Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

They recently changed it...used to be in 15km increments...speed limit is 60, you get $190 or something for going up to 75...now they changed it so "minor" speeders don't get as heavy a penalty...60-70 gets $120 or something like that, 70-80 gets $330, then they add a victims of crime levy.

But, for someone who drives around almost constantly over the speed limit by at least 5km...I probably deserve it, tbh. It's been a long time coming and I am usually very good at spotting undercover cop cars. Apparently motorbikes hidden in the trees are harder >.>

2. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Holy schmoley. For my fellow Murricans, that's a $373 USD fine for going just over 8mph over the speed limit.

Lioness likes this.
  3. Lioness

Also got a phone call today...my state has compulsory third party insurance when you register your car, which means it covers medical expenses and stuff if you injure someone in a crash..

What they don't tell you is if you are more than 25% at fault for the accident...not 50%...25% at fault...you pay an excess of $480. That's more than the fine for driving an unregistered car (in which case the victim wouldn't be covered by CTP at all).

So when I hit the lady in March...even though she had no significant injuries on the day...the doctor said she was fine...is now costing me $480, which is probably less than the expenses for the medical care she received...and frankly she's probably only making the claim to recoup lawyers costs...because that is where most of the money seems to go.

Good lord. Today is an expensive day. And now I have to go to work.

Thank goodness Uni is finished in 2 weeks. I don't think I could deal with all of this plus a crushing load of assignments.

4. JudeMorrigan

Would I be correct in assuming that that 60 kph speed limit is for an at least somewhat residential area? I guess I can understand them being at least somewhat persnickity about that.

It's funny though. It's pretty normal for people here in the States to routinely go 5 mph over the speed limit. Not universal, certainly, but I know plenty of people who don't consider it to really be speeding unless they're going faster than that. I guess the number "5" just seems sufficiently small regardless of what the units in question are.

5. Lioness

60km/hr is on most main roads in residential/urban areas. For larger roads it can be 70 or 80. Side streets and the CBD are either 50 or 40, depending on the narrowness of the street.

And yeah...a lot of people drive 5km over. It's pretty safe in terms of car control to do 10km over, but not so much in terms of stopping distance, especially when rainy. Most radars have a +/- 3km/hr tolerance, too...which is interesting...because I usually don't drive more than 70.

6. JudeMorrigan

You know what's even more awesome than having A/C troubles in Alabama in June? Waking up with neck pain. I suspect it's a result of my having slept badly last night due to the heat.

7. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I wish we needed ac in Chicago (and I don't even have it!) Yesterday I was wearing a north face fleece and still cold. Stupid weather

8. JudeMorrigan

The irony is, I grew up in Florida in a home without an A/C. You'd think that if anyone would be ok going without, it would be me. But I am so very over summers (or very late springs) in the deep South.

9. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Man I wish I was on a beach in the South right now....

llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  10. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I was supposed to be on a beach in DE right now but rain and thunderstorms happened.

11. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I slept on a bench in Concourse C in ATL the night before last. I'm still a bit out of sorts because of it.

12. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Coworkers should have instruction manuals.

How on earth I was supposed to divine that after two days of me e-mailing back and forth directly with a contact on an issue (c.c.ing the coworker so he was in the loop) and two meetings on the issue where the coworker said not a single word, he wanted me to "check with him" before signing off on where we landed on the issue. He has oversight of the program, I have responsibility for all performance monitoring, and we were talking only about performance monitoring (I admit, of the program he's overseeing, hence the c.c.).

I'm still confused about the level of animosity that I caused... and really kind of offended that despite my apology for the misunderstanding and commitment that I'd check next time, he walked away while I was midsentence and refused to speak to me about what he'd like me to do to correct the situation. I've decided to not care, but I can't seem to convince my brain to let it go...

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

to apologize more would be to legitimize his bad behavior...you did what you could....sorry

FancyFeet likes this.
  14. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I so understand that....which is one reason why I love the Pacific Northwest, and the fan sitting next to my bed. :)

15. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

power play..shrug it off...you are not responsible for his feelings, nor his inablity to communicate what he needs...

NVC:
    2. Do not take responsibility for the feelings of others. This is another trap that one must avoid. If someone is upset with you, or with anything, it is an attribute of that person, and it is not about you.

16. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

jees..I am in an oap home masquerading as an architects practice..

b*sshole asks for me to print 3 drawings off...half an hour he asks for exact same 3 drawings for exact same contractor..do I point out this. Has he forgotten? or are they for someone else entirely and he is just be inefficent...

I need another job where there is at least a semblance of sanity...

and he doesnt do drg issue sheets so there is no record of what is issued to whom and when......o_O:mad::nurse: .

17. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

This week so far we've been cool. Shrugging it off, but remain wary of one-on-one interactions... since I've got less than two weeks to go at this job, shouldn't be a huge issue:p

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Depends...are you paid hourly, or salaried? If the former, no. If the latter, yes. :D

19. Lioness

Been thinking about my career path and uni degree and stuff...and I don't know whether I want to be a teacher anymore...

I don't know what started it, but now I'm thinking what do I do with three years of Uni I've done so far. If I finish at the end of the year, I can graduate from my Bachelor of Arts and then at least have a degree so I can travel and maybe do some ALT teaching in Japan...If I decide to do teaching after all, then I can probably get credit for the teaching courses I've already done, and I can do a postgrad teaching qualification.

But then, like, what do I do in the meantime? Go to Japan and teach ESL for a year or two...that'll be fun. Then what sort of career do I want? Teaching's always been a thing I've just figured I would do, because I know I'm good at it. But when I don't really want to do it...what do I do instead? I'm vaguely thinking of doing interior design or some kind of trade. There's a really cool degree at one of the Unis here that covers interior design plus basic furniture design...that'd be amazing, but it's an extra 4 years of study. The money side of it isn't an issue, because of the way our government funds university, but I don't really want to spend another 4 years in Uni...I'm sort of sick of Uni. So then I'm maybe thinking doing a trade in the military, or maybe a freelance writing/editing job. But then I think of interior design again, and considering that teaching earns pretty much a max of 72K a year, with little to no career progression, and interior design has a whole lot of career progression opportunities. But I sort of want to have a stable, full time job, even if I'm not earning huge money (because, frankly, anything is better than what I'm on now) by the time I'm 25.

I just don't know. I'm really confused.

20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

maybe finish this one thing and then use it to finance the next thing...and take a bit of a break?...see how the teaching feels and make some money...then decide ?