Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I agree about it being very helpful to dance with leads of all levels....that being said, when a guys' arms are never attached to his center, absent no visual clue there isn't a lot to go on (unless you happen to know the choreo their instructor teaches)...and I hate being treated like a bad follow for not being omniscent....so, to keep my own frustration low, when I do social dance, I try to keep it to a studio where I really respect the skill of the instructors ...I had the pleasure of going to a studio a few hours away when I was on business and I knew those instructors, and every single one of those guys could lead....it was SUCH a pleasure.....

2. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I have so many rants stored up inside my head about guys who seem to have intent NOT to do ANYTHING, however small right on purpose in class. And then when you start out "It's the-" you're immediately cut off with a "Okay. O-kay. Yeah. I know. Got it. Yeah." Okay, then, freakin' do it, if you're already a teacher.

If I didn't know better, I'd think they were TRYING to do it WRONG, just so they could get the extra attention. "This hurts your partner. Don't do this." It's very simple. They look right at you, and do it anyway, no matter HOW many different ways or times you explain it. Of course, I saw Idiocracy awhile back, so... my hopes for the future of male dancing isn't very high sometimes.

I don't lose patience with students, but I do become vexed when I see someone deliberately not applying themselves to shutting up and paying attention, and even TRYING to do something, all the while blaming and bitching. And kvetching, since I wanted to use that word today.

chomsky likes this.
  3. Hedwaite

And "Well, she keeps doing this wrong, and then that, and she's always this, and I told her this"-ing their partner... in front of them. So I says to them, I says "Hey, you know the best thing you can do to help your partner?"

"No- what's that?"

"Be silent."

"..."

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
    chomsky likes this.
  4. fascination

the longer I dance the more it becomes about respect...people who don't have it will be limited...whether it be lead or follow, teacher or student....and once you have established that, however much you try, mutual respect is not there ....well, it becomes a trying exercise...not dance

5. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

Totally bratty whine, because I honestly do feel awful for her: My pro's other competing student broke her foot yesterday. She gets a refund for the comp next weekend, while my cost goes up by, what, $1500? That's half of the new Rhythm costume I was hoping to buy in the next few months. Not fair. :(

chomsky likes this.
  6. Hedwaite

That's total crap, is what that is.

chomsky likes this.
  7. Hedwaite

First World Problems: I'm already running out of space on my awesome cool new cellphone, because I went app crazy. Time to start sorting. Sigh.

8. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

One of my precious cats has stopped eating, and is drooling like crazy. I'm thinking....dental problems, perhaps? *sigh* I don't need a big vet bill during a time when I'm not getting paid. And, those idiots in DC are no closer to opening the gov't than they were a week ago. But, I can't let him suffer....:(

9. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Completely unreasonable is more like it. Certainly not everyone can just cough up an extra $1500 with a week's notice.

FancyFeet likes this.
  10. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Um.....I'm having trouble computing that much of an upgrade in cost. And, I believe it's outrageous, IMHO.

11. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

Whoa everyone! It's all transparent, that number is *my* guess based on now paying all, rather than half, of my pro's daily rate and expenses for him and coach.

It'll work out, it just sucks all around. I'm just glad for my friend that the comp will refund for medical reasons!

12. Sania

Sania Active Member

I'm so sorry - I have cats too and I know what it's like to stress out when they are sick pr suffer. If he / she is not eating, it's important to seek attention immediately as not eating can lead to fatty liver disease (hepatic lipidosis). We went through that with one of my cats last year and part of the treatment involved wrapping her in a towel and feeding her special food via finger three times a day.

13. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Grr, I was all set to break down and buy a plane ticket for my Chicago comp in a few weeks. I normally drive, but my partner's family is making a vacation out of it, so I'll be going up separately. There's another guy from my studio that I *could* go up with, but he wants to come back Sunday. We're competing Sunday. That'd be an obnoxiously long day even in the best of circumstances. If we get stuck in Chicagoland traffic, we'd pretty much be hosed. Anyways, my whine is that the plane tickets are $100 more today than they were Friday. Flippity flap. Now I'm wondering again *just* how much I want to avoid having to drive back Sunday. I suppose I *could* drive up myself, but that's not exactly a cheap prospect either.

14. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Drive up with the other guy, then fly back?

15. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

That's a thought. I suspect I'm going to wind up just cheaping out though and carpooling where I can. I had been rather looking forward to the possibility of doing a comp that wasn't bracketed by obnoxiously long drives though;. :-/

16. Hedwaite

Sometimes, nice people can be real a--holes. People like me, who are usually blunt and awkward get a bad rap as jerks, but let someone who can "get along with everybody" with fake sincerity and all that sugar-coated "I stay positive!" BS do something really shady, it's okay because they didn't mean it that way. It's not dancing I get frustrated with, it's these people who think that just because you don't say something untrue to someone's face, it doesn't count as a lie, especially if you're doing it for "their own good" the way parents flush a dead goldfish and tell their poor dumb kids it took a vacation. I really hate people who think little things like that are okay to do to other people.

stash likes this.
  17. fascination

for me; being blunt doesn't automatically make you more authentic...there is a way to be candid...and I find that many people who excuse a lack of self-control for authenticity to be equally self-deceptive...shrug...behavior is a judgment call...I find it more productive to monitor my own .....people are messed up....all of us...in different ways....certainly some of us are trying harder than others to behave with integrity...but, in the end, I think that most of us are going to find annoying people nearly daily...I find that as I get older, few of those people are worth my time or reflection...I am trying really hard to comment on, concentrate on, and enjoy those who give me hope and happiness...it's not like the jerks are going to change for me

SwayWithMe likes this.
  18. fascination

on a related note, I guess my whine would be about people who whine aloud elsewhere instead of inquiring directly to me about issues which involve me

stash likes this.
  19. fascination

I do get your point though about it not being a favor to decieve people about important things, under some do-gooder guise...

Hedwaite likes this.
  20. Hedwaite

Guess it's a good thing it's the 'whining' thread.