When nothing goes right in a lesson

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DancerGA, Feb 3, 2005.

1. DancerGA

DancerGA New Member

What do you do when you feel like you can do nothing right in a lesson or string of lessons? How do you stay motivated and positive? I've recently had lessons where I've walked off the floor feeling like I should just give up. I don't want to be negative and I definitely don't want to feel like I've wasted lessons without achieving anything. Has this happened to anyone else and if so how do you stay focused and positive? I'm in bronze and holding.

2. dTas

dTas New Member

it sounds like what you are describing is a "plateau".

you're mind has learned enough for the time being and needs to digest the information it has learned. the body also needs to master the new commands the mind is giving it.

we all "plateau" for a while and then when the mind is ready, we begin learning again.

i could be WAY off but this is what it sounds like you are describing.

keep at it! it will pass.

3. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

What you are asking is how do you re-inspire yourself. Trust, me, you are learning, even if YOU can't see it. The things you are learning are melding into your body, and your unconscious, and will find open expression soon. Don't give up.

In the meantime, go find Dionysus. Watch a great movie. Read poetry. Listen to music. GO DANCING!! Maybe even try a dance form you aren't really familiar with, just for the adventure of trying something new. The hard work of learning art and craft of dancing can be VERY discouraging. Find a way to rconnect with the JOY. The technique will show itself. I promise. Scout's Honor.

Renee

4. heartgrl2k

heartgrl2k New Member

It's possible you might need a change to re-inspire you. You could try changing instructors or changing partners, even just temporarily. Sometimes a new take on something can open your eyes to new understanding when it wasn't there before. Don't take it too seriously either - it will come to you!

5. DancerGA

DancerGA New Member

Thanks to all! I'm sure you're right that I haven't stopped learning. It's just that I've been so excited about dancing and it's difficult to accept that I'm not moving ahead the way I want. I definitely have the desire. I'll stick with it until I get over the slump. Thanks for all the comments. It's given me something to think about.

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Good. :)

7. GalacticDancer44M

GalacticDancer44M New Member

I have felt this way too and I think part of the problem, is that I'm not practicing in between lessons so I'm rehashing some of the older lessons in my new lessons. It makes you a little frustrated because you're paying money for things you've already learned.

But, I've also started taking some group lessons at another studio and they're groups last 55 mins opposed to 25 mins at my regular studio. The extra time and also they're different teaching method is proving to be very helpful. They're showing me so much more. I'm feeling like I'm getting as much out of one of their groups as I was in the other studios private. They're both good, but I do think it's helped me in getting a different studio's approach to teaching. Just keep with it!

8. newbie

newbie Active Member

In competition dance there are ups and downs. One bad day or bad week is nothing. Consider the whole thing within a longer time period, say, one year. Did you win more first prizes this year than one year ago?
    Sure, if along the years the only change is that you went from junior bronze comps to veteran bronze comps without ever winning any prizes then you might consider giving up....

9. Asiatias

Asiatias New Member

You seem really motivated!

Have you tried Video lessons with your instructor? I have done them with my students when they hit a hurdle and it really made a big difference for them.

It gives you a chance to step back and look in from a differnt view. :wink:

10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Do you mean videotaping lessons, so you can watch and critique your own dancing? Or something else? 8)

11. ColinP

ColinP New Member

An old teacher of mine used to say that one of her main jobs was to help pupils through these phases. She said they happen to everyone. And ironically, they often occur when the pupil is making real progress. It can seem like you're going backwards, when in fact you're moving on and becoming aware of the next level of challenge.

....Colin

12. mr bixx

mr bixx Member

i get this feeling about once a month. its a horrible feeling. i've actually been on coaching wher i just walked off and quit and told them they were done for the day. and when i take coaching i hire them for an entire day to work with me. they still get paid i just cant handle it anymore. but a week later i'll be laying in bed and i will finally understand what they were talking about and i will be remotivated.

13. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That's what I've experienced, too, Colin. Just as you said, I think I'm moving backward because I'm becoming aware of the next level. That's the best sort of progress. It just feels distressing. :?

14. DancerGA

DancerGA New Member

You have all made me feel much better about my dancing. Just maybe there's a way around that brick wall I feel like I hit. I will go to my next lesson with more determination. Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions