Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Lol, thanks. But it is Air Force blue. And, according to some folks, it's a frivolous expenditure (especially if you live in snow country) and therefore must mean I have 'extra' money I may have gotten from somewhere suspicious. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there are investigators to keep us in line, but as the article in the link above mentions, they may not be focusing their attention in the most effective way.

Subliminal and pygmalion like this.
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Fine. I guess blue works, too. :)

3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

and Little Red Corvette is a song too...

4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

more diddley-muddlin' ; we do a couple of sketches for a client ; emails some different ideas he has..but they don't fit on the site; either we talk to him round a table or we are going round in circles....and its my boss not managing things again....oy effin vay..:rolleyes: and this roll eyes doesn't cut the mustard either

5. pygmalion

Crisis averted. The replacement phone is on its way to DS. Exact same make and model. Only $99 deductible. The seven bucks a month I've been paying just paid for itself.

Purr likes this.
  6. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Someone somehow got a hold of my debit card number and has been using it to make $900 worth of purchases in Japan. TDNWMH.

7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

domo arigato mindputtee:D

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

$200 in parts, trying to fix the ice dispenser on the fridge. Sigh.

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Dislike. I hope your bank put the kibosh on that!

ETA: did they at least purchase $900 worth of rhinestones? :D

10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Did the ice dispenser at least get fixed?

11. cornutt

Not yet; I'm still waiting on a new motor.

12. cornutt

I'm not sure where to put this, since it's a bit more than just a whine, but not worthy of the "Life is Hard" thread. Peaches and some other folks have written here of the impending furlough of U.S. government workers. Those of us who work for contractors have been following that situation, and all along, we've been told that the money for our contract is already appropriated and that we will continue working as normal, at least until the end of the fiscal year.

Well, between last night and this morning, that changed. We got blindsided with it in an all-hands meeting this morning -- no warning, no heads-up. And the thing is: I could understand if it was a funding issue. (Been there before.) But it's not a funding issue. We are fully funded -- but we're getting furloughed anyway.

First bit of panic was concerning our benefits, but I found out that as long as we work at least 30 hours per week, we're good on insurance. (The current plan is that everyone will be taking one leave-without-pay day per week.) However, this pay cut, coupled with the big pay cut that I took when I accepted this job, means that my salary is now back to about what it was in 1997, a total cut of almost half. Plus, my taxes have gone up, and my insurance is a lot worse.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much, since I know there are government people here who are also being impacted by this. But damn it. The fact that us being furloughed is being driven by politics rather than funding issues really P's me off.

13. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

If they had, no one would have questioned if it were me or not. Also, now I'm imagining $900 of rhinestones... :drool:

Joe likes this.
  14. pygmalion

I'm so sorry. :(

15. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I think I've almost had the worst possible day.

Last night we discovered that older cat was bleeding quite badly from one of his paws. We determined that the cause was a ripped-out claw. Today I took him to the vet.

Vet says the claw has been out for a while, but it might be some kind of tumor. Also that the abrasion on his nose might be skin cancer, not just from fighting.
    $100 for today's consult...if the maybe-tumor gets any worse, he might have to have a $900 toe-amputation surgery, or be put down. Vet says to keep him inside for a little while.
    So I get home and go to buy some cat litter...On my way to the shops, I drive through an intersection, look at my rearview mirror as I exit the intersection, look back and there's a person in front of my car. Oh my god.
    I hit her...thankfully she's fine. She's a little bruised, but she flew all the way up my bonnet and then on to the road. I have no idea how she isn't broken in any way. This is without a doubt the most traumatic thing that's happened to me, ever. Thank God she's ok.
    Next 2 hours spent taking her home to get her puffer, taking her to the doctor, taking her back home, and going to the police station to give a report. I don't have the numbers of any witnesses because the whole time she was just saying "I need to go home and get my puffer".

Policeman was lovely...said it's entirely not my fault seeing as she was crossing within 20m of a pedestrian crossing but not on it, and that she didn't see me. Doesn't mean I don't feel absolutely terrible. Holy hell.

And now because a courier missed me when all of that was happening, and he's got a dress I need by Saturday, and I'm working for the next two days, I have to drive 1.5 hours across town to go to their pickup depot. My windscreen is cracked and my bonnet is dented. And I really hope that's not going to cost ridiculous amounts of money, because I don't want to get insurance involved unless I have to.

16. pygmalion

Oh my God. Are you all right?

17. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I'm fine, and she's fine. I'm not just worried about how much it will all cost. I'm going to have to tell mum to get her to talk to the insurance company, which will up our premiums.

18. pygmalion

Yeah. I'm sorry. For right now,though, I'm glad that you are both physically okay. *sigh*

19. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oh, cornutt. I'm so sorry to hear this. That really does stink, especially the fact that it's not about funding. You have my sympathy.

Did the company say why you were being furloughed, when you already have the money? Or what they would actually _do_ with that funding which wasn't being spent on the project like it was supposed to have been?

Without getting into anything, I'll just say this: the current situation sucks. Hard. For a whole lot of people, in a whole lot of ways.

20. pygmalion

Yeah. The Fed is the biggest employer in the US. A lot of people are hurting. This doesn't make one person's pain any less, though. *sigh*