Where do you practice?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Kit05, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

at our studio. it's got lots of space.

it also has people to practice with!
  2. Kits

Kits New Member

soon when I move its going to be the indoor basketball court.
  3. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

Kits very cool! And nice to meet you! I'm new!
  4. Kits

Kits New Member

Hey Amanda! Nice to meet you too :) Hope you enjoy your stay here!
  5. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

I am! Thanks! Before bedtime, I'm just cruising around the many interesting threads! :)
  6. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I'm going to piggyback on this thread, but maybe it deserves its own. If so, mods, feel free to break this off. It's about sharing practice space.

When I practice in the gym's aerobics studio, I sometimes run into other gym members who want to do same thing. Or they want to do free weights in front of the mirror. The gym policy is that when there is no aerobics class going on, any member can use the room, and share it (you can't book it exclusively). I talked to them about practicing there and the management was very supportive. Everyone I've met there has been very nice about sharing - but this one guy is weird. He seems to want exclusive usage of it when he is there. For example, I was practicing there on a day when there are no afternoon group classes, and he asked me when I was going to be done (there was slightly over an hour left till the closing time, so obviously I'd have to be done within an hour). And the other day, I just started practicing after the group class, and he saw me and went to a raquetball court instead of sharing it (I hope he doesn't expect me to do same thing if he got there first). Mind it, we are not talking about a postage stamp size room, it's at least 40x40 (its side is slightly bigger than the short wall on a typical competition floor). And I saw him dance, he does AT and he doesn't move much. And even though I move more than he does, I am quite capable to keep it to my portion of a 40x40 room. I strongly suspect that he is teaching rather than just practicing - he taught a group class on AT at a belly dance place in town, and the few times I've seen him dancing at our gym, he was with different women, and when they were in raquetball court (which resembles a fishbowl when it comes to transparency), it appeared that he was explaining something to her. The reason he'd be doing it (if he does) would be to save on the floor fee ($15-$17 an hour here) - as a gym member he can bring in guests for free.

So anyway, I am not sure what to do, or do anything at all. He comes to socials at our ballroom studio sometimes. Should I talk to him next time I meet him there and explain to him that I do not mind sharing at all? Or wait till we have a situation when I have to ask him if he is OK with sharing (meaning that I got to the aerobics room and found that he is already using it)?
  7. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I'd just wait for a time when he comes in after you, and if/when he says something, say, "Oh, I don't mind sharing, come on in." If you get there after him, and ask him if he minds sharing, you risk him saying that he does mind.
    Is the gym aware he's teaching? They might not mind him using the room, or bringing a guest, but they may very well mind him using the floor for profit. Not sure, but it could actually cause them to have some liability/insurance issues.
  8. tanya_the_dancer

I've already done it a couple of times (told him that he is welcome to share it), and he seemed not very pleased with the idea. Last time he didn't even ask and headed for the raquetball court (although I think he would have shared if all three raquetball courts were taken).

I don't think the gym is aware that he is teaching. And it's still only my guess at this point, although I am 90% sure of it. Given how his quality compares to other teachers in town, I can see why he would try to find a way to not pay a floor fee and thus be able to lower his price.

The gym did let my previous teacher rent aerobics room for teaching in the past, when he was fired from his studio job, but he arranged it officially with them and they did charge him a floor fee of $20, even though he was a member, as well as some of his clients (and even with the floor fee, he couldn't use the room exclusively, other members were allowed to share it).
  9. littleleers

littleleers New Member

Hi, I am a new member here and am enjoying reading all of the posts. "Tanya The Dancer", your post caught my eye. I, too practice at my gym club's aerobic exercise room and like yours, it is quite large. "Most" people ar really polite.

It is funny how some people become territorial at the gym, but usually it was with the circuit training equipment. You know, of course, that you have every right to be in your space as much as the "instructor" dude. I am sure you do not feel intimidated,but I also think you are being way too nice. You have your space and he has his. If he doesn't like it, then he can pay a studio fee elsewhere. The aerobics room is for everyone to share, except when an official class is being held.

