Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Wow, luckily don't need change my signature yet, hopefully when I eventually need to change, will be fixed;) so far I only use basic functions such as reading and posting replies, haven't encounter major problem except really don't like the lower resolution of my avatar:(

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I wish the associated parental units would remove the small child from my vicinity. Admittedly child is quiet and well behaved, but...go.away. And quit trodding on my toes, and bumping into me, and my feet are not toy car roads, and quit stepping in my purse. Go.away.

3. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

I feel like the shrimp guy on Forrest Gump..."you've got your turkey and dressing, you've got your leftover turkey and dressing, you've got your turkey pizza, you've got your turkey salad sandwiches..."

j_alexandra likes this.
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Ya got yer bawled skrimp, yer steamed skrimp, yer bbq skrimp, yer skrimp stew, yer skrimp soup, yer skrimp po boys, yer skrimp kabobs ...

Love that movie. And I think you should go back home ... TO GREENBOW ALABAMA!

5. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Actually, I little bit north of there in East Tennessee. And won't be moving back that way any time soon.

6. pygmalion

Gotcha and agreed. Never going "home" to Philadelphia, PA. Loved it when I was there; love things about it now. But I ain't goin home no more no more.

I just said that for emphasis. Love me some Forrest Gump. Darnit! I was going to post a picture of the Greenbow Alabama! scene (The one where Forrest yells at Jenny's abusive, loser hippie boyfriend) but that's the one screen shot that I can't find.

7. pygmalion

Some people just do not comprehend that not everybody adores their precious child. It could be worse, though. It could be an infant that they just hand you as if somehow, because you're a woman, you must be hard-wired to want to hold all random babies in your vicinity. It took my Mom decades to finally believe me that, even though I loved my own (close) child relatives** and my own child to distraction, that does not necessarily spill over into a desire to love on every baby ever born.

** I really don't think I should be required to nurture second cousin babies. Nieces and nephews? Yes, within certain parameters. Second cousins? Are you kidding me? Thank goodness the next family reunion is two years away and most of my first cousins and siblings are too old to procreate. And we've already covered my position on second cousins.

8. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Take it as a compliment; kids know instinctively (not without excpetion) who is congruent; ie you reflect rather than hide your feelings;)

“Granny Weatherwax personally disliked young Pewsey. She disliked all small children, which is why she got on with them so well. In Pewsey’s case, she felt that no-one should be allowed to wander around in just a vest even if they were four years old. And the child had a permanently runny nose and ought to be provided with a handkerchief, or failing that, a cork.”

Granny Weatherwax leaned down until her impressive nose was about level with Pewsey's Gusihing one.
    "If you don't go away" she said gravely " I will personally rip your head off and fill it with snakes."
    "There said Nanny Ogg "There's lots of poor children in Klatch that'd be grateful for a curse like that."
    Pewsey's little face, after a second or two of uncertainty, split into a pumpkin grin. "

So we have our own Granny Peachwax:)

j_alexandra likes this.
  9. Peaches

LOL.

bordertangoman likes this.
  10. Peaches

Must.not.scream.at.coworker. I can deal with the off-key headphone singing and humming, but the tapping and drum-playing on the desk has got to go.

11. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Had to get a tetanus shot today and now my arm is all sore. :(

12. mindputtee

Aaaaand of course my phone decides to brick up at 3 am when I need to set an alarm so I can wake up for an exam tomorrow.

13. mindputtee

Oh yay, got phone working again. Now I can go to sleep... next phone is going to have a removable battery.

14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

4:30 a.m. is not an acceptable time for a cough and chest congestion to begin breaking up

15. Peaches

True. And, to be fair, he was actually unbelievably well-behaved the entire day. Next to me. I don't even really mind him that much. He's almost to the age when they start to become slightly interesting (which is about 4, IMO; he's 3). And, yeah, of course I keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't...dunno...stick a car bit into an outlet or something, or wander off, or whatever. I do that with any kid in the vicinity. I mean, not wanting to hold kid != wanting to set kid on fire, or equivalent. Just because I don't dissolve into a cooing puddle at a kid...

But there's something about the casual touching from kidlets that weirds me out. Get.your.hand.off.me! Stop.leaning.on.me! I.am.not.a.play.toy! It's just...creepy. Their hands are...creepy. And they tend to be sticky, which is just beyond gross.

There's also the intense bug-under-a-glass thing that happens when kid is around along with family members, which is always. I get watched like a hawk for...I dunno...any sort of expression of maternal instinct or something (or perhaps just to make sure I don't set the kid on fire or similar). And lack of sufficient thrill-ed-ness in dealing with kid gets me chided...so, always. Aside from ticking me off, it really just makes me want to dig my heels in that much more. (...and now the issue of holding my niece is going roughly down the same road. This is going to become a big issue, pretty soon. It's making me very angry. And if there is anything that will (continue to?) damage my relationship with my mom, this is going to be it. Not looking forward to this fight when it happens. And it's definitely "when," not "if.")

16. Peaches

Strange double-ish post. What the heck?

17. fascination

ah Peach...I am sorry about this....from an alternate perspective...I also understand your mom on this...even though she is making a big mistake....

what I understand is that I was sooooooooooooo not into kids before I had my own....and I am still not into extra time with any that are not very near and dear to me....teaching a classroom of small children or going to chuckie cheese has me breaking out in hives or wanting a drink....I think this is true of many people....so your mom, ever wanting to have motherhood in common with you, is hoping that you are that sort of person.

obviously, the issue is that not everyone has that experience and rolling the die on it is an awfully big risk for you, your dh and the potential kid....I am sure that her difficulty accepting your choice and hoping this baby would make you waver, is NOT a pleasant thing....certainly having or not having a kid shouldn't be about feeling pressured or refusing to consider it out of resentment for having been pressured....it should be about your own inner stirrings...and if they are not there for children then folks need to do a better job of managing their own dashed hopes

18. fascination

by the way, if you haven't seen "Brave" ...i'd recommend it

19. Peaches

Oh, it's not even about me having kids or not. I don't think. I'm pretty sure they gave up on that years ago. (Things seemed to change when I turned 30.)

Things now are about me being appropriately coo-y/puddle-y about the baby. And holding her. Holding her has become the current litmus test for appropriate coo-y/puddle-y tendencies. And I guarantee it's the tip of the iceberg.

There are so many layers and facets of my anger and resentment right now it's not even funny. And I'm sad that this anger and resentment, which I'm desperately trying to get a handle on (and failing), is really outweighing the fact that I am happy for my brother/family. But it's kind of swamped at the moment.

...so ticked off over all of this...cannot begin to explain...seriously not joking or being dramatic when I say this has the very real potential to seriously damage my relationship to my family...which is sad...which makes me angry all over again...

20. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

small children are quite nice...

if barbecued...;)

21. fascination

well P....I wish you luck on being respected on this...and I hope that if it does come up, it is on a day when the validity of your message won't be obscured by your capacity (or lack thereof) to deliver it in a measured way...only so that it will be fairly heard ...not to spare anyone the wrath