Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

but how wonderful to have that calibre of pro...still, I hear you...two weeks is my outside edge for no lesson most of the time...I have to be suffering severe burnout to want a longer break...have done five weeks...it wasn't pretty
    FancyFeet likes this.
  2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Agreed, and I'm v. proud of them for chasing their dance goals. This is a purely selfish and completely irrational whine. Likely compounded by last night's odd lesson (I have brand new shoes, pro was breaking in his new shoes too, worked on three dances in the hour... just a bit rushed and 'off' all around).

And since it's been 13.5 hours since I left the studio, I shudder to think how the next 2 weeks will go! You know you're an addict when you're counting hours...
  3. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

One of my professors still hasn't posted my grade, and my "final GPA" has been calculated. I know it's either an A or an A-, but he needs to put the grade on my transcript because that's the last class I need to officially get my degree! Arrrghhh!
  4. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

You know what? I love my dance practise...I feel we achieve so much.

But when I say I need to go home, I need to go home. Because, while I love dance, my priorities right now are:

1) Not failing this class that I am currently failing. Which means roughly 4 hours of study tonight.
    2) The dance comp on the weekend. This is lower than my Uni because I need to pass this course to get my degree!
    3) Not having a complete breakdown from the stress of having a 2 hour exam happening at the same time 2x2500 word essays are due...because my lecturer just doesn't want to do it during the exam period.
    4) Not running out of money because somehow that's still happening.
    5) Not letting my relationship break down because I'm still a bit of a wreck, and it's putting a lot of pressure on BF when I'm crying all the time.

So when I say I'm going home, I'M GOING HOME! None of this "Oh, already? You were barely here". Well, you know what? I drive an hour each way to the studio. If I'm there for an hour, that's three hours out of my evening. So you can just shut up and leave me alone. I do what I can. I can't do any more.
  5. fascination

wow...given all of that, I should say you ought to forego practice altogether until things calm down.....hang in there lady
    Lioness likes this.
  6. Lioness

I would if not for the comp this weekend...seriously unprepared.
    But it's a sensitive issue with me at the studio...everyone says "why don't you practise more?"

Because DP and I are busy busy people. That's why.
  7. fascination

Lio...you are a smart woman...so I am not going to treat you like a minor who needs my advice...but what I will say is : knowing you don't owe those people an explanation and believing it deep in your bones are two different things....you deserve to feel it in your bones...you have many important aspirations that you need to tend to in order for you to get where you want to be in life...no one at that studio is going to be putting food in your mouth or a roof over your head...they won't be paying your bills or achieving your lifelong aspirations...you don't owe them a thing....do the best you can at what you can in order of importance...people will have to deal with it...if they care about you, that should be enough...you are remarkable...you are doing a wonderful job...that is enough...if it isn't for some people...well then...ahem...I am too polite to say what I think you ought to wish them...hug...I hope things turn out well for you where it really counts
    Purr, Lioness and stash like this.
  8. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Effing hot weather + no a/c = cranky JA. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
    samina likes this.
  9. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

I am seriously out of my mind. Decide, with comp less than two weeks away, to make a new rhythm dress. Just woke up in the middle of the night with the design in my head and IT WOULD NOT GO AWAY. So, after sewing like the crazy woman I am, dress is finished, although not yet stoned. That is next weekend's project...
    Sania, mindputtee and j_alexandra like this.
  10. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

easily sorted..oh not that kind of stoned...okay.....;)
    j_alexandra likes this.
  11. Lioness

Argh I hate my Japanese teacher.

I went to her today for help clarifying a grammar point in a speech I have tomorrow. She pretty much goes "oh, I know I said formal conversation, but make it less formal. You're being too polite"

We've been told previously that you can never be too polite.

Then she says, after having a brief look, "if I were you I'd take last year's textbook and copy the grammatical structures out of that. You have a lot of mistakes in here" [giggle] "You have a lot of work to do" [giggle]

Uh. How about maybe pointing out some mistakes? Because I've read over it, and I can't find any glaring errors...and neither can my partner. Of course it's not perfect Japanese...I'm still learning. Telling me to read last years textbook and copy that won't help me. I don't want to do my assignments and copy grammatical structures just so I pass.

At this point in time, I don't even care if I pass anymore, as long as she's not teaching the class next time I take it. After meeting with her, I feel more confused, and more beaten-down. Instead of helping me, she's laughing at me because I'm too bad at her language to pass this (quite difficult) course.

I'm trying. It's not like I'm not trying. I researched that speech...put a lot of effort in to preparing it and trying to make sure my grammar was right. I don't know why it's not, and now I'm just really sad. I can't make a major uphaul to the speech the night before...we have to memorise it, and it's not fair to my partner. So I've fixed the politeness...to make it less polite...even though women tend to speak more politely than men anyway...and that'd better be enough for her unrealistic expectations.

I feel that if I know 60-70% of the content, I should at least be scraping a passing grade...but the 60-70% that I know seems to never come up in assessment pieces...it's always the more difficult things that come up...she puts trick questions in that we can't grasp the nuances of yet.

Just so sick of her and her [stuff]
  12. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

take french..............
  13. mindputtee

The site I buy my rhinestones from just increased their prices by ~$3 a gross. This makes me so so sad. :(
  14. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I've seen you answer similar questions in other threads, but how many gross do you usually order at a time?
  15. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Can't do much with a single gross, unless they're really large stones. Typically they're sold in packs of 10 gross. If the price increased $3/gross, that stinks!
  16. mindputtee

40, give or take. It's an increase in price of about 50% for my stoning. Gahhh... this means either paying a lot more, or going back to buying 10 gross packs, which means less variety in my stoning.

Yeah, the great thing was, this site sold single gross packs at a cost that was less than the per gross price of most factory (10 gross) packs out there. It meant I could really pick and choose what I wanted as far as sizes and colors and get a lot more variety. I should've known it was too good to last.
  17. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Oof, that stinks. I'd figured you'd probably need more than one or two gross at a time, but was a bit fuzzy on just how much more. That's pretty harsh.
  18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Or search for another site?
  19. Lioness

Got my first speeding fine in 4 years of driving...13km/h over the speed limit...$390 fine.

What can you do...you screw up, you've gotta pay the price. At least they have payment plans.
  20. fascination

holey moley that's a lot of dough...I've gotten busted for 22 over the speed limit (don't know what that converts to) and never paid more than 250