Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Company has employed one of the senior manager's daughters. Aaaaand now he's trying to be all "my daughter isn't getting paid enough. Her hours keep changing"

It's a retail job. Retail doesn't pay well. And hours need to be flexible. These conditions are the same for everyone. If you get your 15 year old daughter a job, you should probably expect to have to drive her to it, so don't be complaining about the length of her shifts not being worth the petrol time.

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Did not get the promotion. Trying not to be bitter or resentful of one of the people who got it. Luckily have vacation coming up to get over myself. Decision, though: my workload is going to change. Promoted slacker coworker is going to start shouldering more of his share of the workload, and I'll be the one to hold his feet to the fire this time around.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. *hug*

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

ditto on the hug

it sucks to not get promoted over the the slacker or brown noser

im my own boss so i watch carefully so none of my employees feel unapprecaited

5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it.

I do still have a good job, with work I (mostly) enjoy doing, with good benefits...which is why this was only a whine.

...but, yeah. Today I'm...well, not having fun, but...having my little pity party. I will let myself be like this for today. Tomorrow = vacation. Next week = vacation. Week after that...I will get my head on straight and fly right and go back to doing the best I can do, because that is upholding my values.

Question for the Void: would it be inappropriate to ask my branch chief (who was on the interview panel) what I need to be doing differently to get the promotion next time? Not, why didn't I get it this time (although that's going to be implied, on way or the other), but what can I do differently? I can't see pitfalls with that...but I've learned by now that I don't always come across as intended.

6. Mr 4 styles

as a business owner i tell you that shows incentive!! i would encourage you to do that and keep it positive and growth oriented

7. Mr 4 styles

and some bosses are lousy at reading people indirectly so ya gotta spell it out for them kinda LOL

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Ask your boss, Peach. Every organization is different. In my place of work, this would be acceptable, but every organization has different unwritten rules or culture pertaining to hierarchy & politics.

If your boss can't be relied on to give good guidance on this, follow your instinct. It's a reasonable request.

9. pygmalion

Agreed. It's a reasonable request. It's even the advice that's given in those job search books. If an interview is unsuccessful, you're supposed to thank the interviewer for the opportunity, then ask for pointers.

Just because you're interviewing internally doesn't mean you're not looking for a job, right? You can do this.

10. pygmalion

I've often thought that we should have a career not exactly advice but ... say ... comparing notes thread. We've had quite a few conversations through the past couple of years that are now all strewn about. It would be nice if they were all together in one place. Oh well. *sigh*

11. pygmalion

Whine. Big boss shut down the office half an hour early today. As I'm walking about the door, GF whom i love dearly says, "We've gotta talk," then proceeds to talk to me about non-urgent work-related stuff for the next hour. Yay. Couldn't this have waited until Monday?

12. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

This is not at all inappropriate. Your boss should want you to understand how you can position yourself for a promotion.

Some companies have mentoring programs where you meet with a senior executive who is not in your reporting line but who can help coach people like you who want to be considered for a higher level position. Is this an option where you work?

13. pygmalion

Now we have spammers starting threads entitled nonsense phrases over in F&I. Good grief. This is annoying. What in the world do they hope to gain by posting nonsense?

14. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. pygmalion

Good point.

I thought DF had that weird character recognition thing that makes it hard for bots to create accounts and log in, though. These spambots are getting on my nerves.

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I've always understood this kind of spambot to be about getting "backtracks" to enhance SEO, to get more visibility/higher ratings with Google. When they leave links behind, that's what they hope will happen, in which case it doesn't much matter what messages are left behind. But I'm no spambot expert, though I do contend with it on my own websites.

17. pygmalion

Yeah. I figured it had to do with google rankings or some such. *shrug*

18. pygmalion

Whine: Just found out that DS will be spending part of his Christmas vacation with a woman I absolutely abominate. Actually with her and her two sons. Snowboarding.

She happened to come and visit me and the ex right around the time that the book, "The Bell Curve," was embroiled in controversy, before DS was born. I had borrowed the book from the library and was in the middle of reading it. When this chick saw the book on my coffee table, she *get this* offered to read it for me and explain it to me. I kid you not. (She is a professor of psychology. An ARROGANT professor of psychology.) I thought (but managed not to say) "Guess what, sweetie? Two things. One. I am capable of reading and forming my own opinions. Been doing it for years. And two. Your PhD in psychology didn't give you a single clue about how to interact with other people. Oh and btw, get the hell out of my house." I didn't say it, but I have to admit that, although it's been sixteen? Seventeen? years since that book was published, I will never forget the sheer ... I don't even know what word would describe her obnoxious behavior in my home.

19. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Not enough time in the day to get stuff done...way past my bed time...

20. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Why are cars so expensive???

Car now needs (only few months after its $800 repair) at least two new tyres, circa $135 each, and a major service, $200.

Plus I need some new glasses, because my prescription is getting a little off (that's in the "not urgent" list...), and Christmas presents for various friends and family.

Oh, and there was a Christmas beetle in my shirt. tdNOTwmh. Ew. And now I'm feeling crawly things all over me.

Question for the void...is it viable to attempt a 2.5hr, 110km/hr drive without a service, and with one tyre just below legal tread? Is that likely to be a huge issue? I'll probably end up getting the tyres...not happy that one of my brand new ones got a puncture a month after I got it.