Which is harder: Latin or Standard?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by LenaB, Jan 18, 2011.

1. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Precisely.

IMO, you haven't gotten a straight answer, and you most likely won't, because there isn't one.
  2. Akita

Akita Active Member

Every 10-dance champion I've posed this question to had the same answer: Standard is harder.
  3. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Couldn't that just potentially mean that people with an inclination toward Latin are more likely to do 10-dance?
    What happens if you ask a Standard competitor this question? (Assuming they aren't inflating the difficulty of Standard to make themselves look better.)

For me, personally, Standard is easier.
  4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Which one I would say (OF THE FOUR, forget just Standard and Latin) will vary depending on the day you ask me.
  5. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

IMO

Ballroom Standard (aka MODERN) is the hardest of them all.
    And in Modern, the Waltz is the hardest.

That includes Int'l, American, Night Club, Social, and AT (all of which I've danced extensively for many many years).

When the merits of each style is compared to another, the other style will typically have a complementary or equivalent level of ease or difficulty that matches the former style (as BIA wonderfully illustrated).

There is one point in Modern, however, that cannot be matched by the other styles: MODERN DEMANDS MORE PRECISION.

One must be exceedingly more precise in Modern in order to produce the same level of expression when compared with other styles (other styles require less precision in order to look good--there is less tolerance for error than in the other styles).

Not convinced? Try being off by 10 CM in footwork in Latin and Modern. And your Latin would still look good.

Be off by 10CM on the hold or contact and see how quickly the movement will unravel 2-4 steps downstream...

m
    dancelvr likes this.
  6. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

this
  7. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to agree with this.
  8. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Harder to learn, harder to execute, or harder to win?
  9. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

Well Said... My take on it too.
  10. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

So...Standard is harder to master technique, perhaps? I don't know, even in that - learning anything even approaching halfway decent latin body action for me, since it is absolutely and completely foreign to how I have always carried myself, has been an uphill fight from day one.

I echo the thoughts of everyone else here. Harder in what sense? Technique only? Expression? Artistry? Connection? Body action?

It's pretty much impossible to compare apples to oranges. Or ballroom to standard. Or rhythm to smooth. Or rhythm to latin, or ballroom to smooth...they're all different. They are all hard, they are all easy, and every person who dances them will have different challenges and successes with each style.

To the OP: maybe you have not yet gotten a straight answer after lots of discussion because there isn't one.
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

12. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I don't know what level you do, but when you start doing open, advanced standard patterns have no room for error. Like someone else said, be off by just a bit in your hold, and everything comes apart on the next measure.

I haven't worked enough on rhythm or latin to comment on their difficulty at high levels. When I did bronze and silver, I found standard easier because I was intimidated by work outside of closed hold. Now that I do open smooth and standard, each has its own set of difficulties, but open standard was definitely much harder than silver smooth (I did silver smooth and open standard for about a year, before I moved up in smooth as well).
  13. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Like I said, it depends on the context and on the person. It's hardly surprising that open standard is harder than silver smooth. ;-)

I don't think anyone on this forum is going to suggest that Latin or Rhythm competitors need to practice any less than Standard competitors in order to win. Is a Latin competitor who is not just as precise as the same level Standard competitor going to win?

So, again, what is the context? In my personal context, Standard is easier than Latin. At the highest levels of competition, I imagine doing it well enough is just as hard for either. When someone is a brand new beginner, I'd say Standard is hardest, Rhythm is easiest.

I take my lessons from world class 10-dance competitors. They do better in Standard than in Latin. Does that mean Standard is easier for them, or that the level of competition in Latin is higher?

Everybody has stuff that is easier or harder for them. I hear lots of people talk about how hard Int'l Foxtrot is, but it really is the easiest dance for me. Jive kills me, and I have a hard time with the basic. I don't know anyone that describes Samba as easy (except my daughter).
  14. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I find standard to be ridiculously easy. There are just only so many things you need to do. Latin, Rhythm, Smooth has umpteen million positions and possibilites to master. Standard is just so... simple.
  15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Bottom line... different people are going to have different skill sets that make certain dances harder or easier for them. You can't compare...
    chomsky likes this.
  16. newbie

newbie Active Member

The difficulty is to combine both. In standard you dance like you've eaten a broomstick, then in latin the broomstick tend to still be there.
  17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I think Standard is easier than Latin. That is why I dance Standard. :)
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my answer to this has changed over and over and over again :)
    anametuer likes this.
  19. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

What is a 10 dance competitor? What does that mean? :confused:
  20. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Depends on your mind-set, physical abilities, and experience, IMO.