Which of these ways is the best way to learn dancing?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by wiseman, Jun 24, 2010.

1. morgrob

morgrob New Member

I think it also depends on what your goals are. If you want to compete, I think careful study of an individual dance is more important. If your goals are purely social, there is nothing wrong with working on a couple of dances at the same time. My goals are purely social, and where I take lessons, each 12 week course is 3 or 4, but most are 3. We often spend time on all three or just two of those dances in a 70 minute lesson. We have taken lessons for about 2 years now, and I feel like, as long as you practice and keep up, you can maintain those steps. If you want to get awesome at a dance, then I think careful studying of a single dance may pay off. I just think you need to evaluate your goals. If you are happy with where you are going, then that is all that matters.
  2. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Starting out, the structure of lessons, your future goals, whatever, that's not what's important at first. Find a place you feel comfortable getting your feet wet. Feel comfortable with the staff, feel comfortable with the other students. There's no place that's perfect, but for that beginner stage, it's really all about getting comfortable doing something new with a bunch of strangers around you.