Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Are you sure they were waving? :D
  2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I like getting out of the shower to find that DH has vacuumed the house. I don't so much like the fact that it means the whole house now smells like stinkbugs. Eurgh.
  3. pygmalion

I heard something (on NPR?) recently about stinkbugs being particularly virulent this year. My sympathies. :(
  4. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Two whines for today...

Went to a spin class at the gym after I'd finished my weights. Felt like being nice and fit. Except that today's weirdo instructor tried to turn it into a circuit type thing...some time on bikes, the rest of the time spent squatting and throwing around medicine balls and dumbbells and stuff like that. I ended up leaving early because I just didn't want to deal with her. She kept stuffing up the music, yelling into her microphone...a truly bad experience at what is usually a great gym.

Second, I talked to BF about his upcoming court date. Not only does he say 'don't worry about coming', he actively doesn't want me to be there. I get that that's his decision, and he doesn't want anyone else to get involved, but I'd really like to be there to support him and also because, you know, I've never seen a court thing before and I'm genuinely curious. I won't go, but it sorta sucks that he doesn't want me there...
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I would be curious as to whether or not something had occurred that he didn't want me to know about....sounds pretty perplexing...as to the fitness class, was it labeled in advance as a class that was fusing spin with something else?
  6. Lioness

Nope...just an ordinary spin class.

I don't think it's a case of not wanting me to know something. It's more likely that he just doesn't want anyone to see something he regards as a really dumb mistake. He's pretty embarrassed about it all.
  7. fascination

8. Lioness

I think it just comes down to individual styles of getting through things...I like to have the comfort of a close friend or SO, he prefers to get through most things by himself. That's fine by me...just a little hard to understand initially.
    fascination likes this.
  9. pygmalion

You're very smart. :)

That's the important part -- your willingness to allow him to get through things his way coupled with his willingness to allow you to get through things your way. Makes the world go round. :)
  10. Peaches

I think you've it the nail on the head. Regardless of if you're the type to want friends for support or prefer to get through things on your own, there is a lot of shame involved. A lot. I can totally understand not wanting anyone else to witness that. DH went through something extremely similar this time last year, and he was the same as your BF. He asked me not to be around. He was having a hard enough time facing himself and the people he had to face; he didn't want to have to face me as well. It's not easy, and it won't be easy for either you or him.
  11. pygmalion

Any word on sequestration? (Is that a word?) I heard on the radio today that, if the cuts go into effect, thousands of military personnel will get automatic pay cuts and may be furloughed up to twenty-two days in the coming year. Twenty-two days. That's basically a month's pay cut with no warning. Not pretty. :( Yeah. I know. $5 billion won't come easy, but I'm thinking about those military families who really, really need to get paid. *sigh*
  12. fascination

I hear you...but let's tread very lightly on issues which could become highly charged issues of a political nature....since this forum does not wish to engage in matters of that sort....(in the event that new members have not familiarized themselves with guidelines)
  13. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

It's the Government civilian employees who are threatened with 22 days of furlough, not uniformed service members. But it impacts us all since those of us not furloughed will have to do their work as well as our own. Because our mission will still be there, money or not.
  14. fascination

here's hoping it won't come to that
  15. pygmalion

Oh. Thanks for clarifying. :cool: There goes DS's summer internship. *sigh* But not his child support. *evil grin*
  16. Peaches

Maybe, maybe not. Different agencies are handling things different ways. My uncle has gotten a furlough notice. I have not yet received one. It depends on the way each agency is handling things, and how they get classified. (We have brought on probably four new people in the last month, which goes to show that there is quite a lag between funding approval and what is happening now. Sometimes.)
  17. Peaches

Also to note: last I read, the plan was to furlough one day a week for twenty-two weeks. Not good, but probably more easily absorbed than three weeks without pay all at once.
  18. pygmalion

I hear ya, and you could be right. Heck. This whole sequester thingie might not even happen. But, even though DS's internship is technically an, "unpaid volunteer assignment," for the federal government, somebody has to be paid to coach and monitor him.

And if (as I hear may be true) major projects at the NIH are at risk of losing some funding, I can't see geeky guys who noodle around with high tech gadgets going on with business as usual.
  19. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

And I'm one of the civilian employees threatened with a furlough. :eek:
  20. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I know I shouldn't complain. It beats the heck out of not getting a raise (let alone not being employed), but egads, do I despise the whole "self-evaluation" portion of the annual performance review.