Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. XL_PT

XL_PT Member

A whining thread? OMG.
    Is this getting better and better... :D
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Hey, that's not a whine! :)
  3. manny

manny New Member

news programs exaggerating everything about the storm in the east coast for 48 hours.
  4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

hurricane-sandy-frankenstorm-work-home-flood-workplace-ecards-someecards.png
  5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I don't watch news programs so can't say, but are you sure they are exaggerations?
  6. manny

manny New Member

yes, not to be confuse with "nothing is happening". Things are happening/happened, but something bad exaggerated to 'horrible' is still exaggeration.
  7. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Well, the photos and videos I've seen look pretty darn "horrible" to me.
  8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

According to NPR today (with verifiable sources) there are millions of people without power. 40 people are dead (and counting.) According to an insurance analyst at a well-known insurance industry group, this was one of the top five most expensive storms of all time, in terms of property damage; it's estimated to have caused $5 to $10 billion in insured losses. That doesn't count uninsured losses. Towns on the NJ coast are essentially under water. Businesses in lower Manhattan are out of commission. And the storm, although weakened, is still dumping water in western PA and creating wind gusts as far west as Illinois.

To me, reporting this type of things is what news organizations are for.

And (not wanting to beat a dead horse, but still) having lived through five hurricanes, I can attest that I would rather news organizations report the possibility of a worst case scenario to allow people a chance to prepare than underestimate the possibilities and potentially leave people in harm's way.
  9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Admittedly, my own experience has not been "horrible", but: mine is the only home I know in my personal and professional circle across the state that has power, and it's not expected to be restored to most peope for 7-10 days; meanwhile, the temperature is dropping. I am currently feeding a number oc people who have been stranded without food and are unable to cook what they do have due to no power; I counted 4 trees within 2 blocks that had fallen on either someone's house or car; none of my office staff has power, cell or Internet, and neither does my sizeable corporate office. Grocery stores, gas stations...Starbucks...not open yet, or minimally so. And this is the part of the storm NOT affected by flooding.

Just sayin'...
    Larinda McRaven likes this.
  10. pygmalion

God bless you for reaching out to your neighbors, sami. The first time I lived through a hurricane is when I learned what neighbors and community really can be.
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Well, I can't ever leave someone's belly empty...whether it's the Greek in me or my astrological sign, who knows, but I am compelled to feed people. :) However, it's my younger son who was the driving force behind this particular outreach. He couldn't bear to leave his friend stranded, so we took him in. And one becomes 2 becomes more... That's sorta par for the course here - our fam are orphan-collectors, generally speaking. :)

But I will say I have encountered some discussion threads on FB that have been shockingly heartless. I believe I've said more than once before on DF that character reveals itself under duress, as a rule, so it's always telling to see what comes to the fore during times like these. The best and the worst.
    cornutt likes this.
  12. pygmalion

Yeah. Character shows under stress for sure.

And yeah. I can relate to taking in strays. I'm a people feeder from way back. Nobody ever leaves my house hungry. Ever.

This reminds me of the child's story/picture book, Miss Twiggley's Tree. The weird/eccentric lady in town, the one that all the people shun, takes in the whole town when there's a gigantic flood that destroys everybody's home, except her "weird" tree house. I loved that story, when I was a little girl. There were lots of positive messages in there, long before diversity was on anybody's radar. :cool:
  13. pygmalion

Not saying that you're weird or anything. lol.

I just have a vision of you in a funny hat, feeding all the town's people in your giant tree house. ;)

[​IMG]
    samina likes this.
  14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Well, weird being a relative term, I won't argue with you. You may be spot-on in some people's view. :)
  15. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I pay a lot of my bills on-line through my bank. End of September, I paid three bills: gas, cable, and HOA. Last weekend as I balanced my bank statement, I discovered that those three payments were never made. Of course, I went back in and paid them immediately. Now yesterday I got new bills from all three. So I've learned to always follow up to make sure they do what they're supposed to do.
  16. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Frakking stupid forum software!
  17. pygmalion

Well. At least you got a bonus whine for free. *ducks and runs* *grin*
  18. pygmalion

How much d'ya wanna bet that your entire town will be green smoothie-ing before this whole thing is over? :D
  19. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

looks like a good read
  20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Plus one.
  21. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Minor whine...my roof is leaking...I have a small damp patch on the ceiling by the fireplace...the same thing happened about two years ago when the flashing on the chimney needed repair...I suspect the same thing has happened because of all the wind and rain...I called the problem in yesterday to the condo property management...it's only one spot and it's not that bad...I'm grateful because it could be a whole lot worse...