Which is harder: Latin or Standard?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by LenaB, Jan 18, 2011.

1. LenaB

LenaB New Member

I apologize if there is already a thread on this. I have heard many people say that Standard is more difficult than Latin because it requires more discipline, and there's less room for error. However, I have heard that Latin is more difficult than Standard because of speed, timing, etc.

What do you guys think? Can a Latin dancer dance Standard equally as well? Or vice versa? In the battle of dances, which dance discipline is more difficult?

2. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

For me, Latin is harder. Standard just comes more naturally to me. I don't expect the same answer across the board though.

3. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

I think Standard is harder. In Latin, you have room for individuality and error. In standard, you have to dance as 1 person with your partner, holding frames and so on.

4. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

+1 (I agree)

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think it depends upon the person. I find standard to be the hardest of all four styles but I know others who feel differently....

6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Depends on the person, like any other physical skill. For some, Standard is easier. For others, Latin. For me, Latin is much, much easier. It's not EASY, but it's easier than Standard. Possibly related to having done ice dance, where you have to be able to stand on your own feet, so to speak, as with Latin where you have to dance alone, while Standard requires giving up a lot to a joint center of gravity. It all depends on how your individual brain and body work.

7. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I find standard easier. Actually, when I first started, I did just american style, and I felt intimidated by rhythm dances, especially faster ones, because of the speed of the music.

8. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I think standard is more difficult. This is why top standard dancers still need to work on their basics, where top latin dancers generally have solid basics and can build up from there.

Really good dancers in either style may be able to do the other style, but not as well as they do their own style. Among other things, the optimal muscle development seems to be different.

9. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Here are 2 e.g. of Pros who both were Champs in both div... Irvines and Hiltons .

10. drejenpha

drejenpha Member

I have issues with my posture/footwork/balance in latin so I find standard easier. I probably would have found Latin easier if I'd liked it more to begin with and worked on it more over the course.

11. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a latin dancer at any level that wasn't still trying to improve and perfect his/her rumba walks.

12. fascination

agree...in fact I think that is about the silliest thing I have ever heard

13. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

I don't think it is a fair comparison either way.

I've danced all 4 styles and pushed on both Modern and Latin.

The hard part is finding comparison categories (speed, precision, movement) that are comparable between the two styles.

m

14. fascination

they are different beasts...difficult for different reasons...sublime for different reasons

15. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

It depends on, but for me I felt standard was easier at least I started.

16. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

I think the style you love less will be more difficult.

17. loftycat

loftycat New Member

I love samba and it still kicks my butt...

I also once thought that I wouldn't get much of a workout from standard and boy was I wrong. If one style is harder than the other, I honestly wouldn't be able to pick one; all I know is I love them both.

18. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

At least in my case, I find this to be true as well. But as we see by the posts so far, this is not the same for everyone... :)

19. Mengu

Mengu Active Member

I have 4 answers to this question.

1. They're both difficult for me. Latin is difficult because I know less. Standard is difficult because I know more.

2. They're both easy for me. Latin is easy because ignorance is bliss. Standard is easy because knowledge brings confidence and confidence brings ease.

3. Latin is easier than standard because I'm not afraid of being sloppy since I don't have a stake in it. Standard is harder because I want to look and feel good doing it.

4. Standard is easier because it comes more naturally to me, and I have a lot of practice. Latin is harder because my body is just not used to it.

I think that covers the spectrum.

20. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yep! Very well said, and quite cleverly. I think the way you described this can cover quite a few other things in life! :cheers: