Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

A road crew working in the street in front of our office building dug up our power service entrance. :bkick: A lot of us have broadband at home, so we're all working from home for the rest of the afternoon. We don't know yet when it's going to be fixed -- when I left, it had been an hour, and the utilities crew hadn't shown up yet.
  2. yippee1999

yippee1999 New Member

I just wanna whine about how self-centered this world has become.

I get so irritated... on the subway, some people will sit there with their bag on the seat next to them. And even though they see that there are no other available seats left for others to sit in, they won't move their bag and free up the seat UNTIL someone specifically asks them to. And then when you indicate you want to sit there, some of these people actually have the audacity to give YOU attitude!

People will lean against the pole in a train car, even when it's packed, as if no one else would also like to use that same pole to hold onto...

People will be getting waited on at a Starbucks, or by a salesperson in a dept store ringing them up, and all the while they are in the middle of a phone conversation with someone else and then the sales person has to wait for them to realize they need to sign their sales slip or whatever...

People (mainly women) on a crowded subway will sit there with their legs crossed, and their shod foot sticking out, and everybody who passes by them either has to make a path around their sticking-out foot or else get kicked in the leg by the person's shoe. (When I am sitting on the train with my legs crossed, I remain very aware, and will pull my foot in anytime I see someone about to walk past me.)

Argh! :)
  3. yippee1999

yippee1999 New Member

Just wanted to comment on Elise's cleaning lady coming to give an "estimate". I've never heard of such a thing. Don't most places just have a flat hourly fee, sometimes with a time minimum....say 2-4 hour minimum per cleaning?
  4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Hello again - is this a whine or should it be on the 'celebration' thread? I suppose the question is how much do you love your work?? :)
  5. elisedance

elisedance New Member

twasn't my cleaning lady, twas samina's - I was just waxing satirically.

Here (as elsewhere) cleaning persons (lets not be sexist girls) are worth their weight and the 'interview' is often reversed - the cleaning person can select which houses to service and are often in control of the wage issue (how much can you afford is more common than how little can I pay you.

Note, this is NOT a whine - its a comment in reply to a whine. Maybe this service person type has simply become as valuable as, say, a plumber. Some of the skills are just as sophisticated... By the way, "Deliah, we love you! :notworth:". [Can't be too careful....]
  6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

You mean I missed my whining window? Whiiiinnnnnneeee! :p
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

twas my cleaning lady... IME, that's a standard practice. they come and size up your house, how many rooms, how big, how long they think it'll take them.

worked out great, BTW... $30 cheaper a week than my last cleaning person... and a sweetie to boot. well-known in my neighborhood, someone i can trust.

interesting side note: she has white tattooed eye-liner on her upper lids. really beautiful. she said it was really painful to have done. very ballroom-y.
  8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yep
  9. meow

meow New Member

My whine is that I am finding it hard to get enough time to be on DF as I would like at the moment due to looking sfter my new puppy. Not complaining that I have a puppy though, she is great - just want my cake and eat it too.
  10. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

Well, I want to whine about the fact that my studio has been closed for the past six weeks. As I live in a very small town, there has been absolutely NO opportunity for dancing. I am going INSANE!! :headwall:
  11. meow

meow New Member

Very understandable.
  12. MissBallroomBear

MissBallroomBear Active Member

I checked but no kinks. It hasn't done it today so maybe it was just having a bad day. Thanks for your help, ED, and I'll copy this down incase it happens again.
  13. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

YEEEEEOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeebus! I know of permanent makeup, of course including permanent eyelinger...but OM-Freakin'-G. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.

That's making me cringe just thinking about it.

As much as I want one, I could never tolerate the pain of a tattoo in any "normal" spot...much less around my eye. Oh.dear.god. OW!!!
  14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

1) Make like you're going to sit on their bags. "There's no one sitting here, I think I'll have a seat."
    2) If someone is blocking the pole, hold on to their arm.
    3) "Sign your slip, beeyotch!"
    4) Walk through their foot. Faster is better. It'll hurt them as least as much as it will hurt you.
  15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

5) Don't live in a city.
  16. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Are people really more polite outside cities? Or is it just different - I mean, like respect for privacy is very high in cities but at least anectodally very low in small comuniiites..
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yowza!

sounds like it might be time to take things into hand and start holding your own dance events! is there is community hall you could rent cheaply on the weekend? sunday nite might be a good day for a good rate... distribute some flyers... get a DJ... then get your dance fix on! :)
  18. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

now c'mon. Everyone knows from the movies its those small insular communities that will shoot, hang, eat or sacrifice to a wicker god, the hapless stranger, not to mention the inbreeding, the dark secrets and blah blah. Wheras in the city there's a democratic sort of survival instinct.
  19. elisedance

elisedance New Member

works for me BTM - I'm still alive.

Actually, I feel safer in my current inner city community than I have for 30 years... The reason is that I'm known by so many people I never feel alone...
  20. yippee1999

yippee1999 New Member

Hi Joe. As to your comments.... :)

1)

Me:

I get so irritated... on the subway, some people will sit there with their bag on the seat next to them.

Joe:

Make like you're going to sit on their bags. "There's no one sitting here, I think I'll have a seat."

Me:

Oh, I never ask for their "permission" mind you! :--) I turn my knat around and start to squat so it's clear I expect them to remove their bag before my knat hits seat, and they almost always immediately comply. But one time it was hysterical....

There was a bag on the seat between two people and it wasn't clear whose bag it was. So I looked in the general airspace of the two people and said "excuse me" (meaning "would one of you please move your goddamn bag!"). Well one of the women SLOWWWLLY picked up her bag, with real attitude... and I am standing there just waiting. I could just feel everybody's eyes watching to see what would happen (cuz you just never know!). Well the funny thing was that once she removed her bag, I saw that there really wasn't very much space for me to fit between her and the other woman. But after making such a "fuss", I felt like I had to sit there. It so happens I also had on a (puffy) down coat, and so I squished in between the two woman, and eventually fit in there as the air in my puffy coat began to decompress from the pressure of the somewhat portly women's bodies on either side of me. :--)

2)

Me:

People will lean against the pole in a train car, even when it's packed, as if no one else would also like to use that same pole to hold onto...

Joe:

If someone is blocking the pole, hold on to their arm.

Me:

What I will do is wriggle my hand onto the pole and under their back and then I will purposely hold on in such a way that my knuckles are protuding and sticking into their back. Eventually they realize that the pole feels uncomfortable for some strange reason, and then they will turn around and realize it's because of my hand. I will just stand completely oblivious and at that point they usually turn themselves around and hold onto the pole like everybody else does.

4)

Me:

People (mainly women) on a crowded subway will sit there with their legs crossed, and their shod foot sticking out

Joe:

Walk through their foot. Faster is better. It'll hurt them as least as much as it will hurt you.

Me: yeah, much as I'd like to do that, I really wouldn't want the dirt from someone's shoe on my pants, plus walking that fast, I might hurt end up tripping myself!