Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I can't be the only one left hanging here.
    So Lioness: *hugs* and SPILL! :cool:
    What's up?
  2. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I'm okay now :)
    Just a combination of stuff I can't remember lol...when did I write that?
    fascination likes this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Monday 857 am
  4. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I have a 5th Generation iPod Nano. It had started some minor glitches before, but now it's gotten worse. Now after a couple/few minutes of playing, it suddenly stops. Until I hit a button again. That is just plain unacceptable.

I've looked at the next generations. No control wheel; that is just not acceptable. I have a playlist, not all entries of which I might not want to listen to, depending on my mood (don't ask me about that!). I carry my Nano in my shirt pocket. If I want to skip the current randomized selection, I just reach in and click the fwd control. If a co-worker approaches me while I'm listening to music, I just reach in and pause my Nano. Never have to look, because I always know exactly where the appropriate control is.

Next generations, there's no control wheel, no way to know what to do. For absolutely every single thing, we have to pull the stupid thing out of our pocket in order to see what control to hit.

Really stupid question: is there any way I can buy another 5th generation Nano?
  5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

6. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I also found it on amazon.com.

It's gotten glitchy. Sometimes when I turn it on the volume goes all the way up and the volume control no longer works. When that happens, I have to reset it by plugging it in to the computer for recharging. When I tried that this morning, that seemed to clear that shutting off problem. So I'll be limping along with it for a while longer.
  7. Sania

Sania Active Member

I went dancing last night and it's the most beautiful day of spring. There are jasmine, honeysuckle and roses blooming in my yard. I love working in my yard.

My whine: my yard needs attention and I have other (indoor) commitments today!
  8. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I was in a car accident this Saturday. I'm not 100% certain of the cause, although it was most likely a matter of my hydroplaning. All I know for certain is that I lost control of my car and wound up spinning into the median at 70 mph. I was actually quite lucky. It was a stretch of interstate where the median was just a stretch of grass; there were no physical barriers. There was some damage to my car as it wasn't a flat stretch of grass, but it was even still driveable. And more importantly, I was uninjured (and noone else was involved in the accident). Had there been a barrier there, I very much suspect that I'd be fortunate had I simply wound up with a trip to the ER.

My whine: the highway patrolman who came to help decided it would be fair and reasonable to give me a $200 citation for "failure to maintain lane". I am struggling to see the justice in that.
  9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

bummer. maybe get a lawyer and sue the A$$ off the highway authority. There was a radio documentary about hydroplaning, after a cop lost control at 60mph
    at an accident black spot, and it was down to the road surface that was conducive to hydroplaning, so he started asking awkward question about what surfaces were being used and why (usually cost)
  10. JudeMorrigan

Well, I have no interest in suing, but I am actually tempted to go to court over this rather than just pay the ticket. That's not something I would normally do.

(Although your anecdote is interesting. Driving home, I couldn't help but notice three other cases of cars in ditches or the median in a space of less than 20 miles.)
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think it is fair to sometimes cite "an act of God"...ie weather...that being said, if one is doing 70 on a wet road there may be some argument for recklessness there ...kind of a toss up... imv...bottom line; very glad you are okay
  12. bia

bia Active Member

Wow, Jude, glad you're okay. Whatever the outcome of the ticket, it's much better to see this story in the whining thread than in the life is hard thread.
    fascination likes this.
  13. fascination

exctly...also might be a very good time to check the condition of your tires
  14. JudeMorrigan

I'll be taking it in to get inspected by the insurance people in a couple of hours. I'm sure they'll be taking a look at my tires while they're at it. My general impression is that while they're at a point where they *could* reasonably be replaced, they hadn't been at a point where they *needed* to be replaced.

As far as it goes, while I suspect that it would actually have been a more significant citation, I think I'd have had an easier time understanding a reckless driving citation than the FTML one. I didn't *feel* like I was driving particularly recklessly. That was the speed limit and while it was raining, it was a light rain. But ... ipsa loq. My familiarity with that road (I was making my weekly commute to Nashville for lessons) may have lulled me into a false sense of security.

But yes, I do feel very lucky that things were not far worse than they were.
  15. fascination

yea...it's hard to say which way a judge would lean...glad you have the opportunity to put it in the past ...hug
  16. JudeMorrigan

Thanks, I appreciate it.
  17. fascination

I do a lot of driving.... BTDT....the car has 100k on it in 2 1/2 years...had my life flash before me more than a few times.....safe travels
  18. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

ftfy
  19. JudeMorrigan

Called it in one. The insurance guy was pretty emphatic that I had been being overly optimistic about the state of my tires and that they lead directly to my accident. It's profoundly stupid on my part. My car will be paid off next month, and my plan had been to set aside the first couple of months without car payments and buy new tires later in the summer. But ... I have perfectly adequate savings to buy them now. It's not an *actual* imposition to buy them now and just put extra into savings in June and July. Stupid, stupid pennywise and pound-foolish.

On the plus side, my insurance company is seriously doing me right. That side of things has been remarkably smooth and painless.
    fascination likes this.
  20. JudeMorrigan

No doubt. I lost a good friend a few years back when she and her twin sister were in an auto accident. They were headed home from a late night of dancing when her sister fell asleep at the wheel. I have, suffice it to say, been thinking about them quite a bit since Saturday.