I am extremely polite to anyone who comes in after me to exercise, work out, dance, etc. Never had much of a problem, except for one guy who came in last week and blasted some music and then positioned himself dead center of the aerobics floor (weird). I guess he felt it was "his" space for that hour.

Anyways, my attitude with that guy....is don't retreat! Get into your "zone" and keep having fun.
  10. tanya_the_dancer

I practice before a yoga class sometimes and I found that yoga goers tend to be territorial about placing their mats (so the days when I am there before a yoga class are my rhythm/latin days, since there is a lot more stationary things I can do there). I even overheard one lady telling her buddies as I was getting out of the gym "I just got here, so I couldn't get our usual spots, sorry". But other than that, they are quite nice.
  11. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

I like your approach. :)

Welcome to Dance Forums, littleleers!
  12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

When I see a long corridor when no one is around, nice and smooth, it beckons for practice.
  13. Mr.Atari

Mr.Atari New Member

I'm glad there are more people here who train at a gym, because we do too. I'm working at a school and I can use the gym after working hours.

When I telll others I use the gym for dancing they look at me as if I'm crazy or something... But it works out really well, although the floor isn't wood.
  14. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Ditto! Well, used to practice at a gym...

Welcome to Dance Forums, Mr.Atari. :)
  15. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

/rant
    Ohhh, the mat ladies. I practice on the aerobics room floor before a group class, or in the yoga room, and the ladies have to come in and lay down their mats and arrange their stations for their class -- sometimes as much as 45 minutes before the class starts. They're territorial beyond belief, and not always nice about it (this particular gym has a culture of gossipy pettiness you wouldn't believe). We've come to a kind of detente, but once three mats are down, I leave, no matter what time or how long I've been practicing. It's too hard to move around them, and I once hit someone's station and fell. Took the hint and moved to the yoga room -- and the mat ladies were there, too. I guess they're just so insecure about their Own Space that they have to stake it out well in advance. Part of the New York culture: me first, claiming your space, elbowing other people out of the way.

/endrant
  16. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

I wish my gym would get the stereo equipment locked up already, so that they can open the dance rooms to people. Right now they can only be used by classes. The gym has been open since January, and it's not like putting a case over the stereo would be hard, so it's clearly not top priority. sigh. That room would be so perfect for practice.
  17. CANI

CANI Active Member

Don't know if it will help, ash_sk8s, but if you haven't done so already, try to find the head person responsible for the room and explain what you are looking to do and ask if there is any way to make it work. I was at a gym for a period of time that had explicit signs and policies that the dance studios were not to be used except when a teacher was present. I found out the head of the department, explained what I was doing, what shoes I was using, promised I wouldn't touch the equipment, and explained that I wanted to practice in the mornings (from 5am - 6am or 6:30am) and she made an exception for me.

I've also practiced at another gym where the perfect room was locked until the first class at 9am -- I just asked -- they agreed to open it for me each morning.

Sometimes asking the right person, in person, helps. People want to be helpful. Good luck!
  18. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

Yeah a friend of mine who works at the gym said I could try asking really nicely, but she wouldn't count on it.

However, as I was deciding to look at other gyms and see how much day passes are, it dawned on me that most gyms offer trial memberships! So I now have a 2-week membership to 24 Hour Fitness and a 1-week membership to LA Fitness, so I can go practice there to prepare for competition in exactly 3 weeks. :)
  19. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

If I had a partner I would practice at my studio (practice floor time is free for studio members) or at my gym, where there are two beautifully floored workout rooms that stand empty much of the time. Since I don't have a partner I can't do that much, although I have practiced my turns at the gym. Mostly I just practice in my kitchen.
  20. Laurie

Laurie New Member

I like the studio best of all