Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Evidence of the fact that P may THINK she's old, but she's really not... all that ancient. (This is not a free pass, however. lol) Did I mention that the first programming I ever did (other than in the elementary school Mentally Gifted Program) was in Assembly Language? And it was actually relevant at the time. Yep. I AM old. No doubt about it. P? Not so much.
  2. pygmalion

Brisk walks in icy cold weather are my fave, as love as there's no ice and I'm appropriately bundled.
  3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I guess that attempt at humor didn't work out at all... "XYZZY" is a magic word from Adventure, the first text-adventure computer game, circa 1980. (Does anyone even know what a text-adventure game is anymore?)
    j_alexandra likes this.
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Yep. Written lots of assembly in my time. I've even done a bit of COBOL, although I don't usually admit that in public.
    pygmalion likes this.
  5. pygmalion

Hehe.
  6. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Enchanter. which is how I discovered that I am not a gamer.
  7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Ohhhh... Now I get it. Thanks for the explanation!

FTR, yes, I know what text-adventure games are. Like j_alex, though, I am so not a gamer (but surrounded by friends who are gamers, oddly enough).
  8. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

ohhh, I thought you meant Atari Adventure...
    [​IMG]

obligatory whine: I am relatively certain that kids nowadays would be utterly bored with it. Not enough visual stimulation :rolleyes:
    pygmalion likes this.
  9. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Just as I rented out my only rhythm/latin dress, I may need one for the same weekend. Now I have to hunt down an inexpensive resale which can be altered to fit me.
  10. pygmalion

I woke up multiple time during the night feeling refreshed. This last time, the time that counts because I actually have to get up, not just wake up? This is the time that I wake up tired. Of course. *sigh*
  11. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

similarly, a policeman returns my sat-nav, half an hour after I have gone to bed, not particularly late but woke me up..then my daughter wakes up before six, unusual for her and climbs into my bed neither of us go back to sleep, second morning running.
    wonderwoman likes this.
  12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the first text adventure game may have actually been The Oregon Trail back around 1975/76. It came into my 6th grade class, in Minnesota. Exciting novelty and I loved it. No attraction to gaming, now.
  13. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

I hate this, too! I know it falls under the category of "listen to your body".. and that too much sleep is bad for you, so just because I CAN sleep for 9 hours doesn't mean I should, just because I needed 7 last night doesn't mean I will tonight, maybe I feel rested after 6, I should get up, but nooo it's only 7 am and I can sleep til 8:30, why would I get out of bed at 7 when I don't NEED to until 8:30, I go back to sleep and wake up an hour later feeling like absolute crap....

The other night I woke up at 5:30 (yes, that is still night time) and got on fb to reply to some emails. They were replies to emails I had sent earlier in the evening, the replies came at 2am because that is when those people got home from dancing. Sigh.
  14. Peaches

Sigh. It's amazing the interesting errors you find when you end up re-doing someone else's work from scratch. Oy.
  15. Peaches

*head-desk*head-desk*head-desk*
  16. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

what's a sat-nav??
  17. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Got performance review today. "You've had a great year! A wonderful year! You're so amazing and you accomplished so much! Oh, but your overall rating is Average. It's just your peers are so amazing too. Don't be insulted. Here's your piddling raise for being rated Average."

*SNORT*

I finished what I was working on and left early. I shouldn't have gotten out of bed this morning. I need to get out of here... pretty sure one of my coworkers threw me under the bus too.
  18. pygmalion

You have my sympathies. I have been there. Stinks.
  19. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Satellite navigation. Probably refers to a gps device.

Today's whine: I have this ridiculous tendency to overthink things that people mostly just DO. And find great joy or at least fun in. I overanalyze them to the the point I stink the fun right out of them!
  20. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Screw compulsory military service...I think we need compulsory retail service...learn what it's like on the other side of the counter and maybe it'll stop you being a rude knat.

Today I had a customer abuse me for asking which petrol pump he had...when you walk up and say "petrol", and it's busy and there are multiple other petrol pumps, what the hell else am I supposed to do???

Apparently, I spend too much time making coffee and serving customers, and not enough time watching people walk in from their cars, as I would know if I wasn't so bad at my job.

Ruined my day.