Where should I place my hands?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ronalds, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i love it!!!!!!!! my pro and my wife do it with such intent and dont affect my physics at all

2. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

This is... frankly a little disgusting.

If you want to "venture," do it off the dance floor. When you dance with someone, they're giving you permission to touch certain, very well defined parts of their body in order to dance together. Don't abuse that permission.

You shouldn't need to use dancing as an excuse to touch someone or flirt with someone, if they want to be touched or flirted with.

3. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

Actualy, I made that comment tongue in cheek, but you sure are a sensitive old soul. I just can't believe that you took that comment seriously. But hey, if that comment got under your skin-so be it.

4. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

"Hey, I was only joking" and "don't be so sensitive" are quite popular among the types who grope, too. Think on that.

melodypond, bia, Mr 4 styles and 2 others like this.
  5. vit

vit Active Member

Well, as I said, I suppose this also depends on the level of competition (I'm not a judge so I don't know the details). Gentleman that told me what they are looking for was, for instance, one among judges on WDC world professional ballroom in Blackpool a week ago. I can imagine that they really don't need to check how world's top class dancers are using their feet, because those dancers would never be there if there were any problems in that area. And also, if I were a visitor on that competition, I surely wouldn't be looking for their feet usage - I would be looking for their beautiful general performance

As about "club salsa", there is a big range of dancing skills of salsa dancers, depending also on the particular venue. Yes, most of the people are there just for fun, I actually wasn't talking about them, but about those who are way above bronze-gold level, because some of them were at that level at age of 10, several years later they were national champions in their category and now they are dancing salsa ... and not only latin or standard dancers, sometimes you can find top class dancers from many other dance genres, I know some of them which started dancing balet at age of 4 and danced many genres ... and you can find people that are just very talented and can somehow do things you wouldn't expect from them ... with some luck you can even dance with them and start looking into a world of dance from slightly different angle, as was the case with me ... it's also interesting that people who always have most problems learning salsa are those who were dancing social ballroom previously, including some of their teachers ... don't know why, but that's how it is in my venue

6. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I've seen judges watching feet very intently in the professional final at Blackpool - the feet in question being less than clear. For a clear footwork error, they won't need to watch the feet, because they'll be able to see the results of that error in the movement of the body.

vit and danceronice like this.
  7. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

This reminds me of how my pro and I first did any kind of hand to his chest type step. In fact, I remember once we were rehearsing some choreography and the hand-chest part came around. One time I skipped it all together and the next time I sort of skimmed the surface of the chest in a half-hearted gesture, more to just mark it. He actually stopped us, grabbed my hand, brought it to his chest, pressed it into him, and said "See, what are you afraid of". So needless to say, if you aren't familiar with a particular partner, unless both are decently high level dancers, I would err on the side of caution. If some of us ladies were/are a bit uncomfortable doing this with our pros, how much more uncomfortable would we be with a stranger? In fact, I would tend to be more comfortable with a stranger putting his hands on my hips or lower back, etc. (in a dance way not a creepy way) than placing my hands on him. Not sure why, just would feel awkward.

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

right, while I am now completely comfortable with that in the case of my pro, I would not do it socially

9. vit

vit Active Member

Of course judges are different and of course they won't miss some obvious footwork error, whether observing resulting movement of observing it with peripheral vision or even directly ... however in the case of those in the final, there would be also a question was it his error or the floor wasn't perfect at that place, because those people are not expected to be making beginner's errors

Anyway, that wasn't my point and it was off-topic ... my point was that there are many dancers out there that would use their hands creatively in latin or salsa without making footwork errors because it's the part of their dance and it would look like their natural reactions - even in the case it was actually a move they were doing in their choreography for long time so it actually became their natural reaction, and if they feel comfortable with the partner who can be a total stranger, they will do it. And some girls will do it even if they never danced that move - happened to me many times - if you lead/pull someone closer to you than usual (like in alemana, sliding doors, hip twist, cuban rock), it's natural that she puts the hand on you to help stopping herself or something like that - it doesn't need to be a kind of sexy thing, it can be done various ways

10. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight...is the OP asking what would be an acceptable way of groping his dance partner on the dance floor in front of a bunch of people, hopefully as a precursor to hooking up? Seriously?

Gorme, danceronice and Bailamosdance like this.
  11. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I won't try to read the OP's mind on that... the question itself is legitimate: "What else can be done with hand-holds and hand position to emphasize a certain aspect (e.g., sexiness) of a dance?" He probably didn't find the answer very satisfactory, which is that in true partner dancing, as opposed to just two dancers doing choreo together, there are practical limits related to maintaining the connection and communicating the leads. That's in addition to the obvious social prohibitions against certain hand placements.

12. Lyra

Lyra Active Member

In a social dance context, if you do not know the lady or do not know her very well, you put your hands where it is necessary and appropriate for the requirements of the dance. End of. Do anything different with me and you will not only be top of my "leads I would not dance with if they were the last man left on earth" list, you may also have a sore face.

In any case you're not going to get that elusive "spark" just by dancing with someone. The spark comes off the dance floor and excellent manners and a good sense of humour will get you a lot further.

Oh, and remember that Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey were acting. Doesn't work like that in real life.

twnkltoz likes this.
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

be a sexy person...the rest is just incidental

cornutt and Lyra like this.