Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. bia

bia Active Member

sorry, double post.
  2. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I love dealing with doctors offices. Really, I do. I especially enjoy the whole "let's try to make the patient feel like a bad person for needing an appointment on a time scale that's not best measured in months".

(My apologies to the MDs here. In my defense, I'm frustrated and in pain. On the plus side, I do have a doctor's appointment for next week.)
  3. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

And I just smashed the screen on my phone. This is just turning out to be a delightful week.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

dude..I know people with cancer who've had to put their foot down and insist on treatment that wasn't months from now...sad but true
  5. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

My town has been buried in smoke from wildfires for more than two weeks straight. The air is so bad that we're supposed to stay inside as much as possible. I feel ill, and I hate it. I want to go for a walk in fresh air and sunshine!
  6. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

As for lecture...my Uni prides itself on being accessible, and a vast majority of subjects upload their lecture recordings online for students to access. Every class uploads the lecture slides.

Frankly, with this lecturer, his lectures are 100% not worth going to. He ums, and ahs, and waffles on, and gets around 20% of his lecture slides covered, then tells us to read the rest at home. I'd rather be spending that hour doing assignments that are worth actual grades.

Either way, it turns out that he was using my first-year picture, where I look completely different. That's why he thought he hadn't seen me.
  7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What? He's not familiar with the frequency at which Lioness changes her look on a whim?
  8. Lioness

Apparently not XD

My ID photo is probably about the least flattering photo of myself I've ever seen, though.
  9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

10. bia

bia Active Member

Oh, if he's enforcing an attendance policy without taking attendance accurately, he totally needed to be argued with.
    Sania likes this.
  11. Lioness

He relies on a sheet that gets passed around the class, rather than reading out names and ticking them off...IMO, very easy to miss the sign-up sheet going around.

New whine...dad forgot my sisters' 18th birthday...so I'm forgetting about Father's Day. Your youngest daughters are turning 18 and you don't even call? Unacceptable.
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
    fascination likes this.
  13. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Whine of the day:

Excessive abbreviations in the course of a typed conversation are annoying. Not everyone is "trendy" enough to keep up with internet slang. Besides, people spend so much time typing out volumes in defense of their position on a topic, they can't spare a few more keystrokes for clarity's sake? I don't want to have to drink enough Ovaltine to get the magic decoder ring.

Not picking on any one forum exclusively, as it's become a trend across the internet in other hobbies, as well. As this is the whining thread, I'm hoping it's the appropriate place for this whine.
    dancelvr likes this.
  14. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Seems like few people use proper English anymore. For quick texting, I can let it slide. But the sad reality is that people don't even seem to know what proper grammar IS anymore.

or:
    seems lk few ppl use prpr eng nymr, 4 quick txt ok.

It pains me to write like that. I can feel my brain cells revolting.
    Sania likes this.
  15. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

If I were to read abbreviated posts like that aloud phonetically, I'd sound like a Clan of the Cave Bear character, or someone who has an impediment of some kind.
    dancelvr likes this.
  16. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

if you ask me, it IS an impediment.

Have you ever seen those weird paragraphs written with backwords letters and numbers etc., and it says "if you can understand this paragraph, you are really intelligent!" Um, well.... to me you're intelligent if you can write it CORRECTLY. When I encounter college students (and graduates!) who can't form a proper sentence, I want to scream, and cry.
    Hedwaite likes this.
  17. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I use Swype on my phone so it's usually faster to actually write out the full word, though sometimes with hilarious consequences if I'm not paying close attention. I'll use abbreviations if I'm trying to keep it from overflowing to two texts or for things like lol and brb. If you're at your computer though there's no excuse for leaving off letters for no good reason. Lik dis if u cry evrtim. (ten internets to those who get that)
  18. Lioness

I haven't actually seen widespread text speak since around about 2007-8. Most people, what with autocorrect and all that, tend to use full forms of words in phone-based communication. Any text speak I see tends to come from the less educated 20-40 year olds on my friends list, rather than the teens.
  19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You can thank smartphones for that.
  20. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

Arg, picked up a nasty computer virus yesterday. After about 5 hours of scans and system restores, it's gone with all my files intact - but really, I had other plans for late yesterday and this morning!