Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Amen.

2. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

My manager is so unprofessional. We work in retail. This means you don't take a 3hr break in the middle of the day to go pick your relative up from the airport. It means you say "sorry, I'm working" if she complains. You can't leave a store short-staffed for 3 hours because you don't feel like bring there.

3. pygmalion

Hmm. I don't see it that way. Three hours away from work is about work. Not picking up your relative is about family. To me, family trumps work every time. To me, what your manager could have done was try to find someone to cover those three hours for her/him.

4. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

As am I.

5. Lioness

I agree for medical situations, and emergency stuff, but our city has a good public transport network, and the airport is only 15 minutes from town.
    As an ordinary employee, there'd be no way I'd be allowed to leave for 3 hours in the middle of my shift. I don't see how it should be any different for a manager

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Not DOD, but furloughs are most certainly looming for me as well.

7. pygmalion

The federal government is the largest employer in the US, right? I think I heard that. *shrug* If this thing goes through, there will be a lot of pain to go around. *sigh*

8. pygmalion

That's where we see things differently, L. I think that you, as an ordinary employee, should be allowed the flexibility to go get your Mum from the airport rather than ask her to take the bus.

9. dancelvr

I'm not DOD either. I'm CBP. My department has to cut over $750,000,000.

10. pygmalion

I know I'm putting the cart before the horse to speculate about it, but I wonder how they're going to calculate the furlough pay cuts, if they happen. Meaning, will folks lose three weeks work of pay or more than a month? If you consider that the average work month has about twenty actual days of work, twenty-two days off is more than a month's pay, if you take annual salary and divide by the number of work days in a year.

That's a heck of a lot of money, even if it is spread over however many paychecks.

Fortunately for me, it would probably cost the ex more to take me back to court and have DS's child support adjusted down that it would to just continue to pay. Not that the ex hasn't taken me to court for no good reason multiple times, mind you, but I think he's outgrown the vindictive just because I can be period. Divorce is a crazy making thing. No two ways about it. *sigh*

11. pygmalion

Oh yeah and I also heard something about pay raises automatically being reduced for some group of people. I missed who this would affect, exactly. But, apparently, the pay raises, which were already a ridiculously low 1.7%, would be reduced to 1%. I could've sworn this had to do with military personnel, but I could be wrong.

Short answer: the sequester, if it happens, will have effects on people and their livelihoods long after the sequester is over. *sigh*

12. Lioness

Working at a different store tonight...it's crazy busy, so I can't go to the loo, and to top that off the light in the loo is broken and I hate peeing in the dark!

13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

and

We're all in the same boat, then.

I'm not a DOD employee either - I'm with another federal agency. From what I've been told so far, my agency is not going to be hit nearly so hard as DOD. My agency is looking at everyone being furloughed at least 5 days, a hiring freeze, reducing the number of employees through attrition, performance awards limited and/or frozen, and cuts in training and travel budgets.

Please keep in mind that pay for federal employees has been frozen for 2 years, and that freeze is likely to be extended at least another year.

If my part is being furloughed 5 days, I'm ok with it, and I'm not going to complain.

14. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Each federal agency will have its own plan to deal with the sequestration, and some will be hit harder than others with cuts. DOD will be hit the hardest, with employees looking at 22 furlough days.

15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

gosh darnit!. Despite body butter, and shea butter, and mittens, and every other type of moisturizing I can find to use...after a weekend if lots if cooking and baking (and hand washing) my hands are now cracked and bleeding. In multiple places. Sigh.

16. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

oh dear; would you be better off wearing gloves? or getting a housemaid ;)

17. dancelvr

Avon Moisture Therapy, and a pair of night gloves.

18. Lioness

Bummed because I spent almost the last of my money on some hayfever meds...and then they melted in the car :-(. Now I can't buy more and my eyes are really badly itchy :-(

19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

icy cold water on a wash rag really helps

20. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Ice cold wash cloth Lioness, wipe your eyes with and also apply the cold cloth to eyelids to reduce swelling.
    Wash your hands as well, people touch some part of their face at least every 11 seconds,,,,
    whining - planned on new dress - now planning on repairs to house. sigh.
    #2 whine - planned on flying to Austin, as per normal, saw airfares for March, now plan on driving, sigh.