Where do you practice?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Kit05, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Kits

Kits New Member

I Know its awesome. I dont care its like the saying "Dance Like no one is watching" :D

2. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I often have access to a beautiful hotel ballroom. It's great to have so much room to practice with, at full-throttle!

3. MultiFaceted Dancer

MultiFaceted Dancer Active Member

I Practice at the studios in front of the mirror by myself for the last 8 yrs and I practicing my dancing and my follow with all the dancers as well. Practicing by yourself gives you the oportunity to have clean footwork, work at your own pace, work on your own part -balance, controll, elements, style of dance, arm styling etc. Dancing with everyone gives me the ability to work on my dancing with different leads, patterns, and challenges my follow for leaders better than I am and leaders who are just learning. This has made me a much better dancer. Practice as much as possible whenever you can with whoever you can.

4. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

My studio charges for practice time unless I have a class that day. I practice before my lessons and my kitchen also has a wooden floor that I try to mark out routines on. It would be nice to have an official practice space in my home but the cost of mirrors and a floor is way too expensive!

5. MultiFaceted Dancer

I do believe studio owners should all be on the same page everywhere. If they believe in teaching than they should have a consistant open door policy for all students who frequent their studio who either take private lessons or group lessons to be able to practice at no charge for that month. The instructors will promote better dancers in the long run which will bring in new business for them when other students ask who taught them and it will make it less fustrating for the student who is trying to learn muscle memory(without mirrors you can't see for yourself your mistakes or how good or bad you look) and for the instructor who has to go over and over and over again the same material because it hasn't sunk in. The better the student feels about their dancing the more they want to learn. The more fustrating It is the less they want to continue. It would be in the studios best interest to keep their students from giving up and wanting thier friends to get involved than to nickle and dime the students beyond what they are capable of doing financially. The long run aspect is a little good will goes along way always has in business -the studios will make more money from the appreciating students than to charge them for every possible oportunity to learn.

6. CANI

CANI Active Member

I understand your post, and respect it, MultiFaceted Dancer. I have a different view. I think it makes perfect sense for studio owners to charge for floor time, or anything else, where their resources are being used (whether it be the slow wear and tear of a floor, the 'space' available, etc.). If someone can't afford something, as is proven time and time again on DF, there are numerous ways to practice and save money. I also think sometimes people respect things more, if they have to pay for them. I'm sure various studio owners set their policies based on what they think is right. In my experience -- allbeit limited -- it isn't related to nickle and diming students, but rather providing a fair service and expecting fair pay in return.

7. MultiFaceted Dancer

I also respect your opinion. What I have seen as well as speaking to alot of students here in a 150 mile or so radius in Sw Florida as well as what you are reading here at dance forum that the students are forced to go elsewhere because the studios are not accomodating the students. So they frequent many different studios to achieve thier goal of becoming better dancers and then they all meet at different locations ie resturants etc that do cater to the dancers to practice. They have decided that if they studios don't want to help the students become better dancers by allowing them to practice then they are forced to go elsewhere to where they can practice at no charge(some of the studios don't charge practice time). So here the studios lose out and are not favored well amongst the students . Without students you don't have a studio and if you only attract the beginners who don't know about the others you will not have either a well balanced studio nor will you have the reputation of wanting to teach without being money driven

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I too think an owner has a right to limit floor acces for a variety of reasons...first of all ...a determined dancer WILL find a way to practice regardless...and can't use lack of access as an excuse.....I practiced on an asphalt driveway in jazz sneakers, in a hotel laundry room, at the gym, in university co-recs, in my garage, on a ship....

but I have also seen people who are bored and have no life abuse free floor time by simply hanging out...practicing maybe an hour but sitting there for three...they disrupt other people who are really there to practice...use what they see there as gossip fodder later, take up floor space needed by people actually on paid lessons, etc...studio owners have a right to make decisions that they feel are best for the dynamic of their studio...

9. MultiFaceted Dancer

Well thats another opinion.But --Here the studio's are more Empty of Students than having that Problem. Just because studio owners think they are right doesn't make them right. Lot's of studios here in Sw Florida have closed and some are some still on the verge of closing due to not listening to students and thier financial issues of not having enough students but standing on grounds of what they feel is right and how they use to run their business- say 10 and 20 yrs ago compared to how things are now. It would behoove people to remember there hasn't been an economy shift like this in over 30 yrs and since life has changed so does the mind set of all business owners no- matter what business they are in. We also have more oportunities to have access to better instructors than ever before since they are more seasoned around this area giving us more choices. Studio's are a customer service oriented profession and with the amount of studio's that have closed,people are not as trusting as they use to be. Again a little good will goes a long way. Look at the medical profession when you get a bill from the hospital for $10.00 aspirin or box of tissues. How mad does that make people and resentful or when a dental office charges you for osha required material or any other extra item they feel they can charge for----nickle and diming you. Since I have been a manager of dental offices for 21 yrs up north and down here,I can attest to how many people resent and leave those offices for just that reason alone-being nickled and dimed. The impression is the busier a studio appears to be the more successful it is -the more you want to be there. So if a bunch of people are there practicing it will look busy and it will attract more people than a large floor empty.

10. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I think it can vary so much from studio to studio. I, for one, love the open door policy of our studio to practice whenever you want. This does not seem to be abused, and--as MultiFaceted Dancer points out--it keeps the place vibrant and exciting. Of course, I do see where the ownership has the right to set their rules as they see fit. I am just ecstatic that our studio has so much going for it, including having lots and lots of space to practice outside of lesson and coaching time!

11. MultiFaceted Dancer

It will be very interesting to see if others will write in and what they have to say. Hopefully they won't be concerned about the reprocussions of telling how they really feel truthfully and not be bending to the politics that keeps their opinions to themselves or voices them to others who don't care about reprocussions. Since RS has an open door policy she seems very happy where she is -as it should be.

12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

MultiFaceted Dancer, :) I know that it might be hard to tell (from user ID's and other things), but RS is a "he"... Cheers... :cheers: Sometimes I get thrown off by other people's user ID's, too...

And good thoughts, and you make a lot of good points. Everyone has a different take, based upon their own situation--and I see a lot of sides to this. Given all that, among one of the things that I love about our very nice studio is its "open door" policy to use the floor to practice with. Add to that its lack of contracts and lock-ins to big blocks of lessons--and it's close to incomparable... :)

13. fascination

don't get me wrong...my statement has nothing to do with politics...I have always been at studios that are very open and flexible...I just happen to see the down-side of that...and regardless of your valid points MFD, the fact remains that it is the owner's call to make...it is their studio, their financial security, their mistake to make.....

14. MultiFaceted Dancer

It may be thier mistake to make but the Dancers who have worked hard are the ones that are suffering and the new beginners will then not have the opportunity to receive great lessons from seasoned professionals because of their willingness not to change thier mind set Usually people will stay in dance indefinitely once they get over the initial uncomfortableness of learning the first phases of the dances. Those beginners should be given every encouragement by fellow dancers as well as instructors to practice as much as possible Muscle memory doesn't happen overnight and I see dancers leaving right after either their private lesson or group lesson without practicing for several reasons. One being they don't want to look stupid, another reason they are not encouraged to do so in fact -most instructors frown on doing so --afraid they will practice it wrong -so when they come to lesson again they don't remember anything at all. What is the lessor of two evils not remembering at all or practicing and remembering some. I vote for practicing and remembering some. Besides usually an older more advanced dancer will be there practicing who is willing to help another student out to fixing an easy issue. Then there are the students who think that their instructors should be the ones that practices thier students dancing for them. Just like a parent who does most of thier kids homework for them so they can get an A. Instead of thier real grade maybe a C. Maybe when we all see students we should encourage them but when studio owners don't see the long term benefits of trying out different points of view it's ultimately the students who suffer. Then Why did the studio owners/instructors bother to work so hard to learn thier own dancing and to work so hard to learn to teach if they don't want to pass on this info to their students so that one day they could retire and can look out amongst the new generation of dancers and realize that they are products of themselves. I Thought that Dancing was a Love of the Art. Letting all students practice without charging hour by hour fee will allow the students to be a better dancer and a good reflection of the studio and it's instructors.

15. MultiFaceted Dancer

Sorry RS for the mistake in gender. Thanks for fixing

16. Kits

Kits New Member

I am sorry but I really disagree. I haven't read the other posts but this one just had me. I grew up in a poor environment. My parents went through a separation and all I wanted to do when I was little was dance but I couldn't because of my parents pouring their money into other things and not paying attention to what was important to me. I wanted to be a dance prodigy-and I wont lie I do envy those young girls who dance gracefully on the dance floor. I wanted to be like that. Money has always been that enemy to me. Now I am older and have my own paying job that I work hard at just so I can dance. This is something really really special to me. I don't make enough money as other people I know. So if they started to charge for dance floor practice times and group lessons and anything else that is now complimentary I feel like they are taking a way a chance for a confident and ambitious dancer to be born.

17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

MultiFaceted Dancer, No worries, Sweetie!

18. MultiFaceted Dancer

Thank you!

19. fascination

I know many world class dancers who grew up dirt poor and had practice space the size of my walk-in closet and found a way...

just saying, regardless of all of the very good points, every studio owner is not obliged to have a philanthropic perspective on things....a determined dancer will find 10 bucks for the floor fee or go to the gym....or practice in their garage, or whatever it takes....studio owners did not take an oath that, while trying to pay their bills, they were also going to have an open door policy...is it unfortunate?, yes.....is it a bummer for folks who will have to find another way? yes.....is it a horrible mean awful stupid unfair thing?...no....

my house, my rules...your house, your rules..

while I would be inclined to have a fairly open policy (imv equal practice time free for same amount of lessons per week), I respect that people have to make their own decisions...i do not live in their head or their wallet, nor do I possess all of the information about their business that they possess, so I think it would be very presumptuous of me to think that I have a better take on someone else's business decisions than they do...even if I was that presumptuous, logic dictates that I can share that opinion with them once and after that I am simply howling at the moon...I appreciate that we may just have to agree to disagree...just my two cents

20. Kits

Kits New Member

whatever I am just lucky that my studio doesn't charge.