem I almost never feel now...I also feel much less cramped now in both my frame and my stride...on the flip side, it was very easy to get up and over in closed hold back then :)

FancyFeet likes this.
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Well, you might not, but she might! ;)

3. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Ah, I'd assumed you were one of the MDs there. Well, that means I have no idea who you are! I'll look forward to remedying that this June! :)

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

LOL likewise

5. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

Height always makes a huge difference.
    Women love, Love,Love, LOVE men who are at the very least 3-4" taller than they are, with 6'2 being the desired minimum, so in uncontrolled social environments, such men will generally have a much easier time finding willing partners.
    In controlled/studio/competitive environments, where it is (allegedly) all about the technicalities of dancing, things can get a little awkward if the lady is much shorter, say a difference of more than a foot. If she's taller, there's a better chance of injury, such as an elbow to the nose when she turns. Large differences can also look a little odd to judging panels, like when he's 6'4 and she's barely 5'nothing - as seen in Russian pairs skating, ca. 1973.

6. Mr 4 styles

meh ...easier for the throw triple salchow

7. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

..on the dancefloor?

8. Mr 4 styles

it would be hard to glide out the landing......

opendoor likes this.
  9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yeah, but if she's much shorter, there's still chance of injury, such as elbow to...something a little more personal...when she turns.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

In 1973?

(The Russian pairs have pretty much ALWAYS been gorilla and flea, until the end of the Soviet era when the federation could no longer assign partnerships by force, which is how a lot of the most famous pairs men wound up in it even without wanting to--they were huge, therefore they were going to be pairs skaters. Or else.)

11. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

Haven't really seen too much of pairs since moving to the US, coverage of ice skating here is bare bones at best, they show the Americans and the winners - provided they win in a discipline in which Americans mighjt have a chance. Which excludes pairs, for the most part.
    The few Russian pairs I have seen in recent years looked a little more normal than they did 30-40 years ago when they looked like a frighteningly young dad (from New Mexico, perhaps?) skating with his freakishly tall 5-year old daughter.

12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Given Russia now can't really state-sponsor and they don't have the Red Army Club in Moscow run as a mini-dictatorship, their pairs are basically what they can get. Used to be the big guys skated pairs whether they wanted or not. The last real Soviet-system pair were Berezhnaya and Sikharudlize. But matched pairs can still work or at least adapt, though it's harder now as the tricks are bigger and instead of the Soviets, they're competing against the Chinese pairs. They go less for a big height mismatch than keeping the girls as rail-thin as possible.

Heh, US coverage of skating is Ladiezzz and sometimes men. It has nothing to do with whether Americans have a chance as there are about four or five ladies who'd have to break their legs before any American has a chance at the Olympic podium, and mens' is an even longer shot. The one discipline currently completely dominated by North America, ice dance, barely rates a mention. (And there, height is slightly less critical.)