Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

so now they're talking about raising the debt limit for six weeks and not ending the shutdown???
  2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Yeah, "nightmare" is the word I'd use to describe Illustrator.
    stash likes this.
  3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Who the hell knows. We've got people being furloughed for one day, called back, and furloughed again.
  4. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Er....WHAT???? Ok.....you've sent me flying off to my TV.....
  5. dancelvr

Ok.....the talk about raising the debt limit and not ending the shutdown is on the table. :mad: However, so is a temporary raising of the debt limit, and opening up the government for six weeks. I'm not sure which is worse....a long term shut down (in which I will go completely broke) or a short term reopening, with the threat (and real possibility) of another shutdown.

I'm having a cocktail.
    FancyFeet likes this.
  6. NURDRMS

Fidelity Investments announced that it has sold off all US debt in order to protect its shareholders. I am so very disgusted with our elected officials right now.
  7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Still whining re: federal shutdown

I've been furloughed since October 1 and I'm ready to get back to work. I went through 2 shutdowns in 1995 and 1996 under Clinton - 5 days and 3 weeks. I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now. I'm not sure who thinks they're winning by creating this mess. Even with the DOD folks back to work, there's still around 400,000 of us furloughed. I am very disgusted with our elected officials right now, too.
    stash likes this.
  8. dancelvr

Add my complete disgust to this list, ladies.

I'd love to enter into a discussion about who thinks they are winning in this scenario, but I don't think political opinions are quite the thing to do here.

I will say that there are several people in DC I'd like to smack right about now. *sigh*
  9. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

Stupid unreasonable deadlines on random consultation requests.

People, I don't mind reviewing your document, particularly when you're talking about what I do, but giving me 24 hours, and sending no context for it's purpose, and including a whole bunch of stuff on my program that makes me go "what????" with no indication of where the statements came from - especially when you don't return my phone calls - means that the feedback you're going to get is a big list of stuff to delete.

Grrr. (So glad I have the day off tomorrow to do pre-comp grooming and get in a happy place. Feeling violent right now, which doesn't translate all that well to being graceful, light and joyous on the floor.)
  10. NURDRMS

Actually, not all of the DoD folks are back at work. A great many of the traditional reservists, those who drop everything including their civilian jobs to deploy time and time again, are not able to perform duty until a budget or continuing resolution gets passed. Yes, they may have civilian jobs but by far most of them count on their monthly reserve pay to make ends meet. And lots of them, especially if they were self-employed, have lost their civilian jobs because they've been called to serve so much. Not a great way to treat these citizen warriors.
  11. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

A small whine compared to the shutdown and such, but my roommate has been in the bathroom for 45 min and all I want to do is take out my contacts and use the restroom so I can go to bed
  12. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Repeat offenders of silent farting in class. I KNOW who you are. You're the one at the epicenter of a ten-foot kill-ring dancing alone. Just you wait. I'm drinking a whole milkshake before class next time.
  13. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

oh, are you a Lactard?
    That can be a dangerous gamble for the lactose intolerant. It might not be *just* a fart... :eek:

whine: people who wear fragrance that smells like Raid ant spray
  14. Hedwaite

I'm bilactardinous, I think. It's either that, or pickled eggs, which, blech.

I wish I could find THAT ONE COLOGNE that is so popular that smells like sheep/raid. And ban it.
  15. dancelvr

So, my hair definitely needed to be trimmed. My regular gal is no longer available, so had to try someone new. She took one look at me, said.."Oh...I'll bet you usually wear your hair much shorter."....and in the blink of an eye (really....it was the fastest cut I've ever had), she had cut MOST of my hair off!! Gads.....I look like a dude. :(
  16. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

No, it's not a great way to treat the traditional reservists.

And with the federal shutdown dragging into it's third week, it's not a great way to treat federal employees either. While I'm fortunate I'm not financially hurting at this time, a lot of federal employees are hurting.
  17. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Unrelated whine. I went to a dance party last night, and danced a foxtrot with a newbie lead, who proceeded to give me hints about the dance throughout. One was, you need to take smaller (read into this tiny, tiny) steps. I just smiled and said nothing. It was interesting later on in the party to see the expression on his face when he seen me dancing a silver foxtrot with another lead. Yes, it's small and petty on my part, but I'm fairly certain I know more about basic american bronze foxtrot than he did.
    Hedwaite likes this.
  18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

and THAT is yet another reason why I avoid social dancing...this is usally also coupled with; "shes' supposed to be a good pro am dancer?....she couldn't even follow my lead"....uh no, I couldn't...but you go ahead and think that's on me
    SwayWithMe likes this.
  19. Hedwaite

Purr: After a "bad dance" like that, I usually have to have a "redemption dance" like the silver you mentioned. It's kind of a "get back on the horse" overcome sort of thing I do. I don't have to prove to myself I can follow- but I do like it when they see that I'm not "broke" when I'm dancing with someone who doesn't need fixing themselves. It's lost on people like that, though, because in their mind, they're right, and everyone else is wrong.

I have to honestly say I learned more about how to follow by dancing with "bad leads" than I ever did with good leads. I like being adaptable, and for the most part, I am moreso than many other follows in the area, but there are always the one or two (or five, now that I'm thinking of names) leaders who can't lead their way out of a wet paper bag with a flashlight and a Garmin... and want to blame the follower- when they're not "in-dance teaching" them.

To date, however, I do want to nut-punch the guy who messed up my shoulder by cranking me too hard in WCS (I will dislike WCS until "the party crowd" learns to develop some actual technique for the safety of lead-follow, and not lie to themselves about what's really going on- disclaimer: the not-party-crowd is exempt from this rant). I won't dance swing or hustle with anybody but my partner, my private students, and my coach, because I like my parts too much to crack them up by stupid.
  20. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Stuffed up a lot of stupid things this comp and we're only three dances in. Most of them leading/timing/forgetting the routine related. I'm looking for a new partner. I want to get better and level up and it's just not happening.