Which cars are "sexy" and why?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DWise1, Dec 21, 2006.

1. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

A female friend who's been bugging me to start dating again (she has no interest in me herself, but she seemed to imply that she has some prospects lined up for me) and she tried to offer some personal advice for me. As usual, she wanted me to redo my wardrobe -- I'm too conservative for her taste, dockers and polo shirts.

But this time she also suggested that when I buy a new car, I buy a SUV instead of another Saturn. I've asked why an SUV, but have gotten no answer.

So, ladies, is there something about a guy in an SUV? And why? What is the certain something?

Or is there some other kind of car that does it for you'all? And, of course, why?

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Dunno about an SUV. Don't know that I'd think much about a guy's car, unless it was an extreme one way or another. I think if you had a good reason for buying whatever, or at least could make it sound good, that'd be fine.

But a particular car that does it for me? Of late I'm liking the Audi TT, 'Vettes are always nice, the Pontiac Solstice and the Saturn...thingy...are pretty sweet. Pretty much any 2-door, 2-seater, convertible is good. As for the why--because they're completely and utterly impractical, which means they're purely for pleasure.

But if it's not you, then don't bother. We'd much prefer a man who was comfortable and confident in his own skin, instead of trying to look or act a part he's not. Unless you want to use this as a kick in the butt, or an excuse, to do what you've always wanted. Then, go for it.

3. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Bimmers, any kind except the 7 series, are cute and sexy at the same time. Nissan 350Z, which my husband announced will be his next car, is a very cool, sexy car. The Jag is sexy in a powerful way.

But like Peaches said, you need a car that you can afford and are comfortable in - none of us like pretenders. When I met my husband he was driving an old beat up Honda Accord (it must have had over 100,000 miles on it and was easily over a decade old) and it didn't matter one bit because he was also genuine, insanely hot (to me at least), took care of himself and was self-confident. Ultimately, it's not the wheels, it's who the person inside the car is or aspires to be...

Oh, and SUVs do nothing for me either:)

4. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

Yes, I agree. I personally don't care about cars unless they are dirty so you're clothes get dirty or if it smells stale smoke. But I know some women do care about cars. They sort of evaluate your achievement (career-wise) based on what you have. Also depends on what kind of woman you want.

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

If you're secretly an unfulfilled SUV guy, then go for it. Otherwise, my advice is to stick with a car that's "you", whatever that is.

When the time comes, you'll no doubt be wantin a lady that wants you for you, right? :) If she wanted the kind of guy who drove SUVs, she'd be goin out with one.

What's so bad about a Saturn, anyway, as long as it's clean & well-maintained.
    :)

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

cars are not sexy...hot men in nice cars are sexy

7. noobster

noobster New Member

SUVs anger me. They are an incredible waste of fuel, they crush smaller cars in accidents, and if you have the bad luck to be stuck behind one when your exit comes you are SOL as it is impossible to see over them. And to top it off, most of the ones I see on the road only have one driver in them. In most cases there is just no reason to have them.

I hate to be petty, but I actually do slightly hold it against someone if he owns an SUV (and does not have six kids or some other good reason to need such a monster).

8. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Cars in OC

I agree! It says to me "I am a selfish jerk who doesn't care about the environment or the problems I create by using a ton of gas, much less whether you can see."

I also agree with pretty much eveything everyone else has said.
    1. Be yourself!
    2. I know OC and LA are Car Land, where cars recieve undue importance, like "you are your car." Not.
    3. Still, porsches are sexy, can't help it! They just are.:)
    :car:

9. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

How about a '92 Lumina that no one wants to steal??? Lol... yep that's my car. Unfortunately nothing will happen to it for me to buy a new one lol. So, I'm not to picky about guys and their cars as long as they are not picky about my car!!! ;)

10. Anna

Anna New Member

hybrids!
    smart cars!
    [​IMG]

11. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Hey, my ex drives an SUV. Boy, do you have her pegged!

[basking in the glow for a moment]

The only reason I can see for her owning one is that she's compensating. 5'0".

[leaving that guilty pleasure behind]

Before the divorce, I had had to drive her SUV a couple times and I did not feel comfortable. And when I go out to buy clothes or furniture or a car or anything for myself, I want to get something that I'll be comfortable with. When I replace my Saturn ('99, 105,000 miles, still going strong), I'll probably get about the same size car.

I think that my friend was recommending an SUV because that's what she likes. She also likes the outdoorsy cowboy types (I remember how her face just lit up when we were in Swallows Inn the weekend that a rodeo was in town). Now that type of guy would have more of a need for an SUV or a pickup truck.

Me, I'm like the guy that those Australian surfer girls were talking about in "The Story of English": conquering the great indoors.

12. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

About the Dockers, though, Dockers are not sexy.
    Get thee to Nordstrom Rack after the Holidaze.

(N. Rack is the discount store for Nordstrom, fear not.)

13. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Understood. I'm not worried about sexy right now, but I'll keep that advice in mind when I'm ready in a few years or so. And I'll have to take a female friend along to consult, since I never could understand fashion.

The other night at our WCS venue, one friend started talking with another woman about men's trousers and how important it is how they fit and hang and move when they dance. Of course, I couldn't tell on me, so maybe I can talk her into tagging along and offering her advice.

14. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol:!!! This photo reminds me, not that I need much reminding(!) of a recent movie called A Fine Day (I think it was called). It starred Russell Crowe, playing a very macho financial trader in London. I think he was the head of a very successful team and his character was displaying all the stereotypical traits and egoisms of a very successful trader. His uncle, who he hadn't seen for about 10 years passed away and left him his vineyard in France. Russell Crowe had to go over to sort out the sale of the vineyard and his PA organised a hire car for him. When he went to collect the car at the airport, it was a bright yellow Smart car! The expression on his face (he was acting I know) was just priceless and we then saw him whizzing through the French countryside in this bright yellow car. Whether it was the soundtrack or the pace of the film, but it reminded me of a bee.

I may be sterotyping here, but most, if not all traders, would not be seen dead in a Smart car - not good for their image. However, I think this bright yellow Smart car made Russell Crowe's character very sexy! :D

15. Corne

Corne New Member

The movie was actually called ' A good year '

16. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Yep! That's the one! :lol:

(Either, I am having a really Good Year myself, or, have started enjoying the holiday season already ;))

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

hmmm. not to pee on your SUV-bashing parade, but i happen to drive a 4-cyl SUV that gets the same mileage that my Camry did. and fwiw, i know i am hardly a selfish jerk.

even re 6-cyl SUVs... there are much larger, gas-guzzling non-SUV vehicles out there that are much more wasteful.

things aren't so easily black-&-white

18. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

For the record, I just don't like driving an SUV. If I had kids and/or others to transport or else had to pack gear, then it would make sense to get one. But it's just me and all I need is to get to and from work, the grocery store, and dance classes. I don't need an SUV for that and I know from driving trucks and vans that it's harder to maneuver through heavy traffic and to park in tight spaces. Though it is nice to be able to see farther down to road to find out why the traffic is backed up so bad.

19. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

. . . BMW M5 . . . bold looks, switches gears with a touch of its stick, quick to the finish line, and stops very quickly.

None of which I am, so I guess it's an inadequacy thing for me as to why I like them!

20. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

A Dallara. Especially one with Sarah Fisher in it. :mrgreen: