Where do you practice?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Kit05, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Kit05

Kit05 New Member

Outside of social dances that is.

I just canceled my gym membership because I didn't go enough to justify the cost... although now, a part of my regrets it because it was the best place for me to practice. They have nice (mostly) private rooms with wood floors and mirrors on the wall that made for a perfect environment to practice in.

Now I'm trying to find a cheaper gym or just other options. I guess I should be able to use my apartment if I were to push the couches off towards the side but no mirrors and not as private as I have a roommate.
  2. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Some studios will let you come in and practice any time as long as there isn't a class and you paid for a lesson that week.
  3. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Our FADS studio allows students to use their floor to practice any time they are open. But most of the time I practice in my kitchen, which has a wood floor.
  4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I just practice at my st udio, as others here have mentioned.
  5. Kit05

Kit05 New Member

I'm not associated with any dance studios any longer. Even when I was, they still charged you a floor fee. I think it was $12-13 for every hour.

I guess until I figure it out, my apt will have to do. It does have wood floors (they're not smooth though, but they still work). I might also invest in a full length mirror. I should have anyways, haha.
  6. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

At the gym, although not for a while as whenever I go they have classes on... grrr...

Need to start going earlier at weekend so i can get a couple of hours in if I can drag myself out of bed first!
  7. lorenzof

lorenzof New Member

Office cafeteria and breakrooms after hours.
  8. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

in addition to the social dances during weekends we practice in our studio, they do not charge floor fee, also we are using local gym aerobic room, when there are no classes, we both members of the gym. we cannot practice at home because standard ballroom requires sufficient floor space, at least long enough for a half of the short line
  9. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Welcome Kit05 and Lorenzof! I do almost all my practicing at my dance studio. They have an open door policy, and students are free to come in and practice anytime. You just have to go with whatever music they are playing, but that's ok.
  10. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

iPod with headphones!
  11. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

The studio, which has 3 areas that can be used. The main floor, which is large and luxurious--and used for showcases and for dance parties. The entrance floor, not quite as large, but still expansive (where the group lessons are held). And a smaller back room.

There is no restriction about coming in, save for courtesy about not interfering with group lessons, nor other people who are having private lessons or are practicing themselves.
  12. style

style New Member

Since I am a builder, I removed a bedroom wall, and expended my kitchen, living room, and the removed bedroom floor into one space. Then I installed all real hard wood floors thoughout the room to give it that real dance floor feel. Also put some mirrors on the wall and got my own floor. Not big enough for standard dances other then working on figures that are short. But excellent for latin. The only problem is that all my dance partners all live one hour south of me, and they will not drive to my place to practice. Too far they say. Even though I make the trip south 2-3 times a week. To have a TALL dance partner close by that wanted to work hard would be priceless.
  13. Eliska

Eliska New Member

My partner has turned his apt into a little studio... it's not perfect but it works. Other than that we use the floor space at our studio. Shopping at the supermarket though is always a good place to practice. I often find myself doing rumba walks as I go ;)
  14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Ha ha! I've practiced Rumba Walks while pushing a shopping cart, too!
  15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

In my house. The dogs think I'm nuts and there are a couple slick spots on the vinyl tile in the living room, but until I have the money and time for Pergo or hardwood, it works. Back of my wingback chair works nicely as a barre, too.
  16. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I have 3 preferred practice areas. 1. Aerobics studio in my gym. 2. Studio where my teacher rents space 3. My living room. Each area has its pros and cons.
  17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I also practice sometimes in ballrooms that are open in one of our local hotels...
  18. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I built a dance floor in my house. I drive a long distance for lessons every week, and there isn't a dance studio nearby where I can practice on a regular basis. It's much easier to just wander onto my own floor any time I feel like working on something. It isn't big enough for much smooth or standard, but it's fine for latin and basic technique.

That said, I really end up practicing anywhere - the hallways at work, rumba walks through the kitchen while I'm talking on the phone, hip motion while I'm standing around waiting on people...it's all fair game!
  19. Kits

Kits New Member

I practice at the Dance studio and on my Apartment Patio. My Neighboors will sometimes walk by on their way getting the mail and they take double takes of me. :p
  20. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I love it, Kits!!! :banana: