Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

people not responding to emails, absent debilitating illness really irks me too...if you are busy, drop a quick note and say you'll get back to me later

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

The really fun one is when you send an email, get an OOO reply, and the day that they claim they will return is three days ago.

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Er...guilty as charged. Well, not so much email, because I can set the dates on that to be active. But I'm really bad with voicemail. (To be fair, I change it as soon as I've been notified of the problem. But, given that I get a call maybe once a month, it's likely to be a long time.)

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

EXACTLY! I don't give a [poo] what your answer is--no judgement, no expectation, no nothing--whatever it is, I can deal with it. Just, please, for the love of FSM, just let.me.know! All I want to know is what I need to plan around. And if you're too busy and can't be bothered, just bloody well say so. I can handle that.

5. fascination

our entire holiday is up in the air due to an issue like this....and it is like; look, just **** or get off the pot...I will survive, but kindly have the courtesy to respond so that I can organize the rest of my life

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. :(

7. fascination

eh...I do pretty well with things over which I have no control, but if members of my family who fly and need flights could possibly book them for considerably less if they had a clue, it would be a nice courtesy given that it has been politely requested over 2 weeks ago...meh...there are enough things over which I do have control and need to tend to ....but still...courtesy...a beautiful thing

8. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Look I'm Procrastinating. okay? ;)
    also guilty as charged....

9. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Clothes dryer won't heat up and now I have wet clothes hanging all over the house. AND, appliance guy can't come to fix it until next Tuesday.

10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Minor whine...and really, I admit, rather small and petty...my office is having a Secret Santa gift exchange, where we draw co-worker's name...of course, I drew the one person in the office that I'm not that fond of...heavy sigh...I'll be a big person and get a thoughtful gift and do a good job wrapping it...no one will know the difference...did I say I admit this is rather small and petty??? :rolleyes:

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Sometimes doing something thoughtful like that for someone I don't resonate with has changed the way I feel about the person, and eased the relationship a bit...at least from my perspective.

Funny you should mention Secret Santa, as that came up for me today -- gave me a chuckle. I've put together a holiday party for my own team, including both Secret Santa and White Elephant gifting, and we already drew the SS names. However, today I learned that there is someone new now reporting to me. What to do, what to do, without having to re-draw for SS again...?

Ah-ha! The solution: I took the name I drew, duplicated it a couple times, put them all in the grab bag and let the new guy pick from those three names. He picks the name I drew, I give myself his name...et voila, pressing critical business-stopping issue resolved. :)

Purr and mindputtee like this.
  12. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Same happened to me, but funnily enough, the person I drew I know EXACTLY what to get him and I know he'll love it.

Purr likes this.
  13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Does your place have fuses or circuit breakers? If it has fuses, check them. Blowing a fuse on one half of the circuit can cause this.

14. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Anything is possible.

Great solution!

15. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I understand. ;)

Co-worker likes Earl Grey tea, so I was thinking along the lines of getting a big Christmas mug with a box or two of Earl Grey tea. Then I might add holiday chocolates, a small peppermint bark candle, or some other small items. Put the whole thing in a fancy gift bag with tissue paper and a decoration of curling ribbon, and presto, Secret Santa gift. I'm sure co-worker will love it. :D

16. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

if it helps, Earl Grey is mildly toxic;)

reported in the journal Lancet, even tea can cause health problems if flavoured with bergamot essence (Earl Grey tea) and consumed in large quantities. It may induce muscle cramps, involuntary twitches (fasciculations), burning or prickling feelings (paraesthesias), and blurred vision. A man aged 44 years went to his doctor with muscle cramps. He had consumed up to four litres of black tea daily for 25 years and had recently switched to Earl Grey tea, believing it would be less harmful to his stomach. Within a week, he developed muscle cramps in his right foot. Over the next few weeks they had spread to his left foot, right calf and towards his hands. Other symptoms included involuntary twitches of the right adductor pollicis and gastrocnemius muscles, burning or prickling in the end regions of all limbs, and a feeling of pressure in his eyes. This was associated with blurred vision, particularly in darkness. Appropriate tests excluded motor neurone disease, polyneuropathy, myopathy, neuromyotonia, stiff-man syndrome and Machado-Joseph disease. After five months, the patient switched from Earl Grey to pure black tea and his symptoms completely disappeared within a week. They remained absent when he stopped drinking all tea for a week. He also found they did not recur as long as he consumed no more than one litre of Earl Grey daily. Essence of bergamot oil is used to flavour Earl Grey tea. Bergamot oil contains bergapten (5-methoxypsoralen), bergamottin (5-geranyloxypsoralen), and citropten (5,7-dimethoxycoumarin). It is a well known UVA-induced photosensitiser (making the skin abnormally sensitive to sunlight), has a toxic effect on the liver and can also cause contact allergy. The side effects observed in this case can be explained by bergapten, which has effects on electrical conduction in membranes of peripheral nerves (it is a largely selective axolemmal potassium channel blocker and reduces potassium permeability at the nodes of Ranvier). The resulting hyperexcitability of the nerve axon membrane and timing alterations of nerve potassium currents can cause the twitching and muscle cramps.
    Finsterer J. Lancet 359:1484, 27 Apr 2002

17. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I didn't know that about Earl Grey tea. I drink tea, buut I prefer English Breakfast tea or something similiar. He said he likes Earl Grey tea, which I don't like because the taste is too strong for me.

He can drink the tea at his own risk. :p

pygmalion likes this.
  18. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

When did people stop being able to use critical thinking/problem solving skills?? I'm not going to sit here and spoon feed the answers to this assignment to you, figure it out yourself!

19. fascination

right about when you could use google for everything

20. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Whine: People on my work team take 15 seconds to complain. I spend fifteen hours following up on the thing they complained about.

And nobody ever says thank you. Ever. Ever.