Which cars are "sexy" and why?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DWise1, Dec 21, 2006.

1. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

:oops:Sorry, Samina! Of course, when one generalizes, one is wrong!!
    Didn't realize that SUVs could get good gas mileage.

And I am quite sure you're not a selfish jerk!! You're a bright, funny, witty addition to this forum, and if i haven't told you before, I appreciate you!!:D
  2. Not only that, when you're trying to make a right turn at an intersection and one SUV pulls up next to you on your left blocking your view, you can forget about the turn until your light turns green. Bastard! :mad:
  3. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

Anyone who drives a truck based SUV to me is someone who has traded off their own and their passengers safety for other features.

So unless that trade-off is clear (eg, some wants AWD to drive to skiing often etc), I'd be inclined to wonder...
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

well, thank you very much, chachakitty! :) and no sweat about the SUV thing... if you only knew how many glib generalizations escape my own mouth... <g>

i appreciate your appreciation, and you're appreciated back! ;)
  5. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

To me the sexist car is a Jaguar... XJS I think it is?? One of the older models.
  6. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I thought it was supposed to be like with cars: it depends on the guy in them.

We got a pair of slacks from Nordstroms once. They wore out in no time at all, just from wearing them to work in the office. So I tend to cringe when the N-word is mentioned, not because of the prices but because of the low quality of the products.
  7. new-ish

new-ish New Member

For clothes, a friend (with excellent taste) helped me out a long time ago and it was alot of money back then, but now it's pretty much replacement of things that wear out.

For cars, I noticed the last time I had to rent a car at a major airport, that they had some nice special cars in their lot. You could try weekend rentals of a few nice cars. See how they feel and how they make you feel.

My special purpose car is an Infiniti G35. Not too pricey, but ladies tell me it's nice.
  8. dgcasey

dgcasey New Member

And your average BMW has a bigger engine than my SUV. And any Mercedes with a V-8 engine. Or any car with a V-8 engine for that matter. Where's your indignation about those cars?

Accidents that are caused just as often by the person driving the smaller car as by the person driving the SUV.

So, you're a tailgater that follows too close behind a vehicle to be able to see around it. You must really get upset if you happen to pull in behind a semi-truck and can't see around it.

A fact that you would notice about 90% of all cars on the road, not just the SUVs. So noob, if I see you driving down the road in your car, all by your lonesome, can I get irritated at you?

No you don't.

What if they have five kids? Is six the magic number to avoid your wrath?

I've heard the same numbers you've heard about accidents and SUVs, "in an accident with fatalities between an SUV and a smaller car, the fatalities are eight times more likely to be in the car." Now, being the logical, intelligent person that I am, that tells me that I wanted my wife (ex now) and my TWO kids in the bigger vehicle. I would have bought her an SUV to drive if she wanted one, but she was quite content with her minivan. And I wouldn't have cared if I only had one kid. If she would have wanted an SUV, she would have gotten one.

I just love it when people will make judgments about others, simply based on something as idiotic as what kind of car do they drive. Of course, if it fuels their superiority complex and their righteous indignation, well, who am I to stop them.
  9. noobster

noobster New Member

Those stink too, but this thread is about SUVs. In general I think it is inappropriate to waste gas for the sake of a status symbol.

What's that to do with anything?

That's annoying too, but it doesn't happen nearly as often, and there is a legitimate reason for a semi to be that big as you can't haul four tons of eggs in a compact.

Point is not that people sometimes need to drive alone, but that an SUV is too much car for the job. It is a waste of fuel to power an SUV when a compact would fulfil the same function.

I don't own a car. But thanks for playing.

No, five is okay. A couple with five kids could legitimately need an SUV to move their family around. Again, the question is: Do you need it? Is there a specific purpose for which you need this car, such that it is worth the environmental and safety costs it brings?

Well, this thread was started specifically to ask what people thought about SUVs and others who drove them. Presumably the OP was interested in all kinds of opinions, not just positive ones. If he just wanted reinforcement for the SUV drivers of the world, he should have said that. As it is it seems he is OK with the variety of answers he got.

I would never have offered this opinion if it hadn't been asked for. Why does it offend you that I have an environmentally conscious opinion? I think it's funny that you want to tear into me for my opinion but you haven't actually answered the essential points of SUVs being a waste of fuel and a danger to other drivers. Samina noted that her SUV gets the same mileage as her Camry got, which is nice to know and an interesting addition to the discussion. You're just ranting.
  10. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Dgcasey and Noobster, do correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this thread was about
    Please get back on track, and Happy New Year to the both of you.

Pacion
  11. dgcasey

dgcasey New Member

No noob, I tore into your opinion. If I had torn into you then I would have been out of line. As for answering the "essential points," I think I did that rather nicely, point by point, in a logical fashion. The fact that you decided to gloss over a couple of those points or ignored them altogether doesn't change the fact that they were answered. Yes, Samina's SUV gets the same or better gas mileage than her Camry, as does mine, or a very large percentage of the SUVs on the road. So gas mileage is kind of a moot point.

Anyway, I shall retire from this thread as there is nothing more to be said. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and keep on dancing. And be safe tomorrow night.