Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

that's what i call getting the Bends...you come up too fast

2. bordertangoman

it feels more like an oap home today..."oh how much did we extend that house by 4 metres wasnit it." I politley suggest he looks at the drawing on his table..he struggles to decide what scale the drawing is Its 1:200.."No it can't be it must be 1:500" "no its 1:200" We have extended the house by 1 metre, but he's told the client 4 ..cheeses.
    Two days ago I said I was concerned that there wasnt enough headroom in the upper floor (this is another designer's scheme) and he starts flaffing about it. I've had enough of this incremental crap so i suggest that he go and talk to the client first, explain our concerns then get the go-ahead to make any changes...and take photos of the houses either side which are normal sized not cropped like this one..

where are the roll-eyes when you need 'em

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I really should have brought the trash cans in from the curb earlier today. Now we've got one hell of a downpour going on. Stupid self.

Also, bathroom cleaner does a number on my hands, particularly when they dry and rough and cracking to begin with.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Uuuh. Rubber gloves?

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

shea butter

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Already on it with the Shea butter. That's the only reason my hands aren't bleeding already this winter.

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Bleeding hands? That is mind-boggling. You poor thing. :(

8. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

At swing...lovely night.

One guy gets to me in the rotation, chats a bit...
    "So, how long have you been doing swing?"
    "Oh, a few months..." (since September, but I'm not going to count how many months that is)
    "Oh...and you're still in beginner level?

And then he was a really bad dancer. What a rude man

9. bordertangoman

being rude is forgivable. being a bad dancer, totally UNFORGIVABLE ;)

j_alexandra likes this.
  10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

There's a few leads like that at the studio. It seems like they like to explain, and count, in great detail figures they don't know while shuffling around the dance floor with no frame or quality of movement. I have tolerance, but I warned pro it was only a matter of time before I go nuclear with the one of them. :rolleyes:

11. fascination

this actually sounds to me like he may have been complimenting you

12. fascination

group lessons, I had forgotten about the dynamics that they encourage...I too do not have much time of day for people who decide to provide me with "help" without my asking for it...but sometimes it's just cute....

my three favorites;
    1) I had just won won the bronze A2 national championship in latin...came home, took a group in bronze latin rumba which consisted largely of my choreography and one of the young men proceeded to try to school me on the hockey stick because I wasn't doing .it the way that all the other ladies were...I simply exchanged glances with Ray Rivers, who was teaching the class and had been at that comp, and then proceeded to allow the young man to fix whatever was wrong with me.
    2) recently attended a group cha cha with syncopated cuban breaks...a good number of folks had a tiny issue doing it to speed...I ended up in the rotation with an older gentleman who simply could not move from syncopated crossovers into the cuban breaks to speed so I accomodated in terms of my upper body while my feet were actually doing the moves to speed, but, on the next move, a free spin, I went to spin and he informed me that we needed to do more of the rocks...he was very disappointed that I made that error...well, I wasn't about to explain it, I just apologized and moved on
    3) also recently, a gentleman comes in and begins singing his own praises about his own skills, not in ballroom dance, but another type of dance...that goes on for quite a while..so we begin an advanced class in a smooth dance and it is clear from the first pattern that he is beginning to break out in a cold sweat, then the instructor makes an off the cuff comment about one of my more notable competition accomplishments, and the fellow blanches...now, I did my best to be as chill about the whole thing as possible...but it was a tight rope...too reassuring, his ego gets bruised and I sound patronizing.... say nothing and listen to copious apologies, stresses and explanations....shrug....I wish, (see article that spitfire posted) that people would realize that not all advanced dancers are in a class to flex their muscles or massage their own egos...I told the guy afterward; "dude, my whole dance life is about being the worst of two dancers... and by a large measure"...when I come to a group, I am just happy to have no stress or humiliation...why would I want to inflict it upon anyone else?...and I guess that is why I get peeved when people come to groups and treat other people like crap for not being perfect dancers

Purr likes this.
  13. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Despite sleeping horribly the past 2 or 3 nights, I continue to have an outstanding couple of weeks in every other respect. I haven't been dancing in 6 weeks... I was going to nap but it's already too late, as I go back to work in a bit. Maybe I'll try a 5-hour energy and see what happens.

14. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

You're a better person than I am.

15. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I did enjoy your stories. :)

16. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Oh I so don't feel like plucking my eyebrows but they sorely need it.... :(

17. fascination

thanks.....I doubt I am a better person...perhaps I just have too many other annoyances

18. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

So do you do it right now? :D

19. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

It was more in the way he said it...a sort of "And you're still not good enough to move up?" rather than a "You're good enough to move up, surely."

I've never seen him before, and he kept making sneery faces and everything the instructor was saying, so I hope I never see him again.

pygmalion likes this.
  20. bordertangoman

following on fasc's stories; I turned up early for an advanced tango class and was dragged onto the floor of the the intermediate as they were short of leader's . A very kind Irish lady showed me the steps, as if I had danced before. I smiled sweelty and did exactly what she asked. It was only later she discovered I taught tango and we had giggle.