Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

my whine: teachers who refuse to teach!

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

My whine; students who refuse to learn!!

touche ;)

3. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

Hehe, true, very true. I've dfinitely been on both sides of the thing (as a music teacher, music student and dance student). I guess I'm just annoyed that my teacher tonight was correcting everyone but me - all she had to say was 'good' or 'lovely' or 'nice action' or whatever, to me. Not that I'm objecting to compliments, but it would be nice to get some constructive criticism, specially when I know that there is so many things about my dancing that need improving!

4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

what kind of music do you teach TINM? I assum you have a favorite instrument? I'm currently having a violin binge!]

5. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

I always wanted to learn violin - that or flute (which is the next instrument I'm learning, actually). I teach piano, it's the only one i'm good enough to teach. And the only one I'm qualified to teach. I love music from the Romantic period - Chopin is one of my favourites.
    I noticed in another thread that you said you were playing round with Pachelbel's canon - I played the most lovely arrangement of that for an exam (and then a primary school graduation thing) a few years back. It's an overdone piece of music, but done right, it's nonetheless beautiful!
    Do you play other instruments as well?

6. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I played the guitar for years - but mostly to sing to (tried a bit of classical but was not good at it). Like many, I starte violiin from a very young age up to age 14 when I got bored with it. I played again just for a year or so in 1998 to encourage my son (who was also quite good but also lost interest). Then I picked it up about a month ago - and it seems I'm finally ready to play :). Its amazing how much I remember and how fast it is coming back. And I'm having a ball buying a new instrument - the one I am currently trying is a french workshop one - 1936 Dieudonne - which is quite different from the german ones I grew up with and currently own.

Next I have to find a pianist to play with. Hmmm. You're not planning to move to toronto by any chance :)

7. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

:lol:

8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Come on down, Elise. I'm sure DH would love the chance to play duets with you. (And, regardless, I'm volunteering him. :) )

9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I'm there - soon as I figure out how to fit it in between the two comps in the next two weeks, the art show which still does not have its art, the violin shop daily cycle, an upcoming graduate student exam and my promise to visit my mother in Germany.... How's between 2.30 and 3 am next thursday sound?

ED doing everything - :banana:

10. Peaches

That time sounds fabulous! Absolutely perfect!

11. Peaches

So...tired...

Can't...get...warm...

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

%$#&ing heater core decided to give up the ghost last night. It's a $700 job, or several hours taking apart the dashboard and hoping you don't have too many screws left over when you're done.

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

What makes my GPS spontaneously decide to take me a different route from usual? And it can't reverse directions for going home.

Quirks I do not appreciate.

14. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Terrific. I will, of course, be wearing my ball gown to save changing time - would you possibly mind doing my hair while we play? Oh, shoot, we'll have to do it in the taxi back to the airport - but I can get a stretch limo. I so hope DH has a keyboard and generator...

15. Peaches

Oooh...a pretty, sparkly gown that I'd get to see up close?!?! Sweet! As for your hair...I'm more than happy to do yours, but you probably don't want that. I have short (I'll leave off the other adjective, given that it's on an open forum) hair for a reason...not terribly feminine, and super-easy to deal with...it's about all I can handle.

No generator, but plenty of power cords!

16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

He could get one of those battery powered Casio things... :D

17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I WANT .....my lesson.....hmmmmmmmmmmphhhfffffffffffffffffffff

18. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

An old fashioned map could be useful. ;)

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

tch... i know the way! :)

just wondering why my GPS wants to redirect...

20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Get thee to the addiction thread, danceholic.

[and take me with you - practice was SNOWED OUT LAST NIGHT after I drove through snow storms and afternoon commute traffic to get there...]