Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

That's vaguely what I'm thinking...I finish my arts degree and then I can go overseas...ALT teachers earn around 35000-40000AUD a year, and the positions often include subsidised or free accommodation. That's more than enough to save up something to have a little set aside.
    Purr likes this.
  2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

Some tough decisions! I remember going through it not that long ago... I kind of went to grad school because I wasn't really sure what I wanted to be when I grew up. And totally normal to ask these kinds of questions at big transition points!

Do you have to decide right away? From what's been posted here and on other threads, sounds like a break might help you figure out whether this is just temporary or permanent fatigue.

Short-term summer internships or something might also help you explore some other things you could do career-wise.

Just food for thought.
    Lioness likes this.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I applaud the rational thought...it is hard to be enthused about anything at the tail end of it...you just want to be done...but seeing it through and trying it out seems wise...at least find out...shrug...the great thing about being young is that you don't have to have it all nailed down...dh didn't make his true ultimate career choice until he was in his late 30s...and the things he did before that informed it and financed it...it will all iron out
    Lioness likes this.
  4. Lioness

Yep. At this point I'm pretty much set on graduating this year, assuming I pass my super-hard course this semester and don't have to retake it.

The only maybe-barrier to going overseas next year is that BF and I have always said we wouldn't do long-distance more than 6 months at a time...now it's possible he could come with it, but he's just started a video game design studio (how cool!), and might not be in a great career and financial position by the time I'm ready to go.

Having said that, I'm sure we could work around that. I'm pretty sure, and I think he's pretty sure, that this is going to be a really long-term thing. We could make it work.
    fascination likes this.
  5. Lioness

Side note...my country is really screwed up right now. For a supposedly liberal, open-minded country we are putting on a pretty shocking performance.
  6. fascination

?
  7. Lioness

It's political but I don't think there are enough Aussies on here to cause a fuss...but long story short is that we have our first female prime minister and she has continually been the target of sexism and crude misogyny by the opposing party AND a whole lot of Australians...A lot of people hide it behind "I just don't like her", but in reality most of the criticisms, and often by high-visibility journalists and politicians, are based on her appearance, her marital and family status, and her gender. In the last week alone, we've had a fake menu appear mocking her physical characteristics...at a political fundraiser for the opposing party (look up menu-gate if you're interested...I don't really want to post it here because it's pretty crude)...and then a high profile radio host ask whether her de facto partner, a guy, was gay, because he's a hairdresser. Despite the fact that they are living as a couple, and despite the fact that no other prime minister, ever, has needed to provide "qualifications" on their partner's sexual orientation.

And a whole lot of Australia still thinks that is ok.

EDIT: also in the longer term...she gained the leadership of her party by replacing the old leader in a coup...then held an election and still managed to win...this happens in politics all the time...happened in the opposing party many times over the last lots of years...and she is the only PM being called a liar and a backstabbing bitch.
  8. fascination

gotcha...thanks for educating me...I could say more but I will simply say that I thoroughly understand...I will leave it at that
    Lioness likes this.
  9. Sania

Sania Active Member

btm - are there any other employment options in your area? (I'm an architect too so I know the job market is not huge...)
  10. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

the housing market is stagnating so not much building going on...

may need a change in career...
  11. fascination

ow...that doesn't sound good
  12. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Thirteen people in my house for the past week, six of those under the age of ten. Love them, but I may never be the same.
    Sania and Larinda McRaven like this.
  13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

2 months of ongoing house renovations. And last night the contractor said "well I would have been done weeks ago but I can't work in a cluttered environment. You should have cleaned up after me since I am a messy worker."
  14. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

and you didn't rip him a new one? Or do you just want him to finish the darn job and get the heck out...
  15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

DW is about to go down for foot surgery. She's going to be off the floor until October.
  16. fascination

bummer...hope she mends quickly
  17. stash

stash Well-Known Member

got my car back, and it was used parts... Their are rusty things and the paint job, which they did before i got the job, has scratches in it, they didn't put the carpet back in right, and the liftgate on the inside is so freaking dirty with some white stuff and finger streaks.... Never going to koons again
  18. Aura

Aura Active Member

Bah! What a monopoly the video game industry has people under. I basically can't beat the hardest mode on Fire Emblem Awakening, aptly called "Lunatic", unless I have a lot of patience, which I do not, or purchase downloadable content. There's no way to level grind effectively unless you do that according to my quick research. Sure five bucks a pop is cheap, but I'm a broke college student. Hmph, well, I may be a gamer, but I've never been what other gamers would call hardcore. Whatever, it isn't worth it to me. Ahem, this is the end of my nerdy, video game rant. Had to get that out.

Edit: I am hoping this thread is accommodating to my very small, insignificant whine. My main point is can't people just play games to the fullest enjoyment without making further purchases necessary?
  19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It would seem to me that you are not the target audience for "Lunatic"...
  20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It would seem to me that you are not the target audience for "Lunatic"...
  21. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Stupid sh*tty forum software